GH4: sequence (many pics)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 3,933Gear list
Like?
GH4: sequence (many pics)
5 months ago

First and only try today.  The GH4 locked on to the top of his head.  He runs pretty quick and if you are not careful he WILL knock you down.  DoF was pretty shallow at the end.

There is no "my camera is better than yours" claim here (so find another thread of that), but we can conclude DFD is real and good enough for most buyers.

By the end he was still moving very fast and it was very difficult to keep him in the frame.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Nikon Df Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lab D
Like?
My favorite
In reply to Lab D, 5 months ago

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,090Gear list
Like?
Re: My favorite

Cute dog!  Is he a labradoodle?

-J

danieljcox
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
In reply to jalywol, 5 months ago

Getting ready to run this test this evening myself. Will let yo know. It looks somewhat promising I will say.

danieljcox's gear list:danieljcox's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +9 more
Lab D
Like?
In reply to jalywol, 5 months ago

Cute dog!  Is he a labradoodle?

-J

Yes, and thank you. Now you know where my ID comes from.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,725Gear list
Like?
Re: GH4: sequence (many pics)

Yes, it works (DFD i mean).

It will work better in future models.

I've never been successful when taking photos of running dogs with my GH2 and G1

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,090Gear list
Like?

Lab D wrote:

Cute dog! Is he a labradoodle?

-J

Yes, and thank you. Now you know where my ID comes from.

That had occurred to me after I posted the question 

(I have a yellow Lab myself, wonderful dogs).

-J

Lab D
Like?
Looking forward to it!
In reply to danieljcox, 5 months ago

danieljcox wrote:

Getting ready to run this test this evening myself. Will let yo know. It looks somewhat promising I will say.

Thanks in advance.  I look forward to more people testing this.  I know the lens may affect results too.  It will be nice to see which work best.

Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,019Gear list
Like?

Excellent series. I guess that takes care of the question can it track well. Now as you say, to see which lenses work better or worse, and perhaps if there are conditions where it could be better or worse than your results. As an overall average, i would say we have a perfectly capable, DSLR equivelent, action camera (as well as 4k ect). So much for the theory about basing this all on one or two pics 

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256Gear list
Like?

I've tried this many time with my gh3 but never had anything like this sort of success so I'm impressed.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
David 247
Senior MemberPosts: 1,830Gear list
Like?

Looking good so far.  Like what I see.

-- hide signature --

- David
"The only good camera is the one you have with you when opportunity provides the inspiration"
http://lightweaver.zenfolio.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/davidwendelrobinson
Lightweaver's Blog: http://lightweaversblog.blogspot.com

David 247's gear list:David 247's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
Lab D
Like?
Here is what really impresses me...
In reply to robonrome, 5 months ago

robonrome wrote:

I've tried this many time with my gh3 but never had anything like this sort of success so I'm impressed.

It is very hard to keep a crazy fast charging dog in the frame especially when he is only a few feet away, but when you do and even though the DoF is only a few inches, the camera seems to nail it.

neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,014
Like?

Not sure if that is evidence of DFD but it is certainly very good ....how does it do with DFD off? (or is it always on when tracking)??

That shows as around 6fps.....Does turning things on or off affect the speed? (have you turned anything on/off yet?

Tracking (not something I usually do) with my GX7 is great but seems a bit slower than 5fps it is supposed to be able to do but I have lots of things turned on.

Lab D
Like?
In reply to neil holmes, 5 months ago

neil holmes wrote:

Not sure if that is evidence of DFD but it is certainly very good ....how does it do with DFD off? (or is it always on when tracking)??

That shows as around 6fps.....Does turning things on or off affect the speed? (have you turned anything on/off yet?

Tracking (not something I usually do) with my GX7 is great but seems a bit slower than 5fps it is supposed to be able to do but I have lots of things turned on.

From what I can tell it is about 7-8 FPS which matches the 7.5 FPS the specs say.  When you switch form AF-S mode to AF-C it changes from 12 to about 7 or 8 FPS I found earlier today.

Tracking is always DFD and I do not think you can turn it off.   It is simply an improved version/next generation of CDAF that works in any lighting condition.  This why even when I have a lens focused on infinity and I snap a picture in near darkness of something close (forcing the focus to make a maximum change), it still can do it in the blink of an eye (with the right lens).

neil holmes
Like?

Lab D wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

That shows as around 6fps.....Does turning things on or off affect the speed? (have you turned anything on/off yet?

Tracking (not something I usually do) with my GX7 is great but seems a bit slower than 5fps it is supposed to be able to do but I have lots of things turned on.

From what I can tell it is about 7-8 FPS which matches the 7.5 FPS the specs say. When you switch form AF-S mode to AF-C it changes from 12 to about 7 or 8 FPS I found earlier today.

Tracking is always DFD and I do not think you can turn it off. It is simply an improved version/next generation of CDAF that works in any lighting condition. This why even when I have a lens focused on infinity and I snap a picture in near darkness of something close (forcing the focus to make a maximum change), it still can do it in the blink of an eye (with the right lens).

Thanks.

Your sequence had 6 shots on the same second with others before and after....

I had the same thing the other day with the GX7.... I THOUGHT I was shooting at 5fps but it was only 2 or 3 shooting at 1/8000 when I looked at the times in the photo details.... that's why I was asking about things on/off making a difference....I think it does with the GX7....seems less so though with the GH4 (if it is affected at all).

Old Listener
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
In reply to neil holmes, 5 months ago

This doesn't prove anything.  You need to use a greyhound! 

Old Listener's gear list:Old Listener's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Nikon D5000 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
neil holmes
Like?
In reply to Old Listener, 5 months ago

Old Listener wrote:

This doesn't prove anything. You need to use a greyhound!

LOL

That wont prove anything either.....a couple of years ago I used to shoot greyhounds with manual focus lenses and they were used by Australia's biggest circulation greyhound racing paper.

Focus advances with mirrorless cameras have accelerated a LOT lately.

amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,394
Like?
In reply to Old Listener, 5 months ago

Old Listener wrote:

This doesn't prove anything. You need to use a greyhound!

I could just as well with my Kodak Instamatic.

guybie
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Re: GH4: sequence (many pics) BIF test?

Waw, very good! I just ordered mine this morning, hope to receive it in two weeks.
I would like to ask you whether you can test fast moving BIF for me, if possible with the
100-300mm .

ab D wrote:

First and only try today. The GH4 locked on to the top of his head. He runs pretty quick and if you are not careful he WILL knock you down. DoF was pretty shallow at the end.

There is no "my camera is better than yours" claim here (so find another thread of that), but we can conclude DFD is real and good enough for most buyers.

By the end he was still moving very fast and it was very difficult to keep him in the frame.

guybie's gear list:guybie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261Gear list
Like?

This looks promising. I wonder how it compares to the GM1, which really surprised me recently.

The question is:  is this possible thanks to the new DFD method or the better contrast detection algorithms, aslo used in the GM1.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3649108

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads