>>> Street Photography eXchange #98 <<<

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,525Gear list
Like?
>>> Street Photography eXchange #98 <<<
6 months ago

SPX is a place to post examples of your recent street photographs for feedback, discussion and critical appreciation.

PLEASE post new photos as a reply to THIS MESSAGE directly, to help keep the thread organized and readable! Posting in “threaded view” will make immediately clear to you where you want your reply to be appended when responding to other photos and comments.

The street photography we love encompasses a wide variety of styles and subjects, but usually centers on spontaneous shots of people in public. You can emphasize personalities and expressions, momentary juxtapositions, form, composition, color; you can record life as it is lived, or flashes of the surreal, or moments of transcendence. Among the pioneers of the genre are Henri Cartier-Bresson; Helen Levitt; Robert Frank; Garry Winogrand; Mary Ellen Mark; and certainly many more. Street photography would not be what it is today without them, and no doubt is on its way to becoming something else again, with your help.

This is intended as a serial, ongoing thread, and will be replaced whenever the 150 post limit is approached; past threads will be numbered and linked in the current active thread.

As a continuous feature, the goal is to sustain an ongoing discussion and exchange of ideas and inspiration about street photography, as well as to get to know other photographers a little better. Everybody with an interest in SP is welcome to post photos, write comments and critiques, or just to lurk; please don’t be shy about participating in whichever and however many ways you like! But, posting your own photos helps people to understand where your comments are coming from, and commenting on other’s work can help us to see where your own pictures are coming from... so we hope you decide to do both.

SPX is an excellent place to share your latest favorite shot, the beginnings of your newest project, the discovery of a new approach to making the shots you want to make. Sharing works in progress, as opposed to completed portfolios, is encouraged; you can expect some genuine, hard, but positive critique here, and commenters will be able to fulfill that expectation better if you post no more than 1-3 photos at a time.

xtoph
Like?
>>> Links <<<
In reply to xtoph, 6 months ago

post links to resources and subjects of pertinence to street photographers here.

PLEASE post links only in reply to this message.

***boilerplate links***

SPX #97 : the SPX thread immediately preceding this one.

genealogy : various links and resources to some of the dpr street photography threads that came before SPX.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xtoph
Like?
stomping through the tulips
In reply to xtoph, 6 months ago

well, the mud in between the tulips.

DonnCath
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
Khalsa Cotton Candy
In reply to xtoph, 5 months ago
xtoph
Like?
Re: Khalsa Cotton Candy
In reply to DonnCath, 5 months ago

there are some very good faces scattered around this frame. interesting.

i am not a great fan of the high contrast lo-fi look, but given that it seems to be a consistent result, i guess it could turn into a style.

but if it were me, i would do what i could to reduce the highlight blow-out. lower contrast, lower saturation--such things can always be added judiciously later, but can't be effectively removed from a jpg if baked in at capture...

4G63
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?
Man's Best Friend

Manila Bay, Philippines

solveproblems
Contributing MemberPosts: 775
Like?
for peace

geraldPP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164
Like?
Market Place

solveproblems
Contributing MemberPosts: 775
Like?
pink

geraldPP
Like?
White Elephant & Green Buddhas

jacwashere
Contributing MemberPosts: 524
Like?
Absolutely gorgeous -nt
No text.
jacwashere
Contributing MemberPosts: 524
Like?
Curious

Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,155Gear list
Like?
Re: pink
In reply to solveproblems, 5 months ago

This is just wonderful. So much going on....and what's with those 2 women? It's like they belong in another image/park/setting.

Sal

Sal18's gear list:Sal18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,155Gear list
Like?
Re: White Elephant & Green Buddhas
In reply to geraldPP, 5 months ago

I'm really enjoying the graphics in this.

Sal

Sal18's gear list:Sal18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
DonnCath
Like?
Re: Market Place
In reply to geraldPP, 5 months ago

geraldPP wrote:

This is a great one. Love the colours and variety of the scene.

DonnCath
Like?
Re: Khalsa Cotton Candy

xtoph wrote:

there are some very good faces scattered around this frame. interesting.

i am not a great fan of the high contrast lo-fi look, but given that it seems to be a consistent result, i guess it could turn into a style.

but if it were me, i would do what i could to reduce the highlight blow-out. lower contrast, lower saturation--such things can always be added judiciously later, but can't be effectively removed from a jpg if baked in at capture...

Thanks. I think that look is just a phase for me. I've been using it a lot recently.

All my raw files are backed up, so I can always change the PP if I feel the need a couple years down the road when I'm flipping through old photos.

DonnCath
Like?
Mother and Daughter
geraldPP
Like?
After Work

geraldPP
Like?
Re: stomping through the tulips

xtoph wrote:

well, the mud in between the tulips.

Forgive me for playing around with your picture but I find it too contrasty, bluish and a flare hotspot in the woman's face so I tried my best to tame it (to your horror, I know).

Probably too warm for your taste but the original looked bluish magenta on my monitor...

geraldPP
Like?
Comfortable

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads