G15 scratch on lens and I hate Canon (nt)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
tkpatric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
G15 scratch on lens and I hate Canon (nt)
3 months ago
Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832Gear list
Like?
Re: G15 scratch on lens and I hate Canon (nt)
In reply to tkpatric, 3 months ago

Did I miss something? I also hate Canon for their camera crippling, but I still keep buying those for some reason. It has good feel. All of their stuff...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 12,988Gear list
Like?

My SX260 has a small scratch on the lens, but the whole lens assembly has become unusable with E32 errors constantly, so I am lucky that the scratch doesn't matter.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
tkpatric
Like?
In reply to crashpc, 3 months ago

crashpc wrote:

Did I miss something? I also hate Canon for their camera crippling, but I still keep buying those for some reason. It has good feel. All of their stuff...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

It has a good feel and it is a good camera... otherwise. They keep making the same mistake.

crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832Gear list
Like?

tkpatric wrote:

crashpc wrote:

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

It has a good feel and it is a good camera... otherwise. They keep making the same mistake.

It might be not mistake, but intention

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,274
Like?

tkpatric wrote:

Just wondering and not wishing to be provocative or anything but is it possible that lens scratches on the G Series are due to the way people store or carry it? Are people applying pressure to the lens cap shutter blades perhaps by stuffing the camera in a pocket?

My experience can no way be considered universal of course but having owned a G10 and G11 for many years and used them extensively, neither have lens scratches. Neither does anyone else I know who has got either of those cameras, or the G15/16.

tkpatric
Like?
In reply to crashpc, 3 months ago

crashpc wrote:

tkpatric wrote:

crashpc wrote:

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

It might be not mistake, but intention

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

tkpatric
Like?
In reply to meland, 3 months ago

meland wrote:

tkpatric wrote:

Just wondering and not wishing to be provocative or anything but is it possible that lens scratches on the G Series are due to the way people store or carry it? Are people applying pressure to the lens cap shutter blades perhaps by stuffing the camera in a pocket?

My experience can no way be considered universal of course but having owned a G10 and G11 for many years and used them extensively, neither have lens scratches. Neither does anyone else I know who has got either of those cameras, or the G15/16.

I got about 10 p&s camera's, and the G15 is the only one with scratches. Coincidence?

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,274
Like?

tkpatric wrote:

meland wrote:

tkpatric wrote:

I got about 10 p&s camera's, and the G15 is the only one with scratches. Coincidence?

A 1 in 10 chance of that I guess.    

tkpatric
Like?
In reply to meland, 3 months ago

meland wrote:

tkpatric wrote:

meland wrote:

tkpatric wrote:

A 1 in 10 chance of that I guess.

Spider1943
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?

tkpatric wrote:

Did Canon put the scratch on your lens?  Interesting.  I've had all makes and models of cameras in 60 years and never got a scratch on a lens.

tkpatric
Like?
In reply to Spider1943, 3 months ago

tkpatric wrote:

Did Canon put the scratch on your lens?  Interesting.  I've had all makes and models of cameras in 60 years and never got a scratch on a lens.

They did not, but they definitely helped.
--
http://users.telenet.be/patric/
http://sissers.be/

pmcg
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
In reply to tkpatric, 1 month ago

My G9 had a few small insignificant scratches from the lens cover, but my G15 has enough scratches to create a problem with the photos, especially if shot in anyway into the sun. The scratches are somewhat elongated as if thy occurred as the lens cover was in motion over the lens.  This is obviously a manufacturer design problem. The lens cover should be designed so that it never makes contact with the lens. It disturbs the lens coating in such a way as to create permanent smudging on the lens. I am in a complete quandary as to what to do. My G15 is out of warranty and afraid to buy another...yet the G15 is perfect for me in every other way, especially it's macro abilities.

tkpatric wrote

Did Canon put the scratch on your lens? Interesting. I've had all makes and models of cameras in 60 years and never got a scratch on a lens.

--

tkpatric
Like?
In reply to pmcg, 1 month ago

pmcg wrote:

My G9 had a few small insignificant scratches from the lens cover, but my G15 has enough scratches to create a problem with the photos, especially if shot in anyway into the sun. The scratches are somewhat elongated as if thy occurred as the lens cover was in motion over the lens. This is obviously a manufacturer design problem. The lens cover should be designed so that it never makes contact with the lens. It disturbs the lens coating in such a way as to create permanent smudging on the lens. I am in a complete quandary as to what to do. My G15 is out of warranty and afraid to buy another...yet the G15 is perfect for me in every other way, especially it's macro abilities.

tkpatric wrote

Did Canon put the scratch on your lens? Interesting. I've had all makes and models of cameras in 60 years and never got a scratch on a lens.

--

Yes, the G15 is a wonderful camera, but those scratches... When will they ever learn!

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,500Gear list
Like?
In reply to tkpatric, 1 month ago

tkpatric wrote:

Yes, the G15 is a wonderful camera, but those scratches... When will they ever learn!

I have never gotten any scratches on any of my G series cameras with the automatic lens cap -- G12, G15. But I also never store them or use them in any fashion that puts pressure on the shutter leafs. I think any pressure bends them in and sets the camera up to cause scratches.  They are not strong enough for situations where they could be bent inward.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,376Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, 1 month ago

That is the problem with leaf lens covers as they need to be treated with almost as much care as an open lens. I always make sure even in a case that there is no external intrusion in to the lens cavity from spare batteries etc..

Dale Buhanan wrote:

tkpatric wrote:

I have never gotten any scratches on any of my G series cameras with the automatic lens cap -- G12, G15. But I also never store them or use them in any fashion that puts pressure on the shutter leafs. I think any pressure bends them in and sets the camera up to cause scratches. They are not strong enough for situations where they could be bent inward.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads