GH4: sequence (many pics)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 5,726Gear list
Like?
Re: GH4: sequence (many pics) BIF test?
In reply to guybie, 8 months ago

guybie wrote:

Waw, very good! I just ordered mine this morning, hope to receive it in two weeks.
I would like to ask you whether you can test fast moving BIF for me, if possible with the
100-300mm .

So far my 100-300mm has been slow.  When I am in high FPS mode and switch to this lens, the FPS are noticeably fewer.   It may need a firmware update or something.   I would think as long as you pre-focus on something a similar distance so the lens doesn't have to much to change, it should work for BIFs.   I'll be curious to read about your results.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,046Gear list
Like?
Re: GH4: sequence (many pics)
In reply to Lab D, 8 months ago

Hi Lab,

Hope you don't mind some partly off-topic (not about action shooting) questions about your new GH4.

Apparently, one of the new features of the GH4 (but a long established one on dedicated video cameras) is the Zebra Pattern, which, if I understand things correctly, is a zebra-like pattern indicating over-exposure in those parts of the frame where it is shown. It thus seems to offer something like the live-view "blinkies" (they do not actually blink) that has long been available on Oly bodies.

Questions:

Does this work for stills too, not just for video?

Does it warn for under-exposure too, not just over-exposure?

Can it provide these warnings even for very small areas? If so how (if it is a pattern requiring a minimum of spatial extension we are talking about)? On the Olys, a solid color is used (orange for highlights, blue for shadows) so that the information about where you have exposure problems can be made very fine-grained.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
guybie
Contributing MemberPosts: 740Gear list
Like?

Oeps, sorry to hear that.
One more question however, do you notice an improvement compared to you previous camera?

guybie's gear list:guybie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +4 more
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,450
Like?
In reply to Anders W, 8 months ago

Anders W wrote:

Hi Lab,

Hope you don't mind some partly off-topic (not about action shooting) questions about your new GH4.

Apparently, one of the new features of the GH4 (but a long established one on dedicated video cameras) is the Zebra Pattern, which, if I understand things correctly, is a zebra-like pattern indicating over-exposure in those parts of the frame where it is shown. It thus seems to offer something like the live-view "blinkies" (they do not actually blink) that has long been available on Oly bodies.

Questions:

Can it provide these warnings even for very small areas? If so how (if it is a pattern requiring a minimum of spatial extension we are talking about)? On the Olys, a solid color is used (orange for highlights, blue for shadows) so that the information about where you have exposure problems can be made very fine-grained.

It works for stills and video.  You can store two different settings and set different levels for each in 5% increments, e.g., Zebra 1 90%, Zebra 2 105%.

The pattern is relatively tight so it seems to work fine for small areas.  You might miss something *really* small like a pinpoint reflection of the sun, but I can't imagine wanting to expose for that anyway.

There's no underexposure warning.

amtberg
Like?

guybie wrote:

Waw, very good! I just ordered mine this morning, hope to receive it in two weeks.
I would like to ask you whether you can test fast moving BIF for me, if possible with the
100-300mm .

I didn't have the 100-300 with me, but I shot these test pics with the 45-150 (Pana):

Look out below!!

I didn't do a direct comparison but I believe I got a better keeper rate with the GH4 than I ever did with the GH3 or GH2.

Lab D
Like?
Zebras, Peaking and magnification
In reply to amtberg, 8 months ago

amtberg wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Hi Lab,

Hope you don't mind some partly off-topic (not about action shooting) questions about your new GH4.

Questions:

Can it provide these warnings even for very small areas? If so how (if it is a pattern requiring a minimum of spatial extension we are talking about)? On the Olys, a solid color is used (orange for highlights, blue for shadows) so that the information about where you have exposure problems can be made very fine-grained.

It works for stills and video. You can store two different settings and set different levels for each in 5% increments, e.g., Zebra 1 90%, Zebra 2 105%.

The pattern is relatively tight so it seems to work fine for small areas. You might miss something *really* small like a pinpoint reflection of the sun, but I can't imagine wanting to expose for that anyway.

I haven't used them too much but for stills I have Zebras, peaking and that magnification window all turned on at the same time.  With the large view finder I think these will be very helpful.  The magnification window and peaking really let you quickly fine tune focus while still being able to see the subject in the whole frame.

Lab D
Like?
Wow!

amtberg wrote:

guybie wrote:

100-300mm .

I didn't have the 100-300 with me, but I shot these test pics with the 45-150 (Pana):

Look out below!!

I didn't do a direct comparison but I believe I got a better keeper rate with the GH4 than I ever did with the GH3 or GH2.

I am impressed!.  From what I can tell focus is very accurate but there may be some motion blur due to a "slow" shutter speed?   I have read that it should be 1/1000 or faster if possible.  Still those are great shots and I love the 2nd one.

guybie
Contributing MemberPosts: 740Gear list
Like?

Thanks!

the second one is the best i think.

Looks like there's hope

guybie's gear list:guybie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +4 more
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,046Gear list
Like?

amtberg wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Hi Lab,

Questions:

It works for stills and video. You can store two different settings and set different levels for each in 5% increments, e.g., Zebra 1 90%, Zebra 2 105%.

The pattern is relatively tight so it seems to work fine for small areas. You might miss something *really* small like a pinpoint reflection of the sun, but I can't imagine wanting to expose for that anyway.

Thanks. Sounds good. Happy to hear that this feature (live-view in-the-frame warnings of highlight clipping) is now available on the GH4 and hopefully future Pany bodies as well. It's one of the features I appreciate most with my E-M5. If you are a RAW shooter and want to ETTR, that's all you need to set proper exposure (and do it quickly) most of the time. I hardly ever use the meter any more.

The fact that there is no underexposure warning in the Pany system doesn't matter much in my opinion. As long as you know when and where the highlights are clipping, all is well.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Lab D
Like?

guybie wrote:

Oeps, sorry to hear that.
One more question however, do you notice an improvement compared to you previous camera?

Yes, and my last cameras was the E-M1.

One big difference is with focusing in very low light. I thought the E-M1 was very good, but the GH4 is even faster (with the right lens).

Here is a test I did...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53563402

G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,254Gear list
Like?

Look promising; thanks.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
amtberg
Like?
Re: Wow!

Lab D wrote:

I am impressed!. From what I can tell focus is very accurate but there may be some motion blur due to a "slow" shutter speed? I have read that it should be 1/1000 or faster if possible. Still those are great shots and I love the 2nd one.

Tx.  BIF definitely isn't my strong suit but I think I'll have better success with the GH4.  I think you're right -- I should have used shutter priority with a faster speed.  Also, my 45-150 isn't all that sharp, especially at 150mm.  My 100-300 is much better.  Next time I'll take the big lens.

rxbot
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
Re: Well

$1900 at Amazon body only. Compare these BIF pictures with the A6000 BIF pictures on another thread. Are these equal or 3X better?

Lab D
Like?
Re: Well
In reply to rxbot, 8 months ago

rxbot wrote:

$1900 at Amazon body only.

Right there we know what kind of poster you are.

And, yes the GH4 focuses faster and does a little thing called 4K, but Sony does sell a lesser camera $2000 for that.

hifi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?

Impressive work!  Thanks for sharing these.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads