How many spare batteries do you need?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
mep
mep
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
How many spare batteries do you need?
8 months ago

I am wondering how many batteries do you need for a camera.  I have a EM10 and a PL5 which both use the same battery.  I ordered two spare batteries (one for each camera) but in a fluke the company doubled my order and is sending me 4 batteries.  I am trying to decide whether to go ahead and pay for the extra two, so that I would have two spares for each camera or to return the second set.

What would you do?

-- hide signature --

mpalis

Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michael M Fliegel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,896Gear list
Like?
Re: How many spare batteries do you need?
In reply to mep, 8 months ago

I just purchased 2 to go along with the one that came with my EM1.  Should be more than enough.  Always carry a spare and extra memory.  You never know....................

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?

2 at the least, 3 or more if you plant to use the camera for a few years after it's discontinued (and it's made by a company that likes to have one battery type per camera model, like Panasonic).

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 4,013Gear list
Like?

I have 5 total. I may not use more than 1 or 2 in cycles at most times, but i would rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them. I may buy two more eventually as well, third party units for my GX7 are only $10 each and they are close to as good as OEM.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
maremarmar
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
One battery for one intense day of shooting (n/t)
No text.
 maremarmar's gear list:maremarmar's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,605Gear list
Like?

I'm a very conservative, methodical shooter, and in landscape photography I generally don't get my camera out at all if I don't like the light (which happens most of the day). I moved up from two batteries total to three on my GH2 when I was prepping for backpacking--any other time I'm close enough to electricity that I can do just fine with two. I generally don't drain a battery in a day.

Two spare batteries is enough for me. For a day's shooting, I only really need one spare. I label my batteries with a number and a date of first charge, so that if one becomes a problem it's easy to identify, and so I can rotate them equally.

I lost the first spare for my GH2 on top of a mountain three years ago. I found it again a couple weeks ago. In the intervening time it's been rained on, snowed on, had snow melt over it, frozen, had the summer sun beating down on it. And somewhat shockingly, the thing still works... the charger accepts it and gives it a charge, and stops the charge hours later with no error. It wasn't recognized by the camera at first (some sort of internal short relating to the chip, maybe-- I cleaned the contacts with alcohol and sprayed into them with contact cleaner). But a couple weeks later, the camera actually powers on with it installed. So I might actually have four batteries for that camera.... I really need a battery case.

For my new Sony a3000 (which I'm using strictly paired with a Speedbooster for manual lenses), the nice thing about that camera (probably the only nice thing about it other than its image quality) is that it can charge over Micro USB, so it's easy to keep the battery topped up when driving from location to location. Reduces the need for spares somewhat. Every modern technological device should have that capability.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
A3000 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +4 more
dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,528Gear list
Like?
One

My camera gets really good life from its batteries, so I only need one. One spare, that is. Two total.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,332Gear list
Like?
Without info on your shooting situations,

Without info on your shooting situations, how can we help you? For example, do you any extended video? Do you shoot in winter/freezing conditions? Do you go hiking or camping with limited opportunities to charge? What is the cost of the extra two batteries?

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +4 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,817Gear list
Like?

On a week long backpacking trip I carried four, and was on the last one by day seven. (E-M5)

Cheers

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,563Gear list
Like?
Two per camera is my standard.

I often don't need more than one battery, but it depends on what I start with (not always topped off), and what type of shooting I'm doing.    I usually have access to a charger at the end of a day or night, however.   If traveling w/o reliable access, I'd be more circumspect in my usage, and would carry more batteries.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,083Gear list
Like?

For me 2 batteries suffice: - one in camera, another in pocket.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
Two spares is plenty, IMHO

Unless you're going to be on a trip without the ability to charge any of them, two spares is more than enough.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?

I have three batteries to my E-M5. One original, two "pirate" that I bought with a charger that can charge also the original battery. When I'm out photographing I use to have one spare battery in my pocket. So far this has been enough. But I never shoot video and very seldom bursts. And I use to set the camera to off between the shooting occasions. If it's very could I may have all batteries with me, keeping the spares as warm as possible. A could empty battery can sometimes recover after being treated with some human warmth I have noticed.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
bahamot
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?

So far the most I need is 2, but if I'm going for travel I might buy the 3rd one.

-- hide signature --
 bahamot's gear list:bahamot's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +10 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,410Gear list
Like?

I usually have the original manufacturer battery and two aftermarket spares.  I don't think I have ever used up all three in a normal day shooting, but I have had a couple of times where I have left one in the charger at home, and have needed a second battery (which was in the bag), or left the house with only a partially charged one in the camera that ran out right away, and then fully used the second (and started the third).

Since the aftermarket ones are so cheap now, having the extra two gives me peace of mind.

I think if I had the GH3 or GH4, I would be fine with one extra, since the shot capacity of those batteries is so much higher than the other M43s, but for everything else, 2 extra is the way to go.

-J

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637Gear list
Like?

I have a GH3 (AFAIK best battery life m43 camera) and currently have 3 spares, although only 2 with me atm. I definitely never need them all in one day but I do multi day hikes and also means I can go on a short holiday with one less charger.

offtheback
Regular MemberPosts: 468Gear list
Like?

For instance,if you go through 1 battery a day using only 1 camera,I think 2 spares should be good and very conservative.1 as backup if weather,shooting ops,extensive review of photos occurs and 1 to backup the spare if you forgot to charge it or if it fails due to sudden battery death syndrome.YMMV

Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,429Gear list
Like?
Re: Two spares, total of three per camera.

I have never gone beyond three, but I have gone through two and half.  Still getting a handle on how well the 3rd party eBay batteries work on my GX7, but my sense is well enough.  I always keep the Panny battery as the last one to use because it gives an accurate bar read out.  The third party batteries seem to go from 2 bars to 1 bar to zero very quickly.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,783
Like?

I have two sets of two batteries for my E-5 with grip.

One set gets me through the most intense of shooting days.

For my E-M5 (with which I travel more) I have found that one extra battery does not give me a comfortable feeling.  It happens regularly that I have to switch in the middle of the day, so that second battery is running on fumes by the end of the day.  I like to have more power ready then, especially since I am not always certain that I can charge all batteries overnight.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,239Gear list
Like?

It really depends on how much you shoot, whether your camera is on/asleep between shots, whether you use EVF's or the back LCD, etc. Also, whether you will be able to recharge your batteries at night.

In general, I tend to need 1 battery for light shooting, 2 batteries for more heavy shooting, and I have needed 3 or 4 batteries when I'm shooting continuously for 8-10 hours at renaissance faires or when I'm using my steampunk cameras all day with the LCD on.

I don't have much experience with the E-M5 or Stylus1 for long term shooting. With the E-PM2/E-P2, it tends to be 2 batteries, except when I used the VF-2 in the past (the VF-2 is more power hungry than using the LCD). I do tend to only use batteries with the cells made in Japan (as opposed to China), even if the final assembly is in China. I like the bluenook.com wasabi BLS-5/BLM-5 knock off batteries, but I dislike their charger for the BLS batteries.

The other thing about multiple batteries, is if you are on a long trip, you can be charging some batteries in the hotel during the day, and using the other spares.  Then when you get to the hotel at night, you just change the batteries (this assumes you have multiple chargers).

I did notice the following charger on ebay that charges 2 BLS batteries at the same time, but I haven't bought it yet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350575977910?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads