Big and little critters, and other stuff with the 100-300 mm

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048Gear list
Like?
Re: Big and little critters, and other stuff with the 100-300 mm
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, 3 months ago

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Hope you don't mind I have taken my two favourites and done some very basic editing which I think improves them.

before

before

My Galleries are at
http://picasaweb.google.com/trevorfcarpenter

I certainly don't mind at all!   In fact, I feel  honoured that the BIF Master  would take the time to correct (more than "basic edit") those images.  I have been paying a lot of attention to WB especially since I posted these originals.  I think that I am getting the basics down.  Slow learner (that has to go back and review stuff more often)

I managed to get a shot of the VERY RARE 4-LEGGED Sandhill Crane yesterday.  I think that the image is processed better than my previous stuff!

4-legged Grus canadensis, quatro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandhill_Crane

Is the above warmed up enough?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to Alan_W1, 3 months ago

Alan_W1 wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Hope you don't mind I have taken my two favourites and done some very basic editing which I think improves them.

before

My Galleries are at

Looks a noticeable improvement to my eye......the fox shot especially, looks sublime!

How are you fixed for time Trevor?.........I have a bag full of shots needing a decent tweak!!

Mine too!

And I have a bag full too!

:-Dt

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,427Gear list
Like?
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 3 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Michael J Davis wrote:

Hi Tom! Nice shots.

I just wonder why you didn't use 1/500 at f5.6 for the more extreme shots. I think you are losing more in slight shake than in lens crispness. Why are the sandhill crane shots slightly pink?

I'm still trying to justify the purchase of a 300mm, but am getting nice shots with the 200mm + heavy cropping...

Mike

Thanks Mike. I think that you're referring to the shots at 1/320th. I was experimenting with trying to get a group of birds in focus. I think that you are right, though, and am losing lots in camera shake.

I don't know why those shots are pink. I think that I am having some WB issues. And I wasn't using my spectacles when processing. Working too late at night, maybe.

FWIW, I really like the 100-300 lens. Very versatile for narrow AOV imaging, especially when using those tubes.

I am hoping to see those birds again today, but it will be quite dim with some rain forecast.

Thanks, Tom, for those answers. I look forward to some more bird shots with it!

Happy birding!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to Michael J Davis, 3 months ago

Michael J Davis wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Michael J Davis wrote:

Hi Tom! Nice shots.

I just wonder why you didn't use 1/500 at f5.6 for the more extreme shots. I think you are losing more in slight shake than in lens crispness. Why are the sandhill crane shots slightly pink?

I'm still trying to justify the purchase of a 300mm, but am getting nice shots with the 200mm + heavy cropping...

Mike

Thanks Mike. I think that you're referring to the shots at 1/320th. I was experimenting with trying to get a group of birds in focus. I think that you are right, though, and am losing lots in camera shake.

I don't know why those shots are pink. I think that I am having some WB issues. And I wasn't using my spectacles when processing. Working too late at night, maybe.

FWIW, I really like the 100-300 lens. Very versatile for narrow AOV imaging, especially when using those tubes.

I am hoping to see those birds again today, but it will be quite dim with some rain forecast.

Thanks, Tom, for those answers. I look forward to some more bird shots with it!

Happy birding!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

Thanks Mike!

See here for yesterday's photo of the very rare Crus canadensis quatro:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53596234

Tom

DonSC
Contributing MemberPosts: 873
Like?

Still looks off to me. Almost as if it was shot using fluorescent and then warmed up a bit.

What was the WB on the camera?

GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to DonSC, 3 months ago

DonSC wrote:

Still looks off to me. Almost as if it was shot using fluorescent and then warmed up a bit.

What was the WB on the camera?

Hmmm!

2 PM Cloudy dim day, AutoWB on the GH2 giving Temp of 4050 and Tint of +40 after conversion with  Lightroom 5.3.

Exported from Lightroom with no tweaking, only resizing for the internet:

OOC with LR 5.3 conversion only.

Here is a screenshot of the LR sliders for the image below:

slider setting for image below ..

Here is the image, that you refer to, with the above slider settings:

It still  has a purplish tinge, eh?

My monitor is a calibrated 24" Dell U2410 driven by a high end MacBook Pro.   My (new) computer eyeglasses do have a slight warming (yellow brightening) tint, much to my chagrin.  Perhaps they are influencing me to miss the Kelvin Temperature by keeping it too "cool".

To my eyes the above crane and background approximate the colouring when the shot was taken.   The snow had just melted off that field about two days previous to the photo.

Internet is no help as the Sandhill Crane Images in Google are extremely variable.

Lots to learn.

Tom

R V C
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?

It still  has a purplish tinge, eh?

Do i see 4 legs? Oooooo.. mutant or there are 2 cranes?

-- hide signature --

"Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly until you learn to do it well."
-- Zig Ziglar

R V C's gear list:R V C's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
bigley Ling
Contributing MemberPosts: 988
Like?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, 3 months ago

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

before

before

My Galleries are at

Impressive improvements! Did you have the white balance set manually when you captured the images?

GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to R V C, 3 months ago

R V C wrote:

It still has a purplish tinge, eh?

Do i see 4 legs? Oooooo.. mutant or there are 2 cranes?

-- hide signature --

-- Zig Ziglar

A VERY rare sight!  Normal Sandhill Crane is Grus canadensis.   Above is Grus canadensis quatro.

Related to common Sidehill Gouger.

Above shot took me half a day to train birds to walk like that.

Tom

Another try with WB, this time eyedropper on cheek of bird:

Another WB try:  Eyedropper on cheek. ( I AM finding that my new glasses are messing me up!!!)  

Tom

GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to bigley Ling, 3 months ago

bigley Ling wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

before

before

My Galleries are at

Impressive improvements! Did you have the white balance set manually when you captured the images?

I agree!  Trevor made a big difference to these.

Camera was set to AUTO WB, processed "As Shot" in Lightroom.  Subsequently warmed up.  Then used eyedropper.

See my earlier comments regarding WB issues.

Tom

Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,427Gear list
Like?
ROTFL!

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

I certainly don't mind at all! In fact, I feel honoured that the BIF Master would take the time to correct (more than "basic edit") those images. I have been paying a lot of attention to WB especially since I posted these originals. I think that I am getting the basics down. Slow learner (that has to go back and review stuff more often)

I managed to get a shot of the VERY RARE 4-LEGGED Sandhill Crane yesterday. I think that the image is processed better than my previous stuff!

4-legged Grus canadensis, quatro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandhill_Crane

Is the above warmed up enough?

On the technical point - it's still too pink; but I see a better one lower down the thread.

Now as to the ornithology, I'm assuming it's got a shy youngster aboard. They do have ridiculously long legs, don't they?

Oh yes, it's nicely sharp considering!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
GeorgianBay1939
Like?
Re: ROTFL!
In reply to Michael J Davis, 3 months ago

Michael J Davis wrote:

On the technical point - it's still too pink; but I see a better one lower down the thread.

Now as to the ornithology, I'm assuming it's got a shy youngster aboard. They do have ridiculously long legs, don't they?

Oh yes, it's nicely sharp considering!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

Is the second version here ok? 

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53602114

Tom

R V C
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?
Re: ROTFL!

Damn, did not know they carry their young ones around...I am off to read up about them.

-- hide signature --

-- Zig Ziglar

R V C's gear list:R V C's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads