So, Steve Huff is not buying a Leica T

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,829
Like?
So, Steve Huff is not buying a Leica T
4 months ago

Before the announcement last week, his web page "My Gear" had a paragraph under the description of his M240, saying something like "Stay tuned for additional gear that I will add soon that will complement the above system"

However, that text is removed now.

Given his lukewarm review the T, then he is definetely not buying a T for himself.

jeff hladun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,974
Like?
Re: So, Steve Huff is not buying a Leica T
In reply to miro3, 4 months ago

No matter how great a camera is, or how excellent the lens is, a picture of a tree in the backyard is just a picture of a tree in the backyard.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,582Gear list
Like?

miro3 wrote:

Before the announcement last week, his web page "My Gear" had a paragraph under the description of his M240, saying something like "Stay tuned for additional gear that I will add soon that will complement the above system"

Given his lukewarm review the T, then he is definetely not buying a T for himself.

Now that he has it, the statement.... ("Stay tuned for additional gear that I will add soon that will complement the above system").... would not be true.

miro3
Like?
In reply to intruder61, 4 months ago

intruder61 wrote:

miro3 wrote:

Now that he has it, the statement.... ("Stay tuned for additional gear that I will add soon that will complement the above system").... would not be true.

He had it last week, 1-2 days before the announcement of the Leica T, but this statement is removed now.

miro3
Like?
In reply to jeff hladun, 4 months ago

jeff hladun wrote:

No matter how great a camera is, or how excellent the lens is, a picture of a tree in the backyard is just a picture of a tree in the backyard.

... and sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Tough.

nplanet
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
jeff hladun
Like?

miro3 wrote:

Tough.

That's a Sigmund Freud quote, pertaining to phallic symbolism. Maybe there's something to be said about (male) amateurs constantly upgrading their cameras and lenses for the latest thing. 

I like Steve's site for his reviews and his enthusiasm. His photography is another matter; I've yet to see any substantive improvement in his work, given the equipment available to him. What camera equipment he uses for personal satisfaction is of no interest to me.

miro3
Like?
In reply to nplanet, 4 months ago
miro3
Like?

jeff hladun wrote:

miro3 wrote:

Tough.

That's a Sigmund Freud quote, pertaining to phallic symbolism. Maybe there's something to be said about (male) amateurs constantly upgrading their cameras and lenses for the latest thing.

OK, then we cannot blame him for not buying a Leica T.

I like Steve's site for his reviews and his enthusiasm. His photography is another matter; I've yet to see any substantive improvement in his work, given the equipment available to him.

Let's keep a beginner's mind, and focus on improving ourselves rather than criticizing other people.

What camera equipment he uses for personal satisfaction is of no interest to me.

RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,968Gear list
Like?

miro3 wrote:

Why should anyone be concerned about what Huff is or is not buying?  How does that affect anyone else's photography?

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

jeff hladun
Like?

miro3 wrote:

Let's keep a beginner's mind, and focus on improving ourselves rather than criticizing other people.

I thought I made it clear that I like Steve (his reviews and enthusiasm). I just don't like his photography. That's not a dig at the man at all.

But since you're the one so interested in what he personally shoots with, by all means tell me what it is about his photography you like so much.

Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?

miro3 wrote:

nplanet wrote:

I guess he is too busy chasing ghosts:

http://www.youtube.com/user/huffparanormal

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/the-paranormal-how-to-talk-to-the-dead-my-experience-and-evidence-with-evp-spirit-boxes-ghost-boxes-and-spirit-communication/

We can't blame him for having fun.

A woman I went to college with is a psychic in San Francisco. She's making a very good living and is self-employed choosing the hours when she wants to work. And she doesn't believe in anything she does. For her, psychics and the paranormal is all a bunch of crap. Instead it's about living in SF while earning money and having fun. She's been talking lately about going to law school, and to settle down and get a long term career.

nplanet
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
In reply to Fogsville, 4 months ago

Oh, there is nothing wrong with that. I just think he lost the little credibility he had and I personally cannot take any of his reviews seriously, but this is just me. He is just trying to make a quick buck. Not that there is something wrong with that either. Buyers be aware.

Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
In reply to nplanet, 4 months ago

nplanet wrote:

Oh, there is nothing wrong with that. I just think he lost the little credibility he had and I personally cannot take any of his reviews seriously, but this is just me. He is just trying to make a quick buck. Not that there is something wrong with that either. Buyers be aware.

I agree. The majority of review sites were started with one thing in mind: some sort of income and profitability that allows for doing away with the day job.  And yes, probably not a good idea to buy anything based on one person's opinion.  But putting together an aggregate of opinions can sometimes help someone make a decision.  Like with restaurants and movies, etc..

I wonder if that paranormal stuff of his is just a parody.  If so, then it's pretty good.

miro3
Like?

jeff hladun wrote:

miro3 wrote:

I thought I made it clear that I like Steve (his reviews and enthusiasm). I just don't like his photography. That's not a dig at the man at all.

But since you're the one so interested in what he personally shoots with, by all means tell me what it is about his photography you like so much.

Liking or not liking is a subjective thing.

love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,720
Like?

miro3 wrote:

You think this guy has all the money in the world to buy the "toys" he loves so much? He is just luck to be able to get his hands on these gear for the "reviews".

miro3
Like?
In reply to love_them_all, 4 months ago

love_them_all wrote:

miro3 wrote:

You think this guy has all the money in the world to buy the "toys" he loves so much? He is just luck to be able to get his hands on these gear for the "reviews".

Good point.

He has an M240 with several Leica M lenses though, and that is one of his systems.

bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 4,897
Like?

miro3 wrote:

So yes my friends, those images you saw were the real deal but until you really see what the new T is all about, AND hold one AND shoot with one, you will have no idea how super cool and fantastic it really is.

this is a quote from Steve's review used here only for instructional purposes. Does this really sound like a lukewarm review??? your kidding right?

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

miro3
Like?
In reply to bosjohn21, 4 months ago

bosjohn21 wrote:

miro3 wrote:

So yes my friends, those images you saw were the real deal but until you really see what the new T is all about, AND hold one AND shoot with one, you will have no idea how super cool and fantastic it really is.

this is a quote from Steve's review used here only for instructional purposes. Does this really sound like a lukewarm review??? your kidding right?

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

I noticed his concern about grain at ISO of 1600 and 3200, and other issues that should not be there for a camera of this price tag.

bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 4,897
Like?

I also watch the video and his enthusiasm for the camera knew no bounds. That its not a perfect camera and he pointed out its short comings does not ipso facto translate to a lukewarm review. I think your making a leap of faith assumption because he has removed some text from his site he wont buy this camera he may already have done so in which case he would remove the text.

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads