Sony a6000 Build Quality

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
woodsjo3
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Sony a6000 Build Quality
8 months ago

I'm no where close to claiming I'm a photographer. But I'm addicted to photography. I've tansitioned from my first camera the nex-3 to a nex-5 to a nex-5r to a nex 6 and finally to an a6000. Every time I've upgraded I've been happy with the build quality. But the a6000 feels like a toy in comparison to the nex 6. It feels almost bloated... just my thoughts, definitely not a deal breaker. I'm sure a real photographer would prefer a lighter body that the the plastic offers. I just thought it would feel morr durable.

istreetshooter
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Re: Sony a6000 Build Quality
In reply to woodsjo3, 8 months ago

I don't think it feels bloated. To me, it just feels like a cheaper build. I compare it more to the Olympus E-PL cameras I've used, in contrast to the better built (in my hands) Nikon 1 V1.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gradyp
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?

I never had a NEX-6, my previous NEX was the C3.  I feel the complete opposite though, the a6000 feels like a huge step up for me in terms of build quality.  The buttons and dials feel much better, the rubberized grip feels so much more secure to hold, the finish on the exterior is so much nicer and more refined; everything just feels tighter and better put together than my previous NEX-C3.  I'm quite impressed with the build quality of mine.

I will say, this does not apply to the kit lens.  The kit lens feels cheap and sloppy but the portability is worth the trade off from the 18-55 I used to have.

gradyp's gear list:gradyp's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?

That's just one of many things that made me cancel my pre-order, but I completely agree about build quality.

-- hide signature --

Dave

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,696
Like?

woodsjo3 wrote:

I'm no where close to claiming I'm a photographer. But I'm addicted to photography. I've tansitioned from my first camera the nex-3 to a nex-5 to a nex-5r to a nex 6 and finally to an a6000. Every time I've upgraded I've been happy with the build quality. But the a6000 feels like a toy in comparison to the nex 6. It feels almost bloated... just my thoughts, definitely not a deal breaker. I'm sure a real photographer would prefer a lighter body that the the plastic offers. I just thought it would feel morr durable.

The part of a camera that needs to be accurate and rigid is the frame that holds the sensor at exactly the right distance from the lens mount -- including the mount itself.

So you need a central skeleton that is made of metal and accurately machined. The sensor should be held firmly fixed against this skeleton so that it cannot shift, even if the camera is badly knocked. (Stabilisation by moving the sensor around is not a good thing.)

Surrounding this and the electronics, you need a skin that can absorb blows without transmitting them to the sensor. A strong plastic such as polycarbonate is fine for this.

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,153Gear list
Like?

Personally, I had no complaints about the build on my NEX-5N, which was mostly metal - felt solid and well built and was plenty durable.  I find the A6000 feels at least as good, solidly well built, all the controls feel very hardy and durable, good resistance, and I will not hesitate to use this camera very hard, in very hard conditions, as I did the NEX-5N.

Nothing about the camera to me feels cheap or poorly built.  Personally, I don't equate 'light' or non-metal builds to mean bad or good...I judge purely on how flex-free, gap-free, and all-of-one-piece something feels...for me, the A6000 feels very strong and very good.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
T. L. Rutter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,305Gear list
Like?

I received my a6000 yesterday and when I held the a6000 for the first time without the lens and battery, I felt how cheap the plastic felt and it actually did feel like a toy. Once I assembled everything together, the camera actually felt balanced and most of the cheap plastic feeling had gone away. Everything else on the camera is high quality - like the knob, for example.

T. L. Rutter's gear list:T. L. Rutter's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +6 more
andye53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?

Oh boy I said the same thing in another thread and my head almost got chewed off LOL.

It definitely has a lower build quality compared to all other NEX, except the 3N.  It 's roughly the same build as the 3N, same plain plastic finish.

-- hide signature --

SONY TX2O | RX1OO| NEX-FiveT | @6OOO
CAN0N S1OO

andye53's gear list:andye53's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
pixelpushing
Senior MemberPosts: 2,043Gear list
Like?
In reply to KwhyChang, 8 months ago

KwhyChang wrote:

That's just one of many things that made me cancel my pre-order, but I completely agree about build quality.

Had you held one?

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apple iPad Air
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,237Gear list
Like?

woodsjo3 wrote:

The differences in feel and build between the a6000 and NEX6 are fairly subtle IMO.  But those slight differences break in favor of the a6000.

One advantage of the a6000 is the grip is a few mm taller which is just enough for my little finger to now purchase on it.  With the NEX-6 that finger curls under the camera.  Not a big deal either way, but I like the a6000 better.

The a6000 body is very slightly thicker, but I don't see how a mm (or less) of extra thickness makes a camera go from good build quality to "bloated" or "toy like".

And unlike most people, I like the positioning of the top control wheel on the far right of the camera.  It's easier to operate than the equivalent wheel on the NEX-6 was.  The button placement on the a6000 is also better and I can feel the buttons better with my fingers--I think they must protrude above the chassis slightly more.

One thing I don't like is the plastic mount lugs.  I wish they'd use metal.  The wear surfaces are metal springs, but I'd feel better if they used metal for the lugs as well.  This would also enable tighter spring tolerances and lenses would mount tighter.  Again, my lenses fit tighter on my a6000 than they did on my NEX6, so Sony's even improved that.  This probably shouldn't be my concern--if it works, then I shouldn't care if it's made of balsa wood.  I have noticed that the E-mount lugs are quite thick compared to my Pentax and Canon lenses.  They might've done this specifically to enable to use of plastics.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
marc petzold
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
In reply to andye53, 8 months ago

andye53 wrote:

Oh boy I said the same thing in another thread and my head almost got chewed off LOL.

It definitely has a lower build quality compared to all other NEX, except the 3N. It 's roughly the same build as the 3N, same plain plastic finish.

-- hide signature --

CAN0N S1OO

But the A6000 is made out of mag-alloy, not plastic.

marc petzold's gear list:marc petzold's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Samsung TL500 Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +56 more
azalea
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?

Man, we're so difficult to satisfy.

We want the best sensor, best evf, best focus system, best quality but we want them cheap. When the price is cheap and something's compromised, we complain. When everything's good but it's expensive, we complain. When everything's perfect but we found another camera exceeded this by a little in one category we complain.

And with the lenses we want them as fast as possible while being as small as possible as very well build but not expensive, oh and weather sealed please, if not we complain.

Damn just return all the SonyFujis and get the Leica T... wait it's expensive no thx.

ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
In reply to marc petzold, 8 months ago

marc petzold wrote:

andye53 wrote:

It definitely has a lower build quality compared to all other NEX, except the 3N. It 's roughly the same build as the 3N, same plain plastic finish.

-- hide signature --

CAN0N S1OO

It is not, Sony removed that part of the marketing. There may have been some preproduction models that were but it isn't now. The shell is poly/plastic/composite and supported at least in part by a metal infrastructure/frame.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53554186

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,598Gear list
Like?
In reply to istreetshooter, 8 months ago

istreetshooter wrote:s

I don't think it feels bloated. To me, it just feels like a cheaper build. I compare it more to the Olympus E-PL cameras I've used, in contrast to the better built (in my hands) Nikon 1 V1.

I can totally relate to that, owning 2 PL's, a Nikon 1 system, a NEX-3 and a 5R.

The NEX-3 is a solid polycarbonate build and I don't mind that. My E-PL1 is cheap plastic. My E-PM1 is a tiny, solid metal build and therefore nice to handle, similar to my NEX-5R. And my Nikon1 J1 has a heavy quality feel, due to it's magnesium body.

I examined an A6000 last week and rejected it for it's use of cheaper thinwall plastic construction, same as an A5000. I much prefer the compact metallic handling feel of the 5R.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?
In reply to azalea, 8 months ago

azalea wrote:

We want the best sensor, best evf, best focus system, best quality but we want them cheap. When the price is cheap and something's compromised, we complain. When everything's good but it's expensive, we complain. When everything's perfect but we found another camera exceeded this by a little in one category we complain.

And with the lenses we want them as fast as possible while being as small as possible as very well build but not expensive, oh and weather sealed please, if not we complain.

Damn just return all the SonyFujis and get the Leica T... wait it's expensive no thx.

+1  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,598Gear list
Like?
In reply to marc petzold, 8 months ago

The skin is a lightweight thin plastic. Even a polycarbonate would have been preferable.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
pixelpushing
Like?
In reply to ryan92084, 8 months ago

ryan92084 wrote:

marc petzold wrote:

andye53 wrote:

-- hide signature --

CAN0N S1OO

It is not, Sony removed that part of the marketing. There may have been some preproduction models that were but it isn't now. The shell is poly/plastic/composite and supported at least in part by a metal infrastructure/frame.

Just curious where the actual facts are on this, rather than Sony pulling the reference in their video.

ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
In reply to pixelpushing, 8 months ago

pixelpushing wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

marc petzold wrote:

andye53 wrote:

-- hide signature --

CAN0N S1OO

Just curious where the actual facts are on this, rather than Sony pulling the reference in their video.

The facts? On which part?

Its not difficult to see the unpainted underside of the front/back plates, port/battery cover, and grip. The top plate could be I guess but based on unscientific acousitics/ thermal properties/feel compared to the obviously metal parts (flash/LCD hinge, dials, mount surround, screws, metal substructure) that is pretty unlikely. Some of the buttons are plastic others are metal or at least plated.

As for the metal substructure you can open the battery compartment and see the grip is fully supported and a plate continues across the back.

All that said I have no problem with the build quality at all.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
pixelpushing
Like?
In reply to ryan92084, 8 months ago

ryan92084 wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

marc petzold wrote:

andye53 wrote:

-- hide signature --

CAN0N S1OO

The facts? On which part?

Its not difficult to see the unpainted underside of the front/back plates, port/battery cover, and grip. The top plate could be I guess but based on unscientific acousitics/ thermal properties/feel compared to the obviously metal parts (flash/LCD hinge, dials, mount surround, screws, metal substructure) that is pretty unlikely.

As for the metal substructure you can open the battery compartment and see the grip is fully supported and a plate continues across the back.

All that said I have no problem with the build quality at all.

My point being, nobody really knows exactly what the build composition of the A6000 is.

Until someone tears one apart or Sony publishes a cutaway or something, what do we really know, and what difference does it make? A paper thin aluminum skin in front of the very same metal and other parts inside doesn't make much difference to me, at least. I know having a metal top plate on my NX300 doesn't give it a better quality feel than my new A6000.

THAT SAID, if you find a worn Leica M9 or an older all-metal film camera from the 60's, they tend to 'brass' around the edges and that's kind of cool - but we're talking very old, or very expensive. Pretty much everything else these days is a super thin skin over a tight tangle of innards.

andye53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
In reply to azalea, 8 months ago

azalea wrote:

LOL I was just thinking the same thing when I scanned through some the comments on the new Sony patent on the supposed f1.8-2.8 lens for the supposed RX100M3.  No they positively cannot please everyone

I was just making an observation.  I never OP'ed the messages about build quality.  By itself, the A6000's construction is perfectly fine, but the quality of the material (the camera's skin namely) has definitely been downgraded from the NEX5 and 6.  That said, if I had a choice (within a reasonable price), I'd always opt for a higher quality build material, like when the NEX first came out.  NEX5 (partial metal body) vs the NEX3 (all plastic).  Since I had the choice, the 3 was never in my consideration.

-- hide signature --

CAN0N S1OO

andye53's gear list:andye53's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads