Process my RAW!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198
Like?
Process my RAW!
8 months ago

I recently got this pic of a very close lightning bolt in front of my apartment. Thinking of printing it big, but I can't seem to get a quality file out of Lightroom, which is the only RAW developer I have.

Can anyone with a superior RAW developer take a shot at this? Thanks, it would also help me decide which program to buy.

Link to RAW: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5JGrbRCHp5KY25WcjY4dnpidlU/edit?usp=sharing

DaveHutch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,909Gear list
Like?
Re: Process my RAW!
In reply to hellocrowley, 8 months ago

What are you looking for in terms of "quality" exactly?

Also, how do we get hold of the RAW file?

-- hide signature --

I can only help one person each day...
...and today is not your day!
(tomorrow doesn't look good either!)

DaveHutch's gear list:DaveHutch's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

Fantastic capture. Of course the sharpness starts with the quality of the capture but I would give a Photo Ninja a try. The two week trial lets you save results, no watermark. Here's a secret, if you have the trial code it will expire in 2 weeks but if you do not close the program (or your computer) it will keep letting you save your work thus extending the trial.  But without a trial license you can still play with the program but you cannot save your work. I did that few two weeks before getting a trial license giving me more time to understand the nuances.

PN also plays well with adobe and lightroom as they have free plugins to play nicely with both to make the work flow remain smooth.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198
Like?
In reply to DaveHutch, 8 months ago

DaveHutch wrote:

What are you looking for in terms of "quality" exactly?

Also, how do we get hold of the RAW file?

Sorry I knew I missed something, edited the post with the link. I'm trying to get more sharpness without the usual sharpening artifacts and less smearing. Also Lightroom renders posterisation in the gradient of the sky.

Thanks Al Valentino, I'll give PN a try. I'm quite clueless at post processing so I'd like see someone skillful show me what could be done to this file.

Al Valentino
Like?
Photo Ninja

Below is the shot with Photo Ninja, close to the default. Note that it does not have spot removal or built-in lens corrections. I could have fixed both, adjusting distortion in PN and spots in Photoshop, but wanted to show the conversion. I did not obsess over getting it perfect. Sharpening was the default settings

Photo Ninja

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
KariP
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,557Gear list
Like?
Re: Process my RAW! - i tried Aperture

I think the original  file is good enough for quite big prints !

This is my way to use your nice file - just 50%

Just some highlight saving , some contrast, modest edge sharpening ... etc

It can look great in a 1mx1,5m size

-- hide signature --

Kari
SLR photography started in 1968, Canon DSLR cameras, lenses and now also a Fuji X-E1
60.21 N 24.86 E

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Al Valentino
Like?
Distortion Correction
In reply to KariP, 8 months ago

Just a quick but important note about distortion correction. The adobe versions above have it applied, the Photo Ninja version does not (I could have done it manually).

Applying the lens profile essentially stretches the image back to compensate for the distortion, in this case barrel distortion at 18mm. Once the image is stretched it is then cropped to be rectangular.

So the difference above is that my PN version has a curved horizon, a result of the lens, but is not stretched (always bad for corner sharpness) and cropped. The result is my conversion includes the large vertical lightening bolt on the right!!! Adobe crops it out

-- hide signature --

57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,695Gear list
Like?

LR5.4, made a hash of one of the spots :/

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Sebastien Guyader
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
with Dcraw / Photivo

Trying to respect most of the color tone from your own version:

- dcraw 9.20 to convert the RAF file to 16-bit TIFF

- Photivo to process the Tiff file (sligthly tuning for color tone, brightness, chromatic aberration, lens distorsion, local contrast, sharpening)

dcraw + Photivo

Sebastien Guyader's gear list:Sebastien Guyader's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Gimp +2 more
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,717Gear list
Like?

best viewed full screen

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Tack007
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Re: Process my RAW! Apple Aperture

Processed in Aperture, removed distorsion in PS, removed spots in aperture and applied colors good to my eye, but really it is subjective to me

Tack007
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Re: Process my RAW! Apple Aperture
In reply to Tack007, 8 months ago

Printed A3+ and it looks good to me

Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,246
Like?

The camera JPG is pretty good. If you want to sharpen for a print, you can apply enough just to start making halos on the monitor; the print will come out great.

This shot will benefit from sharpening by area -- more on the buildings, very little needed on the lightning.

For the raw, I would begin with Fuji Raw File Converter. Start from "Super Neutral," reduce exposure while watching the histogram at the highlight end. Export a TIFF file. My post processing program is Picture Window Pro. It has excellent sharpening tools, and you can get the sky color you want with its Color Correction tool.

Gloomy1
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
ACR despite the "popular" opinion that it is poor with X series.
In reply to Tack007, 8 months ago

Tried to remove the chromatic aberation at the corners and sharpened the file a lot, but with the sky masked and noise reduction in the sky. Trying to darken the sky produces lots of banding so I found it difficult to remove the flare caused by bright lightning flash. I will try Capture 1 later to see if it is any better.

Ken

Just a Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,134Gear list
Like?
Hope you'll like it.

Done in Capture One Pro 7

PS. there is some serious dust on the left side of your sensor. Two large spots, which needs to be wet cleaned.  I'll cleaned it of on the picture, but it was pretty visible.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
KVI08106
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?

Two Caveats: One, I really have no idea how to process raw. I'm totally new at it. Two, I'm limited with the Silkypix EX that came with the camera.

Here's my attempt anyway

Astia film mode gave it the cyan blue accent around the main flash.

KVI08106's gear list:KVI08106's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +2 more
Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,109Gear list
Like?
Quick Edit

ACR 8.4, PS CC, NIK Suite

I did correct for perspective distortion, and nuke most of the dust bunnies

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
Joe Brush
Contributing MemberPosts: 920
Like?
Oloneo PhotoEngine...

This is a great thread! I'm enjoying seeing all the different versions.

Here's a quick attempt using Oloneo PhotoEngine. Exported as jpeg then some spots removed in Picasa.

Regards,  Joe.

alextardif
Regular MemberPosts: 288Gear list
Like?

I seem to be struggling with LR5 as well.  Here's what I came up with... I feel like something's off but I can't quite put my finger on it?  Is it that watercolor effect that everyone else is bitching about maybe?  Hm...

Alex

alextardif's gear list:alextardif's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a77 II Sony Alpha 7 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +7 more
b0k3h
Regular MemberPosts: 222
Like?
In reply to alextardif, 8 months ago

you shall not snap!

alextardif wrote:

I seem to be struggling with LR5 as well. Here's what I came up with... I feel like something's off but I can't quite put my finger on it? Is it that watercolor effect that everyone else is bitching about maybe? Hm...

Alex

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads