New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
jintoku
Regular MemberPosts: 427Gear list
Like?
Re: Big upgrade with video
In reply to areichow, 4 months ago

Same here. I have no problems handholding the RX100 at 1/30 at wide angle - but the kids I'm often taking a picture of don't stay still for that long. Minimum shutter speed would help with that.

Why don't you shoot in M mode with Auto ISO?

jintoku's gear list:jintoku's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 RX100 III Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dpr4bb
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?
In reply to jintoku, 4 months ago

jintoku wrote:

Same here. I have no problems handholding the RX100 at 1/30 at wide angle - but the kids I'm often taking a picture of don't stay still for that long. Minimum shutter speed would help with that.

That's the other problem with the RX100 cameras. There is no auto-ISO in the M mode! Auto-ISO in the M mode would be a more-than-acceptable work-around, especially if you could also dial in an exposure compensation.

Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045Gear list
Like?
In reply to dpr4bb, 4 months ago

dpr4bb wrote:

jintoku wrote:

That's the other problem with the RX100 cameras. There is no auto-ISO in the M mode! Auto-ISO in the M mode would be a more-than-acceptable work-around, especially if you could also dial in an exposure compensation.

Yup! no Auto ISO in M on the RX100 or the RX100M2.

It would actually be ok if it were an option.

No fear though, while sony is known to not really update firmware unless its crucial, they've also been known to put new softare updates into its newest models. Their newer models all have auto ISO in M, so it is acceptable to assume the next RX will have it as well!

maple
Senior MemberPosts: 2,677
Like?
RX100 duo?

The new lens specs makes me think whether Sony should also come up with another 1" sensor RX model for the zoom range beyond, say, 80-300mm, to pair with it The duo shall be smaller than RX10.

And such a semi compact tele remain model could also prove to be popular as complementary camera to larger sensor cameras, interchangeable lens or fixed. Tele zoom for larger sensor are just too cumbersome to keep handy, even if you can afford them.

-- hide signature --

Maple

dpr4bb
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 4 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

dpr4bb wrote:

jintoku wrote:

No fear though, while sony is known to not really update firmware unless its crucial, they've also been known to put new softare updates into its newest models. Their newer models all have auto ISO in M, so it is acceptable to assume the next RX will have it as well!

I hope you're right. The new A6000 is great in this respect. Even at the widest end with the 16-50mm kit lens, the minimum shutter-speed with auto-ISO is 1/60. It also has auto-ISO in the M mode with exposure compensation. But it still doesn't let you dial in a minimum shutter-speed for auto-ISO in the A and P modes, which would be my first choice. With auto-ISO in the M mode, you still need to keep a close eye on the light meter, so you don't get over-exposed shots if the ISO setting bottoms out.

The other issue with the 1/30 minimum shutter-speed is that it prevents you from confidently handing your camera over to a third party for a quick snapshot. There is a very decent chance to get blurred shots. I think 1/60 is a much better choice for a full-auto mode.

lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,330Gear list
Like?
Ah, but your forgot something here
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 4 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

dpr4bb wrote:

jintoku wrote:

Ah, but this was addressed in the RX10. It does have Auto ISO in Manual mode.

I consequently would be extremely surprised if this feature is not also included in the RX100M3

The RX100M3 may well be the cat's meow.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,829
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!

jintoku wrote:

This deserves its own thread: SAR link

I for one am exited about this as I value the 24-28 range slightly higher than the 70-100 range.

+1

Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045Gear list
Like?
Re: Ah, but your forgot something here
In reply to lancespring, 4 months ago

love it!!

b534202
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?

jintoku wrote:

I for one am exited about this as I value the 24-28 range slightly higher than the 70-100 range.

Would be better if they put out 2 new RX100s with the 2 rumored lenses, and let people choose.

b534202's gear list:b534202's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,110
Like?

lancespring wrote:

The RX100M3 may well be the cat's meow.

If that cat is any indication of the size of the RX100M3 then I don't want anything to do with it!

Are you sure that isn't from some view camera forum? 

technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,699Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 duo?
In reply to maple, 4 months ago

maple wrote:

The new lens specs makes me think whether Sony should also come up with another 1" sensor RX model for the zoom range beyond, say, 80-300mm, to pair with it The duo shall be smaller than RX10.

It would not be smaller than RX10, just the 80-300mm model would be a lot bigger due to the 300mm. Not a good idea, this would not have any practical advantage except maybe optimizing the optical performance of the lens which would be tele only (but the target audience doesn't seem very interested in high optical quality ...).

And such a semi compact tele remain model could also prove to be popular as complementary camera to larger sensor cameras, interchangeable lens or fixed. Tele zoom for larger sensor are just too cumbersome to keep handy, even if you can afford them.

There is a 70-300mm equiv. zoom for Nikon 1. But this works because Nikon 1 has removable lenses ...

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
jules153
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
In reply to dpr4bb, 4 months ago

dpr4bb wrote:

The other issue with the 1/30 minimum shutter-speed is that it prevents you from confidently handing your camera over to a third party for a quick snapshot. There is a very decent chance to get blurred shots. I think 1/60 is a much better choice for a full-auto mode.

Indeed. I'm fine with 1/30 second but when handing to other to take a shot I slip it into S mode and 1/60

-- hide signature --

Jules.

jules153's gear list:jules153's gear list
Sony RX100
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,282
Like?
In reply to b534202, 4 months ago

I like the new focal width but not long enough. I love my rx100ii but sometimes wish it were a little bit wider and a little bit longer. 70mm is too short as I am finding out with my a7r and always seem to be cropping but have so many more mps to play with. I won't be getting the new model.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Sulis2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041
Like?
In reply to Fredy Ross, 4 months ago

No touchscreen is a bit of a dampener...

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,315
Like?

lancespring wrote:

Ah, but this was addressed in the RX10. It does have Auto ISO in Manual mode.

I consequently would be extremely surprised if this feature is not also included in the RX100M3

You're killing me !  I haven't had G.A.S. in a couple years (since getting my RX100) ... nothing I want for my DSLR, no new lenses, don't even desire an upgrade to my 3-4 year old DSLR body.  My RX100 has been great, but give it a built in VF, tilting LCD, f/1.8-2.8 lens (the range is ok; I'd trade in the extra tele in exchange for f/2.8 at 70mm equivalent) *and* Auto ISO in M mode and all I can do is hope that it's a big beastly thing that would never fit in my pocket, so I have no desire for it

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,874Gear list
Like?

jintoku wrote:

I'm relieved with the specifications. There will be no temptation whatsoever to buy this one. I find the 100 mm zoom range and the F stop at max zoom the most limiting factor, and 28 mm at the wide end just fine. Bringing the lens down to 24 mm is going to mean major barrel  distortion that is going to have to be corrected in the RAW software. The correction required for the existing 28 mm is near the maximum that can be corrected already.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Samaistuin
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?
In reply to Ron AKA, 4 months ago

Ron AKA wrote:

Bringing the lens down to 24 mm is going to mean major barrel distortion that is going to have to be corrected in the RAW software.

Seeing that they're sacrificing the long end of the zoom so as to widen it, why would it be?

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,315
Like?
In reply to Fredy Ross, 4 months ago

Fredy Ross wrote:

I like the new focal width but not long enough.

Hmmm, I was thinking that I'd happily trade away the tele end in exchange for f/2.8 at the 70mm equivalent mark.  But looking at the chart that dpreview put up in its 2012 compact roundup, it appears that the RX100 is f/4 at 70mm equivalent.  So the new lens would be just 1 stop faster.

Now I'm not so sure which I'd prefer (the existing 1.8-4.9 or the shorter 1.8-2.8) if given the choice.  I also find the RX100s lens a bit short at times, and would prefer 28-140 equivalent.  Anything shy of 300mm equivalent is going to be short at some point ... but I had 28-140 on an old Canon and found that lens very satisfying.  The thing is, my RX100 is a pocketable alternative to my DSLR, so I'm happier with some compromises than if it were my primary camera.  Fast lens or not, I'm intrigued by the built in VF and tilting LCD that SAR claims it will have.  A couple nights ago, I was shooting into a sunset with EV -1.7 and having a really hard time seeing what I was shooting in the LCD.  A viewfinder would have helped.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,699Gear list
Like?
In reply to Samaistuin, 4 months ago

Samaistuin wrote:

Ron AKA wrote:

Bringing the lens down to 24 mm is going to mean major barrel distortion that is going to have to be corrected in the RAW software.

Seeing that they're sacrificing the long end of the zoom so as to widen it, why would it be?

Exactly, Ron is wrong in his assumption. It is a different lens, not the original 28-100 stretched even further down. Shorter maximum tele, shorter zoom reach - both should help in producing better image quality, if they want (= if they don't try to make the lens even more compact than it already was). Just look at APS-C and FF, there are some excellent lenses with that focal length range and very little distortion.

If anything, 28mm on the RX100-3 should have less distortion and sharper corners than 28mm on the RX100-1/2.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,874Gear list
Like?
In reply to Samaistuin, 4 months ago

Samaistuin wrote:

Ron AKA wrote:

The distortion problem is at the wide end, not the long end. The RX100 has essentially zero distortion at 100 mm. At 28 mm however it is really bad. It of course was part of the lens design and the JPEG engine takes it out, and so does the better RAW developers. Time will tell which is worse, but this is what a 28 mm shot looks like from the RX100 without correction. And, yes, the shot is of normal graph paper with straight lines.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads