Sony a6000 Build Quality

Started Apr 29, 2014 | Discussions
marc petzold
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony a6000 Build Quality
In reply to Azurael, Apr 30, 2014

for what reason a touchscreen? i find it strange that ppl want a "touchscreen" on a good camera - for myself, i can only accept this onto a smartphone, but not on serious gear, like on a camera/DSLR.

marc petzold's gear list:marc petzold's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Samsung TL500 Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +58 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 4,330
Like?
In reply to marc petzold, Apr 30, 2014

Because you can choose your focus point and take a picture in an instant? I find it useful on my bad  cameras and I would think it would be useful on my good camera which I suppose is the Nex 6 and maybe the A3000?

marc petzold wrote:

for what reason a touchscreen? i find it strange that ppl want a "touchscreen" on a good camera - for myself, i can only accept this onto a smartphone, but not on serious gear, like on a camera/DSLR.

jtyoung
Contributing MemberPosts: 526
Like?
In reply to captura, Apr 30, 2014

captura wrote:

jtyoung wrote:

captura wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

My point being, nobody really knows exactly what the build composition of the A6000 is.

Until someone tears one apart or Sony publishes a cutaway or something, what do we really know, and what difference does it make? A paper thin aluminum skin in front of the very same metal and other parts inside doesn't make much difference to me, at least. I know having a metal top plate on my NX300 doesn't give it a better quality feel than my new A6000.

THAT SAID, if you find a worn Leica M9 or an older all-metal film camera from the 60's, they tend to 'brass' around the edges and that's kind of cool - but we're talking very old, or very expensive. Pretty much everything else these days is a super thin skin over a tight tangle of innards.

Metallic objects, like the NEX-5 & NEX-7 feel cool to the touch. Plastic objects ( A5000, A6000, NEX-3) feel warmer less solid and subjectively less pleasant. I am amazed that you don't know that. Even a 10 year old can differentiate between the two, by touch and feel.

That's odd actually. I'm holding my NEX-7 and my A6000 side by side and I'm surprised at how difficult it is to tell the difference in build between the two. The USB door on the A6000 feels more solid and securely in place compared to the 7. Aside from the tri-navi controls, they feel pretty much identical in hand.

Others besides myself have also commented about the N7's cool, metallic construction vs the A6000's cheaper-feeling plastic. Take your cameras out on a cold day for an hour then put them to your face. One will feel cold and the other not.

The other thing for me personally is my major preference for the much smaller shape and handling of my NEX-5R. It's so easy...to shoot on-handed, even. It has a touch-screen. And I can removre the EVF to make the camera so small it will fit in my pocket. (with a small lens attached.) That is MY personal preference to which I am entitled.

I suppose people can happily comment on the differences between the two -- all I know is that when I pick up the two and handle them, the A6000 does not feel in any way cheaper or more poorly built than the NEX-7 in my hands.

I'm glad you like your 5R -- if it suits you, great! Having had the NEX-5, I'm not a fan of the form factor. Having a viewfinder without an array of tactile controls seems relatively pointless for me as it requires lifting your face away from the camera to operate the controls. I toted the A6000 for a weekend of shooting at a con and it held up admirably. The build quality happily stood up to supporting larger adapted SLR lenses and the much maligned lower resolution viewfinder was actually much more enjoyable to shoot with compared to the NEX-7.

marc petzold
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Apr 30, 2014

Greynerd wrote:

Because you can choose your focus point and take a picture in an instant? I find it useful on my bad cameras and I would think it would be useful on my good camera which I suppose is the Nex 6 and maybe the A3000?

marc petzold wrote:

Well, i am no member of the ordinary facebook "unsocial" network generation, so setting the focus point via touchscreen is a...uhum, no-go for myself....and i love to set the aperture & focus on my lens itself, not via command dial on a camera, too. perhaps i am too old fashioned, but i like things on cameras exactly that way...and i neither want to connect my camera with my smartphone - wtf?! seriously, i've no use for this, really.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Samsung TL500 Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +58 more
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 4,330
Like?

Using a touch screen does not require logging on to facebook or using wifi. Not sure of how this is relevant. You can still do things manually even with the facility.

marc petzold wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

Because you can choose your focus point and take a picture in an instant? I find it useful on my bad cameras and I would think it would be useful on my good camera which I suppose is the Nex 6 and maybe the A3000?

marc petzold wrote:

Well, i am no member of the ordinary facebook "unsocial" network generation, so setting the focus point via touchscreen is a...uhum, no-go for myself....and i love to set the aperture & focus on my lens itself, not via command dial on a camera, too. perhaps i am too old fashioned, but i like things on cameras exactly that way...and i neither want to connect my camera with my smartphone - wtf?! seriously, i've no use for this, really.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 18,807Gear list
Like?
Re: Plastic (was) rapidly being confined to cameras under $800
In reply to Dimac, Apr 30, 2014

Dimac wrote:

RichRMA wrote:

If you remember the very first NEX cameras, the 3 and 5, one was metal, the other plastic. The plastic one was more bulky because plastic is weaker than metal and requires thicker castings and things like threaded metal inserts to hold screws.

Actually plastic bodies are more sturdy! No problem at all with it.

Actually do you have any evidence to support your statement?

Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, Apr 30, 2014

Tuloom wrote:

Helen wrote:

The NEX-6 seems to me to have a metal top cap....

It does, Helen. You are correct.

Euell wrote:

It's got metal top and bottom plates. The NEX 6 does not. The front plate makes a noise like metal, but I suspect it is plastic. The NEX 6 is pretty much all plastic, except for the frame.

Where are you getting this from.

I own both cameras and am not blind.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
Euell
Like?
In reply to ryan92084, Apr 30, 2014

ryan92084 wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

Euell wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

marc petzold wrote:

andye53 wrote:

Oh boy I said the same thing in another thread and my head almost got chewed off LOL.

It definitely has a lower build quality compared to all other NEX, except the 3N. It 's roughly the same build as the 3N, same plain plastic finish.

-- hide signature --

SONY TX2O | RX1OO| NEX-FiveT | @6OOO
CAN0N S1OO

But the A6000 is made out of mag-alloy, not plastic.

It is not, Sony removed that part of the marketing. There may have been some preproduction models that were but it isn't now. The shell is poly/plastic/composite and supported at least in part by a metal infrastructure/frame.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53554186

Just curious where the actual facts are on this, rather than Sony pulling the reference in their video.

The facts? On which part?

Its not difficult to see the unpainted underside of the front/back plates, port/battery cover, and grip. The top plate could be I guess but based on unscientific acousitics/ thermal properties/feel compared to the obviously metal parts (flash/LCD hinge, dials, mount surround, screws, metal substructure) that is pretty unlikely.

As for the metal substructure you can open the battery compartment and see the grip is fully supported and a plate continues across the back.

All that said I have no problem with the build quality at all.

My point being, nobody really knows exactly what the build composition of the A6000 is.

Until someone tears one apart or Sony publishes a cutaway or something, what do we really know, and what difference does it make? A paper thin aluminum skin in front of the very same metal and other parts inside doesn't make much difference to me, at least. I know having a metal top plate on my NX300 doesn't give it a better quality feel than my new A6000.

THAT SAID, if you find a worn Leica M9 or an older all-metal film camera from the 60's, they tend to 'brass' around the edges and that's kind of cool - but we're talking very old, or very expensive. Pretty much everything else these days is a super thin skin over a tight tangle of innards.

and my point was to stop the spread of misinformation. I'm not bashing the build quality as I'd rate it quite high. It was just a dumb move by Sony marketing to say the shell was mag alloy and then have it not be a month later

Agreed!

I think Sony said the frame was mag allowy. Wrong?

AFAIK only time Sony made a claim either way was in the promo video from the linked post from earlier in the quote tree. In it the "host" says, "The actual camera looks different (comparing to the nex-6) as far as the make. This isn't plastic its...?"(referencing the body/shell she is tapping on). The Sony representative replies, "It's magnesium alloy"

It's all moot now the two sections referencing the mag alloy were later removed.

The top plate and bottom plate are definitely metal and the front plate may be. The frame is represented to be mag alloy.

There is no bottom plate. The main shell has a front, back, top, and grip piece. The grip is definitely a plastic but screws directly onto the metal box that is the battery compartment. The molding techniques, thermal properties, acoustics, and a bit of internal paint chipping (for the front and back) of the other three pieces heavily imply they are too.

Additionally there is the battery door, port cover, and LCD surround. All are a unarguably plastic.

Finally there is a thin and textured piece behind the LCD which is likely a plastic or at least not metal. However it does sit directly on top of a piece of metal substructure that runs from the battery compartment along at least a potion of the back.

Once again I feel the need to say I don't find the body cheap/plasticy/hollow/boxy in the hand. Once a battery was inserted and lens put on it i thought it felt quite nice/solid and had little to no flex. I am not in anyway disappointed in the feel of the construction.

You're right about there being no bottom plate. The front plate wraps around and meets the rear plate. Sorry for the misinformation.

Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
Euell
Like?
In reply to captura, Apr 30, 2014

captura wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

I said not necessarily an upgrade that does not mean it is not. In the light of the A57 to A58 and Nex 3 to A3000 it just should not be automatically assumed. Time will tell.

There may be others, too. And the original NEX-3 was a solid camera; maybe a thicker polycarbonate.

I also prefer my 5R to the 6 because of the touchscreen which I use a lot. And the smaller size as well as the metallic build. The 5R is just as capable as the 6. It is a shame that (barring the NEX-5T) there is no replacement model for the 5 line.

The A5000 is another cheaper plastic body with fewer features than the 5R/5T and is a replacement for the 3N.

So it looks like Sony have done some cost cutting (but added features) to enable them to bring the A6000 in at $649 body-only.

In contrast the Fuji XT1 is a far-better constructed camera, with similar performance. The two marques are not really competing with these models. Their target markets are completely different. Instead of the A6000, I would have preferred Sony bringing in an A7000 metal-body replacement for the NEX-7. That would have been the direct competitor to the XT1. I'd have paid the extra cost.

PS: Interestingly it seems that Fuji may very soon announce a new XT2, which will be a Full Frame competitor to the A7 series!

Steve

Euell wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

The transition from the Nex 6 to the A6000 is not necessarily an upgrade as the A6000 is a far cheaper camera than the Nex 6 at start pricing. The A6000 probably has a lot of firmware bugs sorted out and operational improvements but it is a lower cost model so do not be fooled by the 6 designation in terms of construction quality. Sony did this in A mount naming the entry level as the A58 which was really the A37 in many respects.

woodsjo3 wrote:

I'm no where close to claiming I'm a photographer. But I'm addicted to photography. I've tansitioned from my first camera the nex-3 to a nex-5 to a nex-5r to a nex 6 and finally to an a6000. Every time I've upgraded I've been happy with the build quality. But the a6000 feels like a toy in comparison to the nex 6. It feels almost bloated... just my thoughts, definitely not a deal breaker. I'm sure a real photographer would prefer a lighter body that the the plastic offers. I just thought it would feel morr durable.

Disagree completely. I own both and the use of metal top and bottom plates is an upgrade in build.

A cousin picked up the Fuji XT1 and is very happy with it, but it is a completely different style camera. Apples and oranges.

Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782
Like?
In reply to Euell, Apr 30, 2014

Euell wrote:

I've written on the subject of functionality vs. cameras as status symbols.

Where, a diary entry, on a napkin, blog?

I've written on heart surgery, quantum physics and sex with Gilda Radner. We're pretty awesome.

Euell wrote:

Tuloom wrote:

Helen wrote:

Euell wrote:

It's got metal top and bottom plates. The NEX 6 does not. The front plate makes a noise like metal, but I suspect it is plastic. The NEX 6 is pretty much all plastic, except for the frame.

In your next set of 'falutin musings, I would suggest making a more conscientious attempt at getting the materials straight.

Unless Sony is using metal plastic, this is metal, that's the top plate, and it's on my NEX-6.

And a capture from the tear down youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D776GX3oSHQ

Euell
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, Apr 30, 2014

Tuloom wrote:

Euell wrote:

I've written on the subject of functionality vs. cameras as status symbols.

Where, a diary entry, on a napkin, blog?

I've written on heart surgery, quantum physics and sex with Gilda Radner. We're pretty awesome.

Euell wrote:

Tuloom wrote:

Helen wrote:

Euell wrote:

In your next set of 'falutin musings, I would suggest making a more conscientious attempt at getting the materials straight.

Unless Sony is using metal plastic, this is metal, that's the top plate, and it's on my NEX-6.

And a capture from the tear down youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D776GX3oSHQ

Funny, I suppose I should have clarified that it was another post in this forum. I once read a book as well. The NEX 6 top plate looked like moulded polycarboate, but gave it another look and tapped it with a fingernail and, by gosh, you are right. The NEX 6 top plate is metallic

P.S. did you take your camera apart just for me?

José B
Forum ProPosts: 18,047Gear list
Like?
Feels solid yet slim-fit
In reply to woodsjo3, Apr 30, 2014

woodsjo3 wrote:

I'm no where close to claiming I'm a photographer. But I'm addicted to photography. I've tansitioned from my first camera the nex-3 to a nex-5 to a nex-5r to a nex 6 and finally to an a6000. Every time I've upgraded I've been happy with the build quality. But the a6000 feels like a toy in comparison to the nex 6. It feels almost bloated... just my thoughts, definitely not a deal breaker. I'm sure a real photographer would prefer a lighter body that the the plastic offers. I just thought it would feel morr durable.

question is, how does the AF perform with subject in heavily backlit scenarios? Hope to answer that this summer.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
marc petzold
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Apr 30, 2014

Greynerd wrote:

Using a touch screen does not require logging on to facebook or using wifi. Not sure of how this is relevant. You can still do things manually even with the facility.

i know all of this exactly, but these are things i don't want to have into my camera/DSLR/DSLM, things like wifi, social network connect, touchscreen and this kind of stuff. instead, i'd like to have a design like the fuji X-T1 or my old Dynax 7D, whereas i can control most functions via direct buttons & dials, without searching for a feature too deep into the menu.

Son Of Mustang Ford
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?

marc petzold wrote:

Quite agree - I sometimes 'suffer' (bit of an OTT word, but anyway) from over-dry fingertips, and then the touchscreen on my smartphone just does not respond - especially when I'm trying to tell the thing where to focus. Most frustrating - I wouldn't want a touchscreen on my Nex, it would make me too cross.

Also, useless when using MF legacy lenses.

pixelpushing
Senior MemberPosts: 3,121Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, May 1, 2014

captura wrote:

Dimac wrote:

RichRMA wrote:

If you remember the very first NEX cameras, the 3 and 5, one was metal, the other plastic. The plastic one was more bulky because plastic is weaker than metal and requires thicker castings and things like threaded metal inserts to hold screws.

Do you have any evidence to support metal bodies are more sturdy? Because that's pretty much what started this whole thing.

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apple iPad Air
Section10
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
In reply to woodsjo3, May 1, 2014

So is there an entire list of comments missing from this now? What happened. Many comments suddenly gone...

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +2 more
captura
Like?
In reply to pixelpushing, May 1, 2014

pixelpushing wrote:

captura wrote:

Dimac wrote:

RichRMA wrote:

Do you have any evidence to support metal bodies are more sturdy? Because that's pretty much what started this whole thing.

No, I did not start this threadm nor did I say that metal bodies were more sturdy. And I have maintained all along that I just don't like composite caneras. A personal choice. I prefer the feel of a metal camera, such as my Fuji X10, or even my NEX-5R.

Since you have no evidence, I would suggest that under the right conditions, where the designers have followed the best practices, the composite cameras could be far stronger, depending. But if a camera is milled from a single solid aluminum billet such as the new Leica T, then no way.

pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, May 1, 2014

we know you don´t like composite\plastic built cameras, you make it pretty clear in almost all posts you reply too even if thats not the subject of the post, maybe too often...

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
Helen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,404
Like?
In reply to Section10, May 1, 2014

Section10 wrote:

So is there an entire list of comments missing from this now? What happened. Many comments suddenly gone...

Yes, I'm a little surprised at this too. I laboured quite a while posting a factual post late last night (I've never made it personal and even said I didn't have a preference either way myself, but was just curious what the material is, and was just reporting my observations of my own a6000), then went to bed (being in the UK) and found my post gone this morning, apparently along with a lot of others. I am now fretting away, wondering what I did wrong... I've never been "removed" before.  Whatever it was, I'm sorry, and a Moderator is welcome to PM me, if only to put my mind at rest...

captura
Like?
In reply to Helen, May 1, 2014

Helen,

I thought your message was very thoughtful and informative. Can you re-post it as you remember, or would that be against the rules?

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads