* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #313 14 04 30 *

Started 8 months ago | Photos
joeletx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,019Gear list
Like?
Re: Bride
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 8 months ago

Nice detail and color especially the deep rich blue. The E-5 is good at that.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,777
Like?
Andrew
In reply to 19andrew47, 8 months ago

19andrew47 wrote:

I have a 27 inch monitor and find myself with my face inches from the monitor trying to see detail that can not be seen well in the size of the image posted in the first. That said, it is hard to judge the image. In this case the details are everything once the lighting and setting have been established. This is not a criticism of the image itself but I find I can not judge it at this size. I want to see more detail in the area of the head and can not. I imagine it is there in the image before resizing but hard to tell. The lighting seems a bit harsh on the face in the first but I think it likely isn't that it is a result of the resizing.

The detail is there : I wish I could send you a file by PM but I don't have them on this computer.

Upload to Zenfolio was 2400x2400 but embedded here only 850x850.

Original size is most often roughly the short side of the sensor squared, with minor crop.

Going to Zenfolio may show more, as it shows images at browser-window size.

Here (last ones in my Wed C&C gallery) : http://roelh.zenfolio.com/p775804748

And beware: intended use for these images is internet + small size print. Nothing intended to be blown up beyond A4.

The make up choices here may be what the planner likes but it adds to the harsh look for me. Again, nothing to do with your image. Lovely dress and a nice setting.

The make up and dress : well, that is a matter of choice in style. Indeed pretty bling-bling.

The resulting images should also be quite glamourous (in an overstated way).

Not so natural as what I would prefer for a "natural" woman portrait.

Our western brides are usually much more subtle, but this lavishness is what the look dictates.

I like the second. Very nice and shows more of the fine details in the dress. Again, I suspect this would be even more so in the unresized image. A good pose by the model to take attention away from the appearance of the model's face and allow the bride to be to imagine herself in that dress and setting. There are a few stray hairs here that should be dealt with.

I am afraid I lack the skill to eliminate a single stray hair against a detailed background.

But frankly, I have not much ambition to learn that skill. I don't mind a bit of imperfect reality.

Good point on the anonimity of the view, allowing brides to imagine themselves in that kind of dress and head decoration. I'll keep the downcast looks in final selection, to contrast with the big bright eyes surrounded by improbable lashes.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Scott Whittemore
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,186
Like?
Re: I should've been clearer : she's not a real bride.

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Scott Whittemore wrote:

I'll start by saying that I've photographed two weddings in my life and I completely botched both of them so I'll understand if you dismiss my comments.

Why would I.

Because of my lack of expertise?

I've only shot one wedding found it to be a real challenge. The clients were happy, but the candid documentary style (although my own) was not easy to pull off. I can totally understand why most wedding photographers want to control the light and settings.

But what I wanted to say that I should probably have made more clear that this is not a real bride nor a shot from a real wedding. Basically this is advertising material for the wedding planner who also provides dresses, decoration etc. So there was NOT the time pressure and emotional expectations associated with a real wedding (but instead there was the time pressure of a commercial shoot that was planned a bit too tightly...)

That is in important distinction but, for what it's worth, I did understand that this is a model and not a real bride.

I find the first one very nicely composed and lit, with the subject very well defined against the background and I really love that cobalt blue against the warm, dark wood tones.

The second is a nice pose and the lighting is absolutely beautiful.

I got lucky with that. I also have quite a few samples where the side light is less flattering (on other subjects - this girl posed very well).

Both excellent, IMO, as I'very come to expect from you..

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

-- hide signature --
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,538
Like?
Re: Sinister Smile?

19andrew47 wrote:

Taken at the local fall fair in 2012, processed a couple of days ago. The intricate detail in the structural work is not all that visible until 100% view. Heavily processed to achieve the effect below.

Andrew

12 - 50 mm

In this stark, edgy (lots of edges) treatment devoid of discernible human presence my first impression is that the structure is a toy scale model. Bubble-gum pink sorta reinforces that.

In a "toy" context the center figure's broad grin doesn't seem at all sinister, but rather more like some movie-candy box logo -- Good & Plenty shapes come to mind.

The design seems constrained by its circular frame. The use of plus-signs for eyes is interesting; an eighth-turn and they would be letter Xs, which in cartoon illustration usually means the character is dead, like a fish out of water.

I do see that a viewer might find the center character sinister in the sense that it has no obvious relationship to the setting, i.e., I don't think it's a traditional carnival-ride emblem of "fun." This displacement from expectations could make it seem out-of-place, lacking a clear reason for its presence. For an orderly mind, suspicion may ensue.

-- hide signature --

Zin

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Scott
In reply to Scott Whittemore, 8 months ago

Scott Whittemore wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Scott Whittemore wrote:

I'll start by saying that I've photographed two weddings in my life and I completely botched both of them so I'll understand if you dismiss my comments.

Why would I.

Because of my lack of expertise?

Inexperience or lack of expertise has never stopped me from spouting my opinion...

No seriously, an honest opinion by any viewer is worth a lot.

I've only shot one wedding found it to be a real challenge. The clients were happy, but the candid documentary style (although my own) was not easy to pull off. I can totally understand why most wedding photographers want to control the light and settings.

But what I wanted to say that I should probably have made more clear that this is not a real bride nor a shot from a real wedding. Basically this is advertising material for the wedding planner who also provides dresses, decoration etc. So there was NOT the time pressure and emotional expectations associated with a real wedding (but instead there was the time pressure of a commercial shoot that was planned a bit too tightly...)

That is in important distinction but, for what it's worth, I did understand that this is a model and not a real bride.

OK, I misunderstood because you mentioned shooting weddings, screwing them up and seeing that as a possible disqualifier for giving your opinion here.

I find the first one very nicely composed and lit, with the subject very well defined against the background and I really love that cobalt blue against the warm, dark wood tones.

The second is a nice pose and the lighting is absolutely beautiful.

I got lucky with that. I also have quite a few samples where the side light is less flattering (on other subjects - this girl posed very well).

Both excellent, IMO, as I'very come to expect from you..

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Zindanfel
Like?
Re: The Big Picture
In reply to Scott Whittemore, 8 months ago

Scott Whittemore wrote:

From last summer, using the m.ZD 12-50 as a macro lens. E-M5, m.ZD 12-50.

The Big Picture (E-M5, m.ZD 12-50)

-- hide signature --

She looks like a pole dancer with quite a few veils yet to drop.

On my so-so laptop monitor the wings don't have the depth of color that I might expect to see in a true-to-life view, based on life experience of seeing moths in general, but I know zilch about this kind of bug.

The fringy trailing wing edges are interesting. Ordinary wear-and-tear, maybe.

The frame is bisected vertically by the stem and diagonally by the background, while the insect's body transcends the sectors created, unifying the composition.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Like?
Re: St Leo's Hall Belmont Abbey College Belmont NC-
In reply to savonie, 8 months ago

savonie wrote:

Just back from our yearly trek to Gastonia NC - Grabbed this from the car while waiting for the light to change - This is in Belmont NC a very pretty town-

Monty

Belmont Abbey College Belmont NC

Not much I could add beyond the constructive observations by Roel and Andrew.

Automobiles in photos seem best enjoyed individually, as sculpture, rather than collectively, as litter.

The main building seems to lean slightly left, but my impression of the lean may be influenced by the downhill-left slope of the grass strip along the bottom margin.

-- hide signature --

Zin

joeletx
Like?
Fresh Springrolls

Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +5 more
Zindanfel
Like?
Re: Windows and stairs...
In reply to stephent, 8 months ago

the colored windowsstephent wrote:

Hi everyone another from last weeks trip to Sydney, this one inside the Art Gallery of New South Wales.

Regards.

Stephen.

The low-maintenance, high-cost, "bomb-proof" stone construction seems more apt for a financial institution's facade of solidity/integrity than an art gallery's celebration of creative genius.

An ordered array of colored windows, plus light on the far walls, somewhat leaven a cold ambiance.

Arcs of a lone circular ceiling-light fixture and a foreground handrail curve stand out in the overwhelming abundance of straight lines, intersections, and hard edges

-- hide signature --

Zin

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Fresh Springrolls
In reply to joeletx, 8 months ago

joeletx wrote:

Good title. Funny.

The view itself feels like a layered cake with chunky bits.  Tasty.

The different hayrolls show a bit of perspective by getting progressively smaller, but not much.  Your initial distance from the first rolls prevents big differences.

I feel like the presence and mass of these rolls would be shown better when much closer to the first of them, and with a wider lens, to show perspective more.

But that is just taste.  Like in layered cake.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Windows and stairs...
In reply to Zindanfel, 8 months ago

Zindanfel wrote:

the colored windowsstephent wrote:

Hi everyone another from last weeks trip to Sydney, this one inside the Art Gallery of New South Wales.

Regards.

Stephen.

The low-maintenance, high-cost, "bomb-proof" stone construction seems more apt for a financial institution's facade of solidity/integrity than an art gallery's celebration of creative genius.

An ordered array of colored windows, plus light on the far walls, somewhat leaven a cold ambiance.

Arcs of a lone circular ceiling-light fixture and a foreground handrail curve stand out in the overwhelming abundance of straight lines, intersections, and hard edges

I will concur with these thoughts but add that I found the artist's (or curator's) intervention here quite successful.

The bright and vividly coloured windows add panache and life to an otherwise quite sterile, cold and even unattractive environment. I don't associate this kind of stone and concrete with solidity (as in a solid bank, haha), but rather with a wartime bunker.

So the installatiion throws me off balance, like kindergarten drawings in the despair under the Reichskanzlei around the time of Der Untergang.

But that is about the art.

What does the photography do? Well, it shows us these elements and their juxtaposition quite effectively.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

MikePDX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
Gelato on a rainy day

I'm visiting Lucca Italy this week and next and learning my how new E-M1 and 12-40 lens handles on a rainy day. Wouldn't you know, I leave the Pacific NorthWET United States for a vacation, only to arrive to rainy conditions in Italy. The gelato tasted just as good, anyway.

(Processed on a laptop with a questionable screen.)

Gelato on a rainy day

-- hide signature --

-Mike
You can observe a lot by looking - Yogi Berra
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Gelato on a rainy day
In reply to MikePDX, 8 months ago

MikePDX wrote:

I'm visiting Lucca Italy this week and next and learning my how new E-M1 and 12-40 lens handles on a rainy day. Wouldn't you know, I leave the Pacific NorthWET United States for a vacation, only to arrive to rainy conditions in Italy. The gelato tasted just as good, anyway.

(Processed on a laptop with a questionable screen.)

Gelato on a rainy day

Have fun in Italy.

I love that country and Lucca is a fun city.

I think I must have shots somewhere of my children enjoying icecream on the steps of some church there.  In sun however.

You mention your laptop screen.  I would adjust my brightness if I were you, because if this image shows up bright enough there, my personal opinion is that it could use another half a stop of extra exposure).

You may want to check and compare at home against your own better screen.  That is how I adjusted my laptop screen : by comparing the same image on both screens and adjusting until it seemed right.

Anyway, that does not hinder me from enjoying your image, mostly for the "we couldn't care less about the weather" happy go lucky attitude and also for the consistency of the colour scheme between kids and buildings.  No rain can make that less vivid.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Scott Whittemore
Like?

Nice composition and nice job positioning your subjects against the dark asphalt. I think the gray conditions go well with the brightly colored buildings. It looks like there are only a handful of other people braving the weather, which makes your subject isolation even better and adds kind of an interesting strangeness to the image.

On this display, it looks like the children's faces are slightly over-saturated but it's hard to tell with this limited image size and I don't trust this display.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
In reply to savonie, 8 months ago

I like the way the vegetation frames the building and the bottom hedgerow lines up with the bottom of the frame. There's not much going on in the sky and it seems you included a lot of sky in the composition. If this were mine, I would either try to bring out more definition in the clouds and/or crop out some sky. I also would want to try this in monochrome, where I think some drama could be added to the sky, giving it more of a role in the composition.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?

Nice cloning work, Andrew.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: Scott

RoelHendrickx wrote:

OK, I misunderstood because you mentioned shooting weddings, screwing them up and seeing that as a possible disqualifier for giving your opinion here.

Quite understandable.

I guess I was equating a promotional shoot for a wedding planner with an actual wedding shoot since I would imagine the objectives being quite similar. I hadn't thought of the key distinctions you describe.

-- hide signature --
joeletx
Like?

It is a hard picture to crack for me. It has -1 EV value and my guess was because of the black street surface; to brighten the kid on the left would blow the highlight the kid on the right.

yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 3,323
Like?
Dandelion

I don't do flowers (photographically speaking) but this dandelion was backlit and caught my eye. Of course I had to turn it into something else I think that now it's a geometrical shape. Taken with my new GM1 and kit lens.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

MikePDX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
Re: Bride

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Inexperience or lack of expertise has never stopped me from spouting my opinion...

No seriously, an honest opinion by any viewer is worth a lot.

Hi Roel,  well, inexperience hasn't kept me from responding here, either.  This may be completely off base, or it may be my questionable monitor.  But on this shot I feel that the side light on her right was a bit too strong.  The highlights in her hair seem to be a bit distracting in an otherwise wonderful shot.  (IMVHO, of course.)  That may have been exactly what you were going for, and if so, then congrats on a completely wonderful shot!

-- hide signature --

-Mike
You can observe a lot by looking - Yogi Berra
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads