I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Wesley Byrne
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?
I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!
8 months ago

UPS just delivered my Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II. I had read the reviews and knew the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 autofocus wasn't fast, but I wasn't expecting it to be so unbearably slow. Some here have said that the 20mm f1.7 isn't that slow, and that it autofocuses about as fast as other m43 lenses when large focus adjustments are not needed, but they are wrong. This lens is useless for even slow moving subjects. I am definitely returning this lens.

I know the 20mm f1.7 has many fans, presumably folks who photograph static scenes. In my opinion, compared to the 17mm f1.8 and the 25mm f1.8, the 20mm f1.7 is a dog. Panasonic should be embarrassed for releasing this lens with barely-functional AF.

</end rant>

Wesley Byrne's gear list:Wesley Byrne's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?
Re: I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!
In reply to Wesley Byrne, 8 months ago

It takes a bit different technique, but if you give the 20 something with a bit of contrast to focus on, it is not particularly slow.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,307Gear list
Like?

In the second version, Panasonic did nothing to improve AF.

Since there are now alternatives to the 1.7/20mm, which are equal or better in IQ (1.8/25mm, 1.4/25mm) and which have a fast AF, there isn't any point left to buy this lens, especially since the O 1.8/25mm is also pretty small and light.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
yangz
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?

Just get Oly 17mm f1.8. Sacrificing smaller size and some image quality but gain pretty quick autofocus.

Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810
Like?

I have compared the focus speed of the new and old version here:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2014/04/new-20mm-f17-lens-is-less-noisy.html

My results indicate that the new version focuses at the same speed as the old version. However, the new lens appears to be less noisy.

Wesley Byrne
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 8 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

Since there are now alternatives to the 1.7/20mm, which are equal or better in IQ (1.8/25mm, 1.4/25mm) and which have a fast AF, there isn't any point left to buy this lens, especially since the O 1.8/25mm is also pretty small and light.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

Agreed.

Wesley Byrne
Like?
In reply to yangz, 8 months ago

yangz wrote:

Just get Oly 17mm f1.8. Sacrificing smaller size and some image quality but gain pretty quick autofocus.

The 17mm f1.8 is very good. I recently sold my 17mm and 25mm to finance some new equipment thinking I would replace them both with the compact 20mm f1.7, but I am regretting selling the 17mm now. Live and learn, I suppose.

woof woof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,464
Like?

Wesley Byrne wrote:

I know the 20mm f1.7 has many fans, presumably folks who photograph static scenes. In my opinion, compared to the 17mm f1.8 and the 25mm f1.8, the 20mm f1.7 is a dog. Panasonic should be embarrassed for releasing this lens with barely-functional AF.

</end rant>

Golly.

I've had a 20mm since the GF1 came out. I sold the original when a got a mkII in a kit and I have to say that I've never found it real world slow to the point of embarrassment.

jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,477Gear list
Like?

Wesley Byrne wrote:

UPS just delivered my Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II. I had read the reviews and knew the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 autofocus wasn't fast, but I wasn't expecting it to be so unbearably slow. Some here have said that the 20mm f1.7 isn't that slow, and that it autofocuses about as fast as other m43 lenses when large focus adjustments are not needed, but they are wrong. This lens is useless for even slow moving subjects. I am definitely returning this lens.

</end rant>

Exactly what information do you feel misled about?  Everything I've read about the 20/1.7 matches with my experience.  Small focus changes at non-near distances are plenty fast.

What camera are you using it with? - Perhaps that's part of the problem.  I've also found that if I am using pinpoint AF focus is slower.

I wouldn't over-react just yet.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +20 more
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 4,098Gear list
Like?

I think you guys are selling short this lens's IQ. The reason people buy fast lenses is so they can use them at faster apertures, but doing so is moot if the IQ is poor. While the 17 F1.8 isn't bad at the two widest apertures, it's not as sharp as the 20. The 20mm is indeed pretty slow comparatively, many people have mentioned this. I have gone on record on DPR saying it won't track, it literally cancels out the "C-AF" option in my menus, it won't track.

Hasn't been an issue yet though. I have many shots  that turned out great with my 20. I bought the first version used for $275, while the 17mm F1.8 is around $400 used ($500 new). The 25mm F1.8 is $400 new and can't be found used really. Im sorry to hear about our disappointment but the info on the 20 has been out there for a long time, still doesn't prevent many people from taking great shots with it. It's small, it's cheap, and it has great IQ.

Incidentally, i have heard it focuses slower on some Olympus bodies, not sure what the OP has. I have a GX7 and it's not slow-motion slow, but is noticeably slower than my others and won't track. Perhaps the Oly issue could be the problem here?

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,538Gear list
Like?

Well...you were only misled because you listened to the wrong people.

Sorry it turned out that way.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178
Like?

Wesley Byrne wrote:

</end rant>

Yes it is slow, who has told you otherwise.

Steve_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,103Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paulmorgan, 8 months ago

Yes it is slow, who has told you otherwise.

The collective weight of forum users ranging from the non-critical to the apologists. If you search regarding the AF performance of the 20/1.7 you'll find they are legion.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637Gear list
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 8 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thomas

I'm still planning on getting one. I have the 25mm f1.4 atm but often find the focal range a bit short and don't want the larger or slower 35mm offerings due to their size or speed.

flacko_man
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?

I just did an unscientific test of focusing on the cr@p around my desk in 7:25 morning light and the 20 1.7 seemed to focus as fast as my 45 1.8.

flacko_man's gear list:flacko_man's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
flacko_man
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
In reply to flacko_man, 8 months ago

...sorry meant to say that was the first version of the 20.

flacko_man's gear list:flacko_man's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,477Gear list
Like?
In reply to flacko_man, 8 months ago

flacko_man wrote:

I just did an unscientific test of focusing on the cr@p around my desk in 7:25 morning light and the 20 1.7 seemed to focus as fast as my 45 1.8.

Try the same thing going from very far to something close and see if they are still equal.  My experience has been that the 20/1.7 gets slow in this situation where other lenses are much faster.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +20 more
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,066Gear list
Like?

Wesley Byrne wrote:

</end rant>

Slow AF on the 20/1.7? Absolutely. Except if you use it in ordinary AF-S in the range from 0.75 m to infinity and manage not to send it hunting. Fortunately, that exception accounts for more than 99 percent of my usage.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
comptr_
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?

so true about the 20mm lens I bought one and I tried to only use that lens at a family event where there were more then enough cameras around so I wanted to give the lens a try I did have to delete a few shots as the AF was slow and lost those pics but if you get used to it having slow autofocus and can work around it should be ok.

comptr_'s gear list:comptr_'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +4 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,824Gear list
Like?

Wesley Byrne wrote:

UPS just delivered my Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II. I had read the reviews and knew the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 autofocus wasn't fast, but I wasn't expecting it to be so unbearably slow.

You must be using an Olympus body. While the 20mm isn't a speed demon in terms of focus speed, it's not that bad. Like pretty much any AF lens it can hunt a bit in low light.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads