New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
jintoku
Regular MemberPosts: 427Gear list
Like?
New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
4 months ago

This deserves its own thread: SAR link

I for one am exited about this as I value the 24-28 range slightly higher than the 70-100 range.

 jintoku's gear list:jintoku's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 RX100 III Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,396Gear list
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
In reply to jintoku, 4 months ago

jintoku wrote:

This deserves its own thread: SAR link

I for one am exited about this as I value the 24-28 range slightly higher than the 70-100 range.

Yes. For casual snaps and such, the wider angle is better. I just hope it maintains f2.0-2.2ish in the 35mm range.. on the RX100, the f value dropped off way too quickly.

 Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,915Gear list
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
In reply to Jogger, 4 months ago

Jogger wrote:

jintoku wrote:

This deserves its own thread: SAR link

I for one am exited about this as I value the 24-28 range slightly higher than the 70-100 range.

Yes. For casual snaps and such, the wider angle is better. I just hope it maintains f2.0-2.2ish in the 35mm range.. on the RX100, the f value dropped off way too quickly.

Yes, I am concerned how quickly the aperture drops.  I hope it is more gradual this time.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
In reply to jintoku, 4 months ago

jintoku wrote:

This deserves its own thread: SAR link

I for one am exited about this as I value the 24-28 range slightly higher than the 70-100 range.

Agreed. This could be amazing.

And I just sold my RX100M2 a few days ago, so I'm all set to upgrade.

 Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,699Gear list
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
In reply to SHood, 4 months ago

SHood wrote:

Jogger wrote:

jintoku wrote:

This deserves its own thread: SAR link

I for one am exited about this as I value the 24-28 range slightly higher than the 70-100 range.

Yes. For casual snaps and such, the wider angle is better. I just hope it maintains f2.0-2.2ish in the 35mm range.. on the RX100, the f value dropped off way too quickly.

Yes, I am concerned how quickly the aperture drops. I hope it is more gradual this time.

Probably f/2.2 at 35mm (plus or minus 1/3 stop), considering it is f/2.8 at 70mm...

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,699Gear list
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
In reply to Tapper123, 4 months ago

Agree as well; 24-100 would have been better but if they improved the corner quality I'm happy with 24-70.

Of course I'm now extra-curious what the Nikon P8000 is going to offer (tilt screen, EVF?), how much bigger / heavier it is (similar aperture but much longer tele range) and how the image quality compares between the two. Let's hope we hear more from Nikon soon

Remember the Panny LX3 from 6 years ago (24-60mm f/2.0-f/2.8)? RX100-3 has slightly better lens spec and a MUCH bigger sensor

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,915Gear list
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
In reply to technic, 4 months ago

technic wrote:

Agree as well; 24-100 would have been better but if they improved the corner quality I'm happy with 24-70.

Of course I'm now extra-curious what the Nikon P8000 is going to offer (tilt screen, EVF?), how much bigger / heavier it is (similar aperture but much longer tele range) and how the image quality compares between the two. Let's hope we hear more from Nikon soon

Remember the Panny LX3 from 6 years ago (24-60mm f/2.0-f/2.8)? RX100-3 has slightly better lens spec and a MUCH bigger sensor

Amazing to see how the fast fixed zoom has progressed over the past few years.  I will wait for the P8000 before deciding what would replace my RX100M1. Olympus is also coming with a large sensor fixed zoom but I haven't seen any confirmed dates yet.

I don't want to go backwards in IQ with video so it the P8000 or RX100M3 would be the likely solutions.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
In reply to jintoku, 4 months ago

It's all about the money.  If they keep the price the same, it's a home run.  The lens itself makes it a worthwhile upgrade.  The EVF would be an added bonus.  Dare we ask for app compatibility?

Honestly, I don't think Sony could raise the price, as it's already at the top end of the enthusiest compact camera category.

I'm glad I have 45 day return privileges with Best Buy.  

 Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,699Gear list
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
In reply to SHood, 4 months ago

SHood wrote:

technic wrote:

Agree as well; 24-100 would have been better but if they improved the corner quality I'm happy with 24-70.

Of course I'm now extra-curious what the Nikon P8000 is going to offer (tilt screen, EVF?), how much bigger / heavier it is (similar aperture but much longer tele range) and how the image quality compares between the two. Let's hope we hear more from Nikon soon

Remember the Panny LX3 from 6 years ago (24-60mm f/2.0-f/2.8)? RX100-3 has slightly better lens spec and a MUCH bigger sensor

Amazing to see how the fast fixed zoom has progressed over the past few years. I will wait for the P8000 before deciding what would replace my RX100M1. Olympus is also coming with a large sensor fixed zoom but I haven't seen any confirmed dates yet.

I don't want to go backwards in IQ with video so it the P8000 or RX100M3 would be the likely solutions.

Yes, quite a change in a few years but much of the progress is due to in-camera processing that enables more compact and affordable lenses. This often means lower IQ in the borders/corners, so it is not a free lunch. It will be interesting to see what compromise the latest big sensor compacts (G1X II, RX100-3, P8000) offer, especially regarding optics quality. We won't know for sure until all of them are really available, could take 1-2 months (for the P8000).

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Samaistuin
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
In reply to Dandrewk, 4 months ago

Dandrewk wrote:

It's all about the money. If they keep the price the same, it's a home run. The lens itself makes it a worthwhile upgrade. The EVF would be an added bonus. Dare we ask for app compatibility?

Some won't be happy with the trade-off, one more reason to keep two RX100 on offer.
But which will go? The original or the M2? The answer isn't obvious.

Honestly, I don't think Sony could raise the price, as it's already at the top end of the enthusiest compact camera category.

I think so too but I wouldn't be surprised to witness them ask for 50€ more...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,334
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
In reply to technic, 4 months ago

technic wrote:

Agree as well; 24-100 would have been better but if they improved the corner quality I'm happy with 24-70.

Of course I'm now extra-curious what the Nikon P8000 is going to offer (tilt screen, EVF?), how much bigger / heavier it is (similar aperture but much longer tele range) and how the image quality compares between the two. Let's hope we hear more from Nikon soon

Remember the Panny LX3 from 6 years ago (24-60mm f/2.0-f/2.8)? RX100-3 has slightly better lens spec and a MUCH bigger sensor

Yes, I remember the LX3, and was wondering when we were going to see a manufacturer again resist the temptation of more zoom to bring us the brightest lens possible in the smallest package. It looks like this could be it.

To me, 24-70mm is the PERFECT range in this regard. 70mm is just enough as a portrait focal length, and 24mm gives you the wider angle when the current 28mm is not quite enough. My only concern, as other have stated, is that it remains fast until at least 28mm. Hopefully the new lens design accomplishes this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,396Gear list
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
In reply to Dandrewk, 4 months ago

They will just sell the M2 and M3 side by side, with the M3 being the premium model. Once the early adopters pick up the M3 at full retail, they will apply promotions and such and discontinue the M2... right around when the M4 will be announced.

Dandrewk wrote:

It's all about the money. If they keep the price the same, it's a home run. The lens itself makes it a worthwhile upgrade. The EVF would be an added bonus. Dare we ask for app compatibility?

Honestly, I don't think Sony could raise the price, as it's already at the top end of the enthusiest compact camera category.

I'm glad I have 45 day return privileges with Best Buy.

 Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,915Gear list
Like?
Big upgrade with video
In reply to jintoku, 4 months ago

According to comments by the admin at Sonyrumors the Video will be a lot better.  My guess is full sensor readout like the RX10.

"yes it has a lot better video. More about it as soon as I have the full specs"

This was from 4 hours ago so we should see the full specs very soon.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dpr4bb
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?
Re: Big upgrade with video
In reply to SHood, 4 months ago

SHood wrote:

According to comments by the admin at Sonyrumors the Video will be a lot better. My guess is full sensor readout like the RX10.

"yes it has a lot better video. More about it as soon as I have the full specs"

This was from 4 hours ago so we should see the full specs very soon.

That is great news, if true. Now, if they would only do something about that 1/30 minimum shutter speed...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045Gear list
Like?
Re: Big upgrade with video
In reply to dpr4bb, 4 months ago

1/30 would be fine if the IS was better at the wide end, which is really what they should be working on.

I get less blurry shots with my Canon S90 at slower shutter speeds (handheld) in the dark vs the RX100M2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,915Gear list
Like?
Re: Big upgrade with video
In reply to dpr4bb, 4 months ago

dpr4bb wrote:

SHood wrote:

According to comments by the admin at Sonyrumors the Video will be a lot better. My guess is full sensor readout like the RX10.

"yes it has a lot better video. More about it as soon as I have the full specs"

This was from 4 hours ago so we should see the full specs very soon.

That is great news, if true. Now, if they would only do something about that 1/30 minimum shutter speed...

I am surprised that wasn't fixed with the RX100M2.  Since the RX10 has the same issue we may still have to deal with it.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,699Gear list
Like?
Re: Big upgrade with video
In reply to SHood, 4 months ago

SHood wrote:

dpr4bb wrote:

SHood wrote:

According to comments by the admin at Sonyrumors the Video will be a lot better. My guess is full sensor readout like the RX10.

"yes it has a lot better video. More about it as soon as I have the full specs"

This was from 4 hours ago so we should see the full specs very soon.

That is great news, if true. Now, if they would only do something about that 1/30 minimum shutter speed...

I am surprised that wasn't fixed with the RX100M2. Since the RX10 has the same issue we may still have to deal with it.

IS is usually related to the lens mechanism, so one can hope they changed it in the new lens. Even better if you can set the minimum shutter speed yourself

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,915Gear list
Like?
Re: Big upgrade with video
In reply to technic, 4 months ago

technic wrote:

SHood wrote:

dpr4bb wrote:

SHood wrote:

According to comments by the admin at Sonyrumors the Video will be a lot better. My guess is full sensor readout like the RX10.

"yes it has a lot better video. More about it as soon as I have the full specs"

This was from 4 hours ago so we should see the full specs very soon.

That is great news, if true. Now, if they would only do something about that 1/30 minimum shutter speed...

I am surprised that wasn't fixed with the RX100M2. Since the RX10 has the same issue we may still have to deal with it.

IS is usually related to the lens mechanism, so one can hope they changed it in the new lens. Even better if you can set the minimum shutter speed yourself

Yes, aperture priority with min. shutter speed would be the ideal solution.  I am more interested in capturing people movement so basing the shutter speed solely on focal length would be of no use for these situations.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,322Gear list
Like?
Re: Big upgrade with video
In reply to SHood, 4 months ago

Same here. I have no problems handholding the RX100 at 1/30 at wide angle - but the kids I'm often taking a picture of don't stay still for that long. Minimum shutter speed would help with that.

 areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dpr4bb
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?
Re: Big upgrade with video
In reply to SHood, 4 months ago

SHood wrote:

technic wrote:

SHood wrote:

dpr4bb wrote:

SHood wrote:

According to comments by the admin at Sonyrumors the Video will be a lot better. My guess is full sensor readout like the RX10.

"yes it has a lot better video. More about it as soon as I have the full specs"

This was from 4 hours ago so we should see the full specs very soon.

That is great news, if true. Now, if they would only do something about that 1/30 minimum shutter speed...

I am surprised that wasn't fixed with the RX100M2. Since the RX10 has the same issue we may still have to deal with it.

IS is usually related to the lens mechanism, so one can hope they changed it in the new lens. Even better if you can set the minimum shutter speed yourself

Yes, aperture priority with min. shutter speed would be the ideal solution. I am more interested in capturing people movement so basing the shutter speed solely on focal length would be of no use for these situations.

Exactly!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads