Raging mad A7

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
windwolf
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Raging mad A7
4 months ago

Maybe its my fault, maybe not so if i can get the right advice nothing lost.

i don't usually have buyers remorse or get annoyed at sales people but this time I'm really annoyed.

after some deliberation, i decided on what i read and what the sales guy said from a rather large organization to buy the Sony A7.I had first told him I was about to sell off All my Nikon gear I had a buyer and should I go with the D600 or the Sony A7 his response was wow thats a hard one but I would go with the sony because of all the adapters and legacy lenses, so I sold off all my Nikon stuff and bought it, I paid extra to get it early. First off it shows up two days late,(will ask for a refund for the delivery) then when I go out to get  lenses and adapter, I find out they really don't work that well lots of problems, Im not worried about auto focus I can handle manual we all learned on it ad it can be actually faster if you know what your doing. I shoot concerts weddings, glamour and special events which I was told the sony could handle. But when I tried to  use the lens with a rocker md wouldn't focus right couldn't stop it down correctly, no metering in manual or AP and when I read on I saw others had the same problem and gave it  back. I really want to keep it it seems like a great camera but don't want to spend 1k plus on lenses and really will the La 3 or 4 really help I don't need auto focus so maybe the 3 would be fine but what about for weddings and the bands I shoot.sorry about this rant but very very frustrated and like I said blame myself too so can ANYONE with a clear head and mind give me some good kind advice, do I send t back and get an older A900 or do I keep it, get a list of GOOD adapters and lenses that will work without breaking the bank too much. or did I just screw myself really good selling everything of by what the salesperson told me and buying into it.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS. There ar lot of good intelligent people on this forum. Please help.

Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?
Re: Raging mad A7
In reply to windwolf, 4 months ago

Not sure why you sold your Nikon in the first place, or what your photographic goal is, so it's hard to offer advice. Just so you know, if it's fast AF you're after, the best option is the LA-EA4 and some Sony Alpha or Minolta glass. If you want great image quality in a small size with okay AF, then use the Sony FE lenses. If you want great MF with lots of glass options, well then, you've come to the right system 

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529
Like?

windwolf wrote:

But when I tried to use the lens with a rocker md wouldn't focus right couldn't stop it down correctly, no metering in manual or AP and when I read on I saw others had the same problem and gave it back. I really want to keep it it seems like a great camera but don't want to spend 1k plus on lenses and really will the La 3 or 4 really help I don't need auto focus so maybe the 3 would be fine but what about for weddings and the bands I shoot.sorry about this rant but very very frustrated and like I said blame myself too so can ANYONE with a clear head and mind give me some good kind advice, do I send t back and get an older A900 or do I keep it, get a list of GOOD adapters and lenses that will work without breaking the bank too much. or did I just screw myself really good selling everything of by what the salesperson told me and buying into it.

you bought the a7, but didn't get any lenses to go with it? not even the kit lens that comes with the a7? you just bought body only??

the kit lens will run in full auto mode, no adapters necessary.

-- hide signature --

dan

ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?

windwolf wrote:

Maybe its my fault, maybe not so if i can get the right advice nothing lost.

i don't usually have buyers remorse or get annoyed at sales people but this time I'm really annoyed.

after some deliberation, i decided on what i read and what the sales guy said from a rather large organization to buy the Sony A7.I had first told him I was about to sell off All my Nikon gear I had a buyer and should I go with the D600 or the Sony A7 his response was wow thats a hard one but I would go with the sony because of all the adapters and legacy lenses, so I sold off all my Nikon stuff and bought it, I paid extra to get it early.

Didn't you just decide to pick up an a77 3 weeks ago? Anyway that is a heck of a leap to make off of the advice of a salesman but what was said is largely true.

First off it shows up two days late,(will ask for a refund for the delivery) then when I go out to get lenses and adapter, I find out they really don't work that well lots of problems,

Besides certain U/WA what in particular?

Im not worried about auto focus I can handle manual we all learned on it ad it can be actually faster if you know what your doing. I shoot concerts weddings, glamour and special events which I was told the sony could handle. But when I tried to use the lens with a rocker md wouldn't focus right couldn't stop it down correctly, no metering in manual or AP and when I read on I saw others had the same problem and gave it back.

Since this seems to be a complaint about an adapter what adapter was it?  Or is this a bad lens with a stuck aperture once again I'm confused

I really want to keep it it seems like a great camera but don't want to spend 1k plus on lenses and really will the La 3 or 4 really help I don't need auto focus so maybe the 3 would be fine but what about for weddings and the bands I shoot.

What about shooting the weddings and bands? Do you want/need AF or not?  The LA-EA3 will give you aperture control and exif along with very rudimentary focusing.  The la-ea4 gives you a57 level AF speed.

sorry about this rant but very very frustrated and like I said blame myself too so can ANYONE with a clear head and mind give me some good kind advice, do I send t back and get an older A900 or do I keep it, get a list of GOOD adapters and lenses that will work without breaking the bank too much. or did I just screw myself really good selling everything of by what the salesperson told me and buying into it.

there are hundreds of good lenses people here could recommend you need to narrow that down a bit.  For adapters it depends on the mount you are looking to adapt.  If you want manual lenses you don't need anything more than a $10 Chinese adapter.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS. There ar lot of good intelligent people on this forum. Please help.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
thedoctor1
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to ryan92084, 4 months ago

I think I. Just kind of upset and rambling a bit

i can go with both af or mf

i did buy an a77 also and love it.

the adapter was a cheap nikon to nex

lenses I really don't need a lot just 2 or 3 primes 24'. 50 or so and maybe a 85

zoom just one like a 28-105 or something .

which would be the vbst lenses and adapters to use. Canon minolta etc.

i see the la 3 is only 198 can the a7 focus good through its viewfinder?

i gues um confused on which legacy lenses to get I do want auto aperature not concerned about auto focus as much but if it's available cool I usual shoot either p,a or m

oh and I did forget about there 3rd party flashes too. I'm jaunt tired I guess long day and this on top of it.

Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?

WTH is going on here?  A lot of the OP post makes little sense, is hard to understand and often contradicts itself.

Now there are two different forum names being used.

I have to wonder if someone is messing around. A lot of the bad grammar seems a bit artificial and manufactured.

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
thedoctor1
Like?
In reply to Dandrewk, 4 months ago

If your implying that I'm a troll I'm not and I'm tired and was frustrated sorry if my typing skills aren't up to snuff I'm legitimately asking questions and maybe I'm a little confused and not sure how to ask the right questions.

Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
In reply to thedoctor1, 4 months ago

thedoctor1 wrote:

If your implying that I'm a troll I'm not and I'm tired and was frustrated sorry if my typing skills aren't up to snuff I'm legitimately asking questions and maybe I'm a little confused and not sure how to ask the right questions.

So then why two different forum names?

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
thedoctor1
Like?
In reply to Dandrewk, 4 months ago

Really I'm it sure why it does it I go under the doctor but wind wolf is another screename of mine too it's something I did not sure what. Btw want to help me with advice like I said really confused about lenses and adapters

ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?

I'm going to assume this poster is windwolf and not just a really bored troll. You didn't quote me so its hard to follow your lines of thought here.

thedoctor1 wrote:

I think I. Just kind of upset and rambling a bit

we can tell. Get some sleep.

i can go with both af or mf

If you go for legacy MF lenses you lose auto aperture which you later say you want

i did buy an a77 also and love it.

good

the adapter was a cheap nikon to nex

cheap adapters don't have the electronics needed to control the aperture so we are back to the legacy MF versus AF again.

lenses I really don't need a lot just 2 or 3 primes 24'. 50 or so and maybe a 85

zoom just one like a 28-105 or something .

which would be the vbst lenses and adapters to use. Canon minolta etc.

You want Auto focus lenses (for the ability to control the aperture in camera) others should be able to help you with suggestions. It'll be easier on your wallet to pick one mount and buy the AF compatible adapter. Besides the Sony pair there is metabones, novoflex, RJ, and DEO tech. As you just want aperture control they should all do the job. Since you already have an A-mount camera (a77) one of the sony's would be prudent so you can share glass between the two.

i see the la 3 is only 198 can the a7 focus good through its viewfinder?

Yes? The question is will you regret not spending the $200 up front to give you AF?

i gues um confused on which legacy lenses to get I do want auto aperature not concerned about auto focus as much but if it's available cool I usual shoot either p,a or m

As I said if you want in camera aperture control you don't want legacy glass you want AF lenses with appropriate adapters. When most people talk about legacy glass it is in reference to old manual lenses with the aperture ring controlled from the dial on the lens (or a rudimentary dial on the adapter). There aren't adapters (AFAIK) that let you control mechanical based apertures with your electronics based camera.

oh and I did forget about there 3rd party flashes too.

I know nothing about flashes

I'm jaunt tired I guess long day and this on top of it.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120Gear list
Like?

You could have stopped you post after the first four words.

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,178Gear list
Like?
Raging mad

windwolf wrote:

I shoot concerts weddings, glamour and special events which I was told the sony could handle.

Not for paying clients, I hope.

If so, it is a risky bussiness to do a job with brand new equipment - also using cheap adapters, expecting everything to work just like a DSLR.

The A7 is a very capable camera, but when combining all kinds of lenses and adapters you really need to test out the combinations first. Why not just get some FE lenses for the bread & butter work, and then experiment with lenses and adapters?

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
le_alain
Contributing MemberPosts: 840Gear list
Like?
Re: Raging mad
In reply to Nordstjernen, 4 months ago

Sorry, i did'nt undestand what you ound wrong, and with wich combo (lense, adapter?)

You say you can MF.

MF is a pleasur with this camera.

I use A7 with RF leica or CV lenses, M42 and Nikon Ais with no problem

you say the metter didn't work ??

If you want AF,

you ca use AF minolta lenses A mount with lea4, 24-702.8or 70-200if you want.

and in FE mount, you have some good lenses too

24-70 f4, 70-200 f4, 50 1.8, 35mm 2.8 which can do the job (events)

really don't understand in your description what was wrong precisely ?

le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Fujifilm X20
thedoctor1
Like?
In reply to le_alain, 4 months ago

Okay I have gotten some rest and have come up with a couple of things here,

a) I'm a troll that's a complete idiot and should be beaten with a stick

b) I'm a complete idiot for listening to the guy from where I bought the camera and get a full refund

c) already bought it and should get an la 3 and see what I can work out.

and the real truth why I got rid of most of my Nikon gear is I'm disabled and it was getting harder to carry the heavier equipment around to shoots(back).

I thought this would help me out with the lighter cameras

I guess what I was really trying to ask was what options I had for lenses and can I really use the A7 as a pro camera for the type of work I do which is mentioned above.

I  hope I didn't put anyone out here.

woof woof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,436
Like?

thedoctor1 wrote:

I guess what I was really trying to ask was what options I had for lenses and can I really use the A7 as a pro camera for the type of work I do which is mentioned above.

I hope I didn't put anyone out here.

Hi there.

I ditched a Canon 5D and some nice lenses for an A7 and kit lens and manual primes.

Even though I intended to mostly use primes on my A7 I picked up a 28-70mm kit lens for occasional use and although some reviews have criticised it a bit I personally have found it to be a good performer and easily up to the standard of similar kit lenses I've used in the past from Canon and Nikon.

I mostly use completely manual Olympus Zuiko and Minolta Rokkor prime lenses via Novoflex adapters and I'm very happy and I don't find manual focus too much of an issue and I find that the magnified view and focus peaking are good.

If you are not too happy with manual focus maybe you could take a look at the 28-70mm kit lens and the excellent 55 and 35mm primes. Personally I could live with just those three lenses.

windwolf
Like?
In reply to woof woof, 4 months ago

i can live with manual focus but i do want auto ap ant program mode still

woof woof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,436
Like?

Can I ask why you need auto aperture control?

Personally I'm happy to set the aperture on the lens and shooting at smaller apertures doesn't seem to cause too many issues with the EVF.

I just set the aperture I want and focus and shoot at that aperture and I see no real need to focus wide open and then stop down.

cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,490Gear list
Like?
It's your fault I'm afraid....

Hi, sorry, but who spends this kind of money without doing proper research on the gear first? I wouldn't listen to a sales person on anything.

The camera is great. I've used it alongside a Canon at 3 weddings now and it hasn't missed a beat. And I'm shooting with a manual Zeiss ZM mount lens with a Fotodiox adapter.

Sorry, but the fault is all on you. Time to move onto something that suits how you shoot

-- hide signature --

www.twitter.com/gavphotography

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,702Gear list
Like?
Re: Raging mad at myself
In reply to woof woof, 4 months ago

Ok...I would also be mad at myself for, in this age of too much..information age. I've done many illogical things over the years, so forgive yourself and take time to learn the camera and then come back to the forum when you need specific advice. The A7 is a capable camera once you learn it's strengths and weaknesses.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
windwolf
Like?
Re: It's your fault I'm afraid....
In reply to cheddargav, 4 months ago

I think my main problem is I have relied so much on auto  this and that I have forgotten  the old days of photography.As long as I can change my ISO and shoot  in AP I should be ok I was just concerned about the concerts I shoot and having a high enough shutter speed wow need to start being a photographer again but thats a good thing, there is always positive out of things.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads