Canon G1X MK II in UK at last - a few samples and questions

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
lynda07
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
Canon G1X MK II in UK at last - a few samples and questions
8 months ago

Hi

Finally got my G1X MK II today (thank you Jessops). As is usually the case when you get a new camera it's a dull day with little to take photos of. But nevertheless, here are my first few photos, straight from the camera.

I've a couple of questions for new owners of this camera please.

1) How are you processing RAW - presumably I need to download some Canon software as it looks as if the days of the camera coming boxed with a CD are over

2) Any idea why my first video is quite simply dreadful? Almost unwatchable due to being so jerky and not user error - it's terrible. I can' think how I could have the wrong settings but I'm hoping it's something as simple as that (not sure if I can post it on here for you to see but if it's allowed and anyone can help then I will).

Anyway, I welcome your comments and answers.

Cheers

Lynda

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,675Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon G1X MK II in UK at last - a few samples and questions
In reply to lynda07, 8 months ago

Congratulations on getting your new camera!!

I can answer your first question, but not the second.

Yes, you need to go to the Canon UK website and download DPP, or come to think of it, you probably want to download the entire Canon software package for the G1X-II there.  You need to do the new camera install of DPP.  That is an excellent RAW converter and will give you good results.  I personally do not use the rest of the Canon software, but love DPP.  I transfer photos from the camera with a card reader.

Best of luck with it.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lynda07
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, 8 months ago

Thank you for that - really helpful.

Lynda

Feudal1
Regular MemberPosts: 351Gear list
Like?

You can upload video to YouTube, and link to that from here.

The video capabilities of the G1X MkII aren't great. But the stabilized lens should help to keep things from being too jerky.

For reference, I posted a video I shot last week with the G1X MkII (just after dusk, so it's low-light and not the best - plan on going back to shoot again with better light). Make sure you select 1080p on YouTube, so that the quality is better when viewing it. As you can see, it's pretty stable. Any real jerkiness and wobbling is related to my moving/panning the camera down the river. Is that what you are seeing? Or is the video wobbly/jerky when just standing still?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUFfxFWEN8c&list=UU1K-OqwexCw2781M30PO11g

Feudal1's gear list:Feudal1's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X100T Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM
Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?

For RAW processing as Dale said there is DPP.  Lightroom 5.4 also works although I don't think it is the final profile for the G1XmkII.  Personally I find it recovers highlights better than DPP but I haven't used DPP much and certainly am not expert in either.  Of course if you don't have Lightroom its no where near as inexpensive as DPP which is free.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
lynda07
Like?
In reply to Ranlee, 8 months ago

Thanks. I'm posting the video under a separate thread - it's truly awful though

LensElf
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
In reply to Feudal1, 8 months ago

It might be two beers that stabilizes this video for me, but I thought it was pretty good!

LensElf's gear list:LensElf's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D7000
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 4,027
Like?

lynda07 wrote:

1) How are you processing RAW - presumably I need to download some Canon software as it looks as if the days of the camera coming boxed with a CD are over

Did you not get a disc with camera containing Canon's DPP Raw conversion software?

shg
shg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,376Gear list
Like?
In reply to meland, 8 months ago

No software disc comes with the camera, you have to download it from Canon's website
--
www.pbase.com/shg2

http://i.pbase.com/o5/38/609438/1/67685336.UlgH323h.shg2logo.jpg

shg's gear list:shg's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads