A77ii, so who is planning on getting one?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
RoxanneY
Contributing MemberPosts: 573Gear list
Like?
A77ii, so who is planning on getting one?
8 months ago

Just wondering with all the talk going on who is actually planning on getting one?  I am if there are enough improvements over the a77!

Roxanne

-- hide signature --

Don't focus on exceptional photography focus on exceptional subjects to photograph. -Bill

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MediaArchivist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,244Gear list
Like?
Under consideration...
In reply to RoxanneY, 8 months ago

I had an a77, which died and I "upgraded" to the a99 rather than get it fixed. I am considering the a77ii as a backup camera, and then probably the a99ii when it comes out... um... in the fall?

I only have one APS lens, the 16-50/2.8, but I have increased my lens collection considerably since the last time I used the a77. In a sense, I like to think having a full frame and crop in effect doubles the options I have with my primes... my 135[STF] can also be a 202[STF].

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Denis247
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
Re: A77ii, so who is planning on getting one?

just over 12 hours to blast-off.

4K video, tilt-up flash, inbuilt ND filter, inbuilt vertical grip .. under £1000 .. I'm in.

Denis247's gear list:Denis247's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,800Gear list
Like?

If its specs and features meet or exceed what is currently being rumored, and if they managed to fix the flash exposure problem the A77 has, then I will be willing to upgrade to it from my A77.

The only exception to that is if they manage to do a surprise announcement of a 36MP Full Frame that is as fast or faster than the A99 that does a true 1/250s flash sync.  That would give me pause to reconsider to wait and go full frame instead.

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +20 more
Samsolar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?

RoxanneY wrote:

Just wondering with all the talk going on who is actually planning on getting one? I am if there are enough improvements over the a77!

Roxanne

-- hide signature --

Don't focus on exceptional photography focus on exceptional subjects to photograph. -Bill

Yes, I am always looking to upgrade to something newer more advanced. It will be the A77ll or A7

Samsolar's gear list:Samsolar's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +2 more
BigGG
Regular MemberPosts: 365Gear list
Like?

It depends of the specs...  I have a A700/a77/a99 already so what I am looking forward to is the Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art. The truth is that I don't use 90% of the capability that I already have ...

GaryG

BigGG's gear list:BigGG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +42 more
SteveY80
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
In reply to RoxanneY, 7 months ago

I'm planning on buying one as an upgrade from my A57.

I've been considering the existing A77 for a while, so Sony will really have to screw up this camera to stop me buying one.

I just hope the don't remove any of the neat features that make the A77 such a clever camera. Some Sony releases, like the A58, are a case of taking two steps forward and one step back. The A77m2 should be an all round upgrade, with nothing cut or downgraded.

Assuming the leaked spec is correct, I'm not so sure I'd bother upgrading if I currently owned an A77 though.

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 19,081Gear list
Like?
be patient till

its released and still then you can wait a while till user reports appear and real world examples are around in various situations with all kind conditions/subjects and different lenses and so on.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Samsung HZ35W Nikon Coolpix P500 Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 +27 more
Miike Dougherty
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?
Re: be patient till
In reply to Marti58, 7 months ago

I really like my A57 and A77.  If the new body has 12 FPS with continuous tracking auto focus with less slide show effect in the viewfinder, I'll order the body right now.

Miike Dougherty's gear list:Miike Dougherty's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
bwigg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,192
Like?
In reply to Miike Dougherty, 7 months ago

I really like the A77, but I haven't used mine in several months due to the poor jpg output at hi ISO. I switched to Nikon, but I kept my Sony gear.

If they cleaned up the jpg output I am interested.

digititus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,353Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marti58, 7 months ago

Marti58 wrote:

its released and still then you can wait a while till user reports appear and real world examples are around in various situations with all kind conditions/subjects and different lenses and so on.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Guess we're all at a different place Marti.  I have Sony reward points burning a hole in my pocket.  Unfortunately, I will have to wait until they offer the new model on the Rewards site.  It would take some pretty bad reviews to keep me from cashing in!

Miike Dougherty
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?
In reply to bwigg, 7 months ago

bwigg wrote:

I really like the A77, but I haven't used mine in several months due to the poor jpg output at hi ISO. I switched to Nikon, but I kept my Sony gear.

If they cleaned up the jpg output I am interested.

You are absolutely correct.  When not using my A77, I use a D7100 and D800 and the jpeg files are really outstanding.  Therefore, I only post-process the RAW files from any of my Sony DSLTs.  The good news is that both Photo Mechanic and CS 6 can open Sony RAW files.

Miike Dougherty's gear list:Miike Dougherty's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,867Gear list
Like?

For $1000 I will buy. $1200 maybe. $1400 probably will wait for some kind of bundle or other deal.

Timing is important.  I would sure like to take it on summer vacation.  If it arrives after that... probably I will wait for a price drop.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A65 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +17 more
JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,996Gear list
Like?

I willl get one only if my a77 dies, or will wait a couple of years until they are on clearance.

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 NEX5R Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +18 more
phototherapy
Contributing MemberPosts: 770
Like?
It's all about performance

I will get one, IF the high ISO performance is drastically improved, the A6000 deliver very good ISO3200 pictures, even ISO6400 is usable. one expect from the A77m2 at least the same performance, but with the SLT system it's ?????????

K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,612Gear list
Like?

Based on what just got posted.. I am..

Later this summer after I see some tests.

especially if it tethers too.

Its like the polished the A77 so all my nits went away...

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,612Gear list
Like?
In reply to bwigg, 7 months ago

bwigg wrote:

I really like the A77, but I haven't used mine in several months due to the poor jpg output at hi ISO. I switched to Nikon, but I kept my Sony gear.

If they cleaned up the jpg output I am interested.

RAW takes no work with the right tool.. Not sure what the fascination is with buying and advanced camera and tossing out most of the data it collected so you can get an image in a format created to move well over telephone modems.

Instead of buying a new camera.. get a copy of lightroom..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
mproudfoot
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?

It looks fine to me - a slightly evolved version of my A77 which I still enjoy using.  The improvements over the mk1 aren't enough to have me buy one at this stage, but I suspect it's not really aimed at existing A77 users (though I daresay some with spare cash may go for it based on the AF improvements).  If my A77 died today though, it would depend on price - there is likely to be a lot more great value mk1 bodies available in the coming months.

mproudfoot's gear list:mproudfoot's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,916Gear list
Like?

RoxanneY wrote:

Just wondering with all the talk going on who is actually planning on getting one? I am if there are enough improvements over the a77!

Roxanne

-- hide signature --

Maybe...   depends on how well it works with the 'Version 1' 70-400G

Of course I will wait until:

- there are some proper reviews

- Some 'early adopters' have found the bugs for me

- I actually have enough money to pay for one!

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

EXX
EXX
Contributing MemberPosts: 502Gear list
Like?

I still use an A55, so I am really considering buying an A77ii. It will be a major leap forward.

EXX's gear list:EXX's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads