* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #313 14 04 30 *

Started 4 months ago | Photos
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,222
Like?
Re: One of my favorites from last year.
In reply to Waynecam, 4 months ago

The colour and detail in the wing are very nice, and I also like how you have a branch in the other side of the image also within the focus plane to provide some visual balance.  But the little branch across the butterfly's wing does indeed distract me.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: St Leo's Hall Belmont Abbey College Belmont NC-
In reply to savonie, 4 months ago

savonie wrote:

Just back from our yearly trek to Gastonia NC - Grabbed this from the car while waiting for the light to change - This is in Belmont NC a very pretty town-

Monty

Belmont Abbey College Belmont NC

I also grab images from the car while waiting (or even when someone else is driving), but it is clear that one must be a bit lucky to get a really good shot with an attractive and clean composition in such circumstances.

Photographers are supposed to move around to look for angles and avoid distracting elements.  In this case, the green shrubs in the foreground obstruct most of the cars directly in front of the main wing, but I think we can agree that if you had had the time to park, get out, select a focal length, move around and pick your vantage point and angle, you would probably have been able to find a view that does this building more justice.

Working with the material available here, I would go for a vertical view, cropping off the parking lot and cars behind the wing (crop just to the right of that shrub I mentioned).

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Like?
The master of the pun
In reply to Zindanfel, 4 months ago

Zindanfel wrote:

Displayed against the outside wall of a local second-hand shop.

Shot with Canon FD85 f/1.8 on my Sony NEX-6, so equivalent to 127mm given the 1.5 multiplier for APS-C sensor. I had to stand well back. The Sony doesn't have in-body stabilization, so I used a fast shutter. The "legacy" FD lens on its mount adapter must be manually focused, but focus-peaking works fine. Open shade, no flash of course.

The items' price tags were virtually illegible due to sun-bleaching.

You really are the master of the pun.

The two elegantly weathered wooden items have nothing in common except their texture, until you unleash the "jeux de mots" of taking "fall" in two different meanings and put a smile on our face because of a strictly semantic similarity.

So what is it exactly that I admire here?  A photographer or a word-smith?

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,292
Like?
Re: Bride
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 4 months ago

Hi mate you might believe that you are out of your comfort zone but these two don't show it.

The main thing I found shooting weddings with multiple light sources was not to blow out parts of the dress or have the light spill into areas of the background. Theses two show neither of those problems.

The hair and make up are first class and the "bride" looks comfortable  with your style.

The planner will be please with these.

Regards.

Stephen.

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Stephen
In reply to stephent, 4 months ago

stephent wrote:

Hi mate you might believe that you are out of your comfort zone but these two don't show it.

Thank you for the boost of my confidence

The main thing I found shooting weddings with multiple light sources was not to blow out parts of the dress or have the light spill into areas of the background. Theses two show neither of those problems.

Those were indeed issues that affect some but luckily not a majority of my shots.

For each of the models (six total) I have enough good shots (I hope) of different poses.

The stress factor was increased by changes of the timeframe. The shoot was scheduled from 8.00 until 16.00 and we had to leave the building at that hour. I was there in time, but found out that make-up, hairdressing etc still had to commence. This took forever.  My lights were prepared in 15 minutes and then I spent a few hours just keeping myself occupied with "behind the scenes" docu shots.

Anyway, this circumstance greatly decreased the available time for actual shooting, and it resulted in not having enough time for careful adjustment of lighting between shots and poses. No detailed work with slight lighting modifications possible.  Sometimes I posed three girls in sequence in the same spot and just adjusted the height of my big softbox...

Ah well, I did the best I could.

The hair and make up are first class and the "bride" looks comfortable with your style.

She was definitely the one with the most natural and elegant behaviour.

The planner will be please with these.

I hope so too.

Thanks.

Regards.

Stephen.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Scott Whittemore
Senior MemberPosts: 2,935
Like?

Good detail in the butterfly's wing and in the nearby flowers. It's an interesting butterfly. Do you know the species, by any chance?

I like the colors. I think if this were mine I would do a square crop, cropping from the right-hand side.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: Ready for Fall

I like the photo and the double entendre.  It's a very nice composition, remarkable to me for the similarity in color and texture of the rake and crutches and the near absence of other colors. Well seen. I wouldn't change a thing.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: Windows and stairs...

I like this a lot. The zig-zag line of the stair with the colored "windows" at the vertex works really well. The lack of color other than the windows emphasizes the shapes and the colored windows. The lighting is perfect. Well done. I can't see anything I'd want to change.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?

I'll start by saying that I've photographed two weddings in my life and I completely botched both of them so I'll understand if you dismiss my comments.

I find the first one very nicely composed and lit, with the subject very well defined against the background and I really love that cobalt blue against the warm, dark wood tones.

The second is a nice pose and the lighting is absolutely beautiful.

Both excellent, IMO, as I'very come to expect from you..

-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
Like?
I should've been clearer : she's not a real bride.
In reply to Scott Whittemore, 4 months ago

Scott Whittemore wrote:

I'll start by saying that I've photographed two weddings in my life and I completely botched both of them so I'll understand if you dismiss my comments.

Why would I.

I've only shot one wedding found it to be a real challenge.  The clients were happy, but the candid documentary style (although my own) was not easy to pull off.  I can totally understand why most wedding photographers want to control the light and settings.

But what I wanted to say that I should probably have made more clear that this is not a real bride nor a shot from a real wedding.  Basically this is advertising material for the wedding planner who also provides dresses, decoration etc.  So there was NOT the time pressure and emotional expectations associated with a real wedding (but instead there was the time pressure of a commercial shoot that was planned a bit too tightly...)

I find the first one very nicely composed and lit, with the subject very well defined against the background and I really love that cobalt blue against the warm, dark wood tones.

The second is a nice pose and the lighting is absolutely beautiful.

I got lucky with that.  I also have quite a few samples where the side light is less flattering (on other subjects - this girl posed very well).

Both excellent, IMO, as I'very come to expect from you..

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: The Big Picture

Thanks, Roel. I had Lightroom's clarity slider at +45 on this. I had tried higher settings and it looked a bit forced to me so I backed it off.

The B&W version features the textural details a bit better, I think, but I felt the color version worked better with my title.

The Big Picture in Monochrome

-- hide signature --
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,216Gear list
Like?
Re: Sinister Smile?
In reply to 19andrew47, 4 months ago

Quite a surreal feeling to this image. I don't understand the title you gave it, however.

-- hide signature --

Florida
I'm going to the Florida Keys in early May. Offer suggestions in the thread below. Thanks.
Florida Keys - Places to photograph
Winter Wonderful Land Flickr Set
Fall Colors 2013 Flickr Set

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Like?

Definitely amazing detail on those wings.

-- hide signature --

Florida
I'm going to the Florida Keys in early May. Offer suggestions in the thread below. Thanks.

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Like?

Well, I'm certainly no expert at this kind of shot (or any kind of shot for that matter) but I can't find anything wrong with either.

-- hide signature --

Florida

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 11,968Gear list
Like?

Nice detail and oof background with pleasing colour.  At 100% the wings look almost like woven fabric.  Either it was large or you were closer than I have managed to get to butteflies.  Nothing I would change.  You are quite correct on going to high on clarity.  It usually takes more away than it adds.   A very mild application of local tone mapping might give more definition to the differences but I don't really think it is needed.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?

Lovely colour, especially after a long white winter!  Good dof control with both the butterfly and flower in focus.  The right side of the image adds an airy feel to the image.  For me, I would likely crop away most of the right side and go for a different look, perhaps even as far as a portrait orientation.  However, it is very nice as is.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?
Re: St Leo's Hall Belmont Abbey College Belmont NC-
In reply to savonie, 4 months ago

An attractive building Monty.  From the car window you did well.  Since you did not have a chance to do as Roel suggested and get a better angle to eliminate the parked cars, you could do it in post if you wished.  Just clone the shrubbery up taller.  For this as is it would benefit from a small crop to both the top and right side.  I have included an image below with the crops and the enhanced shrubbery for your consideration.  The cloning is quite quickly done.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Ready for Fall

As Scott said!  I have nothing more to add but didn't want you to feel ignored.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Windows and stairs...

Nicely done Stephen.  I like the shades and tones in this.  Also the 'art windows' add a nice touch of whimsy to the image.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?

I have a 27 inch monitor and find myself with my face inches from the monitor trying to see detail that can not be seen well in the size of the image posted in the first.  That said, it is hard to judge the image.  In this case the details are everything once the lighting and setting have been established.  This is not a criticism of the image itself but I find I can not judge it at this size.  I want to see more detail in the area of the head and can not.  I imagine it is there in the image before resizing but hard to tell.  The lighting seems a bit harsh on the face in the first but I think it likely isn't that it is a result of the resizing.  The make up choices here may be what the planner likes but it adds to the harsh look for me.  Again, nothing to do with your image.  Lovely dress and a nice setting.

I like the second.  Very nice and shows more of the fine details in the dress.  Again, I suspect this would be even more so in the unresized image.  A good pose by the model to take attention away from the appearance of the model's face and allow the bride to be to imagine herself in that dress and setting.  There are a few stray hairs here that should be dealt with.

Andrew

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads