Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Bodhi-U
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Like?
SX50 at San Diego Zoo Fete...
4 months ago

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117803913@N04/sets/72157644409033294/

San Diego Zoo, San Diego, CA

Canon SX50 RAW, AWB, AV, and monopod.  Most of these shots would have been impossible without the SX50 super zoom.

brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,169Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50 at San Diego Zoo Fete...
In reply to Bodhi-U, 4 months ago

Excellent shots, that green snake is fantastic, but there are so many good ones there that they cannot all be mentioned.  I especially like it when the wire cage cannot be seen, then we can pretend they are in the wild where they should be.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
evancj
Senior MemberPosts: 1,811
Like?

Another excellent set of photos from you Bodhi. You really know how to use that camera. Well done!!!

Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,440Gear list
Like?

Another excellent zoo series from you !

Congratulations and thank you for sharing,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Olympus SP-810 UZ Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
var1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128Gear list
Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, 4 months ago

Wonderful series again.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Ron
Salamander Bay, Australia

var1's gear list:var1's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
stevenic
Contributing MemberPosts: 514
Like?
In reply to var1, 4 months ago

Love the photos so hard choosing between the canon sx50 and Nikon p600

Cheers

Steve.

alamojo
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevenic, 4 months ago

Thanks for sharing.  I just picked up the SX50 this weekend and will be taking it to Alaska in 4 weeks.  I'm thinking of getting a monopod -- which do you use?

alamojo's gear list:alamojo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,713Gear list
Like?

A great series of shots.  I always enjoy zoo shooting.  The San Diego Zoo is known to be one of the best.  Nice work with your SX50.  Curious to know, as I am not a RAW shooter, just how much time was taken to "process" that entire group of shots?

Bodhi-U
Like?
In reply to alamojo, 4 months ago

I got a $20 monopod some years back on ebay and that is the cheapest way to go, but make sure that your monopod has the quick release feature that you can detach and reatach the camera for greater flexibility.  good luck.  A monopod is necessary with any zoom camera or strong lens to eliminate camera shake.

Will look forward to seeing your Alaska photos.  Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Bodhi-U
Like?
In reply to BobT, 4 months ago

Just shooting with in RAW mode with the SX50 slows down to one frame per second, but the end result is a vastly superior picture.  As far as post processing that involves a bit of extra time too.  I think it may come down to also how fast or strong your computer is to get through the process quicker.  For example, I use the free version of Google's Picasa which isn't any where near as good nor expensive as photoshop.  It can take between 30 seconds to one minute per picture.  First you simply want to go through and delete the bad photos.  I shot some 800 photos in this last outing and only 200 where any good for various reasons (usually the subject/animal moving).

But shooting in RAW brings you greater image quality, detail, color, etc.  Once you start with RAW you would never go back to jpeg!

Michael Kaplan
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,030Gear list
Like?

Very nice photos. I too love to shoot animals. They are great subjects.

-- hide signature --

Michael Kaplan
http://www.pbase.com/mkaplan
See my profile for equipment list

Michael Kaplan's gear list:Michael Kaplan's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D800 Samsung HZ30W Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Hollander
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362Gear list
Like?

Great quality of pictures again Bodhi-U at the SD zoo. I like all the flower shots on page 3 and the peacock on page 1 is superb.

I have 3 tripods but they never get used  However after seeing your excellent shots i might get a mono pod.

Cheers,

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
Bodhi-U
Like?
In reply to Hollander, 4 months ago

With a telephoto zoom like the SX50 a monopod or tripod is a must.  Try getting a monopod with a quick release feature on ebay, they are the cheapest.  Good luck and thanks for your comments.

Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 2,961
Like?
In reply to Bodhi-U, 3 months ago

EXCELLENT series Bodhi!

Andre W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,240Gear list
Like?

This is one of the best sets of images I've thus far seen - you surely know how to get the best out of your equipment - well done.

You mostly shoot in AV? and

ALWAYS with a mono pod? (I battle with my mono pod technique - not getting stability)

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Andrè W

Andre W's gear list:Andre W's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot SX270 HS Canon EOS 60D Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +2 more
Bodhi-U
Like?
In reply to Andre W, 3 months ago

Thx for your reply.

Regarding the monopod, I make a conserted effort to hold my breath, arms tucked in close to the body, brace myself, and apply a gentle push down with the finger when taking a shot.  There are times when I'm not always successful, especially at full out zoom when the slightest bobble and camera shake creaps in the most.  It takes some conscious effort when shooting to be calm, stable, hold your breath, and be at ease.

ebay has inexpensive monopods (mine only cost $20 some seven years ago and is in need of replacing) but make sure you get a monopod that has the quick release options so that you can detach from the monopod if necessary.

Good luck to all and good shooting.

Andre W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,240Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the reply - appreciated.

I will just have to practice with the mono pod more - I MUST get it right, or else watch my shutter speed.

It is clear from what you say and your results show it beautifully, it's essential to get the correct shutter speed in relation to the focal length and THAT can only be achieved by using some method of stabilizing the camera, be it a mono or tri pod.

It also seems shooting RAW is very important for you.

I don't suppose there is a setting or possibility in the SX50, to "automate" via a custom setting perhaps (for the lack of a better word) such a requirement - that the shutter speed never falls under the focal length? - or should one then only use the time value option?

Thanks again - I will surely follow you on Flickr.

Regards

Andrè W

Andre W's gear list:Andre W's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot SX270 HS Canon EOS 60D Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +2 more
Bodhi-U
Like?
Re: SX50 better performance and shots...
In reply to Andre W, 3 months ago

Some ways to better improve your SX50 shooting performance and image quality are:

Shoot in RAW.  While only shooting at a burst rate of one frame per second, the image quality and detailed captures almost equals that of a low end dslr (though not quite there yet).

Over exposure issue. The SX50 seems to over expose and be on the high end of the light scale, so I drop by 1/3 the exposure to compensate for this and some times by 2/3s under exposure on very bright days.

Use monopod.  Because the SX50 is a super zoom camera, at full zoom it is hard to stop blurring and normal camera shake, so a monopod is essential in helping dealing with this issue (trying to compensate by upping the ISO only leads to deterioriation of image quality).  I try to shot as much as possible in at ISO 80 for best detail and image quality.  I only up the ISO higher when shooting a fast moving subject such as a bird or animal.

Following these three hints should help with anyone's use and performance of the Canon SX50.

Good luck to all.

Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevenic, 3 months ago

stevenic wrote:

Cheers

Steve.

I'm sorry, Steve, for me RAW shooting is essential from now, because I can easily get better images from RAW than from JPEG (mainly highlight/shadow, sharpness, color and noise control). Mind you, I'm just new in shooting RAW.

All the best,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Olympus SP-810 UZ Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
stevenic
Contributing MemberPosts: 514
Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, 3 months ago

Augustin Man wrote:

stevenic wrote:

Cheers

Steve.

I'm sorry, Steve, for me RAW shooting is essential from now, because I can easily get better images from RAW than from JPEG (mainly highlight/shadow, sharpness, color and noise control). Mind you, I'm just new in shooting RAW.

All the best,

Augustin

Hi,

I suppose I look at some of Mcbrig photos (Nikon p600) in the Nikon forum and I tell you they are sharp, clear and detailed. Do you think Canon sx50 raw photos would be better than those?

Cheers

Steve.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads