Raging mad A7

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
djp58
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
Re: It's your fault I'm afraid....
In reply to windwolf, 7 months ago

windwolf wrote:

I think my main problem is I have relied so much on auto this and that I have forgotten the old days of photography.As long as I can change my ISO and shoot in AP I should be ok I was just concerned about the concerts I shoot and having a high enough shutter speed wow need to start being a photographer again but thats a good thing, there is always positive out of things.

You've hit the nail on the head - the A7 series of cameras are a great way to get back into old style photography.  The only time mine gets put into auto anything is when I hand it over to someone else to take a shot; and that's rare;-)

I shoot primarily old legacy lenses in full Manual or Aperture Priority, with either Auto ISO (I limit to 3200) or manually set ISO.  If shutter speed id too slow, I use a tripod (also rare).  My A7R (and NEX 7 before) have really brought back the joy of photography for me:-)

I have the FE35mm (a fabulous lens - still shoot it mostly manual focus) and have ordered the FE55 and FE70-200.

David

djp58's gear list:djp58's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
abortabort
Senior MemberPosts: 1,076Gear list
Like?

I think my main problem is I have relied so much on auto  this and that I have forgotten  the old days of photography.As long as I can change my ISO and shoot  in AP I should be ok I was just concerned about the concerts I shoot and having a high enough shutter speed wow need to start being a photographer again but thats a good thing, there is always positive out of things.

Honestly, if you have an A77, get yourself an LA-EA4 and buy A-Mount lenses for both. The 50mm f1.4 would be a good start and pretty cheap. It will work as it does on the A77, just a bit smaller (and full framw field of view and depth of field, plus low light performance etc). Difference to a D600 is small, really.

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 can also be had cheap both new and second hand, quite a capable lens for very little money while being pretty small and light. Good event shooter lens.

Get a Minolta 17-35mm f2.8-4, again these will run you about $150 on ebay and are quite decent as an event shooting lens. Not a 'great' landscape lens but fine for events. Bit bigger but still very light and cheap.

As for a tele, don't know, but for small and light Minolta 100-200mm f4.5 is probably a good bet. You could get a 70-210mm f4 but these are consoderably bigger and not much faster. 100-200mm suits the small size of the A7 better.

These will all give you AF plus full program, manual, A, S modes with aperture control and AF that works pretty well in almost all lighting (with a bit of constrast).

Plus these will all work really nicely on your A77 as well.

Sony 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8 will work on the A77 and are super cheap with great optics. Work ok on the A7 with a small amount of cropping (or clear image zoom to about 1.1-1.2x if shooting JPEG). These cheap little lenses will surprise you.

85mm f2.8 is another cracker of a lens and will work fine on either body.

LA-EA4 is the best investment I made for my A7, turns the camera from casual shooter (with amazing IQ) to something a bit more serious for event shooting. Well worth the money.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha 7 +33 more
windwolf
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
In reply to abortabort, 7 months ago

This is the info I was looking for this gives me a start now I was going to buy the the la-ea3 do I really need the 4 because I want to shoot manual focus anyway

stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,323Gear list
Like?
Re: Raging mad A7

windwolf wrote:

Maybe its my fault, maybe not so if i can get the right advice nothing lost.

i don't usually have buyers remorse or get annoyed at sales people but this time I'm really annoyed.

after some deliberation, i decided on what i read and what the sales guy said from a rather large organization to buy the Sony A7.I had first told him I was about to sell off All my Nikon gear I had a buyer and should I go with the D600 or the Sony A7 his response was wow thats a hard one but I would go with the sony because of all the adapters and legacy lenses, so I sold off all my Nikon stuff and bought it, I paid extra to get it early. First off it shows up two days late,(will ask for a refund for the delivery) then when I go out to get lenses and adapter, I find out they really don't work that well lots of problems, Im not worried about auto focus I can handle manual we all learned on it ad it can be actually faster if you know what your doing. I shoot concerts weddings, glamour and special events which I was told the sony could handle. But when I tried to use the lens with a rocker md wouldn't focus right couldn't stop it down correctly, no metering in manual or AP and when I read on I saw others had the same problem and gave it back. I really want to keep it it seems like a great camera but don't want to spend 1k plus on lenses and really will the La 3 or 4 really help I don't need auto focus so maybe the 3 would be fine but what about for weddings and the bands I shoot.sorry about this rant but very very frustrated and like I said blame myself too so can ANYONE with a clear head and mind give me some good kind advice, do I send t back and get an older A900 or do I keep it, get a list of GOOD adapters and lenses that will work without breaking the bank too much. or did I just screw myself really good selling everything of by what the salesperson told me and buying into it.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS. There ar lot of good intelligent people on this forum. Please help.

First - I can assure you that if you're comfortable with manual focus, plenty of folks are enjoying their A7 with legacy lenses. M-Rokkors are one of the favorites. When you say "really don't work all that well" - I'm not sure where you get that from. It's perhaps the easiest modern camera to use with legacy MF lenses.

So my initial thoughts are, A7 is a great camera and no need to be discouraged. There's a bit to learn, but I can relate that once I got mine, is was sure within a week that I wasn't going back. Now that I've had it for a couple of months, I'm even more sure and have really settled into what it can do for me.

We're here to help. But instead of working with an initial post like this, we should start addressing each issue.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,327Gear list
Like?

windwolf wrote:

Maybe its my fault, maybe not so if i can get the right advice nothing lost.

i don't usually have buyers remorse or get annoyed at sales people but this time I'm really annoyed.

after some deliberation, i decided on what i read and what the sales guy said from a rather large organization to buy the Sony A7.

I had first told him I was about to sell off All my Nikon gear I had a buyer and should I go with the D600 or the Sony A7 his response was wow thats a hard one but I would go with the sony because of all the adapters and legacy lenses, so I sold off all my Nikon stuff and bought it, I paid extra to get it early.

First off it shows up two days late,(will ask for a refund for the delivery) then when I go out to get lenses and adapter, I find out they really don't work that well lots of problems, Im not worried about auto focus I can handle manual we all learned on it ad it can be actually faster if you know what your doing.

I shoot concerts weddings, glamour and special events which I was told the sony could handle. But when I tried to use the lens with a rocker md wouldn't focus right couldn't stop it down correctly, no metering in manual or AP and when I read on I saw others had the same problem and gave it back.

I really want to keep it it seems like a great camera but don't want to spend 1k plus on lenses and really will the La 3 or 4 really help I don't need auto focus so maybe the 3 would be fine but what about for weddings and the bands I shoot.

sorry about this rant but very very frustrated and like I said blame myself too so can ANYONE with a clear head and mind give me some good kind advice, do I send t back and get an older A900 or do I keep it, get a list of GOOD adapters and lenses that will work without breaking the bank too much. or did I just screw myself really good selling everything of by what the salesperson told me and buying into it.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS. There ar lot of good intelligent people on this forum. Please help.

If this is about a budget issue, you should have done a tally before your purchase - you very quickly would be able to assess what you want to spend.

If this is about a handling issue, it doesn't sound like AF is a must-have for you, which gives you the ability to have lots of (fast) legacy lenses with great results.

If this is about native lenses being too expensive - just get a single one. Start with either the FE2870 kit or with the FE35. Both will handle AF for the conditions that you mention (and don't be afraid to bump the ISO).

If this is about the camera being difficult in use - then go back to DSLR and wait for the next generation, or the one thereafter. The A6000 may be another option, if its ISO limits can handle your low-light applications. (It most likely could with a fast prime).

It is also unclear if you were a FF shooter before, or whether you contemplated upgrading to a D600 or an A7. If so, welcome to FF, with its plusses and drawbacks. Be willing to learning a couple of tricks.

If this is just trolling, then, well, have a laugh at us

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +33 more
thedoctor1
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 7 months ago

First off this is to Richard I dont have anger management issues and you don't have to be rude. If you would have read what I said you would have saw that I was frustrated and NOT mad,  I mentioned that I was disabled and was basically a little nervous about my purchase.Now it's my mistake maybe in the way I explained it but you don't have the right to get personal sorry if my typing  is bad and my photography speaks for itself.

I came to this site for help and most people did  so please dont criticize that's not whyI came here.

I took a lot of the advice I received and went to the larger photos tore here and did research and found I did make a good decision. While I was there I picked up a lae4 and a couple of good lenses and  can now see what this camera can really do so yes I do have a bit of a learning curve changing from Nikon to Sony and thats on of the reasons I did it now because I Have time before I'm going to be working on any projects.

So  thanks to all the advice you all have given  me and  let's see where I can go with it.

cheers

woof woof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,451
Like?

windwolf wrote:

I think my main problem is I have relied so much on auto this and that I have forgotten the old days of photography.As long as I can change my ISO and shoot in AP I should be ok I was just concerned about the concerts I shoot and having a high enough shutter speed wow need to start being a photographer again but thats a good thing, there is always positive out of things.

One good thing with the A7 is that you can use manual lenses in shutter priority mode.

I normally use aperture priority but when the light levels drop and the shutter speed falls I switch to shutter priority and dial in the shutter speed I want. As long as you have auto ISO selected the camera just floats the ISO up and down to match the aperture and shutter speed you've set.

It's simple and effective.

thedoctor1
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to woof woof, 7 months ago

That's  sounds real good and thanks a lot , but I better not bother anyone else Richard doesn't want me here and I don't want to bother him I'm sure he is an ok person jus

t doesn't like me for some reason

le_alain
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?

If you want "auto modes"

you can shoot both A or S or M with Auto ISO with any legacy lenses !

Or you can set your ISO and shoot A mode,

1st you select your aperture, the camera choose the speed

or 1st, you select the speed in the finder, turning the aperture ring.

I don't see the problem ?

of course no P mode with every lense, because the camera can't change aperture on legacy lenses.

le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Fujifilm X20
abortabort
Senior MemberPosts: 1,076Gear list
Like?
In reply to thedoctor1, 7 months ago

thedoctor1 wrote:

While I was there I picked up a lae4 and a couple of good lenses and can now see what this camera can really do so yes I do have a bit of a learning curve changing from Nikon to Sony and thats on of the reasons I did it now because I Have time before I'm going to be working on any projects.

Glad to hear it, the LA-EA4 definitely expands the capabilities of the camera considerably, especially in this time of transition (or of being a new system really). It works very well and with a couple decent lenses should treat you just fine. Remember you can use them on your A77 as well, so you should have a pretty useful 2 camera setup which should work fine for events etc.

I know you asked whether the LA-EA4 would be worth it over the 3 if you are using MF, well I am glad you got the 4m for the bit extra money at least you have AF when/if you need it. MF is fine and good for a great many things, but to have decent AF in your back pocket when you need it is VERY helpful.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha 7 +33 more
James Sherman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,323Gear list
Like?
In reply to thedoctor1, 7 months ago

I read all your posts under both IDs (not really the best thing to do, BTW) and while you stated that you had said you were handicapped I must somehow have missed where you said it.

I am also handicapped, and so are others here. If we can help you with that, ask.

I moved to Sony because my D300s was heavy and clumsy for me and, frankly, because the Sonys took better pictures. I'm frustrated with the lack of AF lenses with stabilization for my A7r, and MF is awkward for my hands these days. Having said that, it may be awkward but it works better than anything else I've tried.

James Sherman's gear list:James Sherman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads