Started 8 months ago | Discussions
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,253Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 how bad is the focus system?
In reply to Itamath, 8 months ago

Itamath wrote:

Hi all,

Sold my DSLR and looking for a compact mirrorless camera. I really like the colors and the image quality of Fuji X cameras and I can get the X-E1 at a good price. I read that there is a slow focus and I wonder how bad is it? I want to buy a 27mm f2.8 or 35mm 1.4 I might use zoom kit lens from time to time. thanks, Yuval

Is "Bad" bad or is "Bad" good.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gloomy1
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 8 months ago

Hi Ryan

The focus system is good enough for me. 99% of my shots are sharp but I started photography with a Zenit B no exposure meter no autofocus no auto stop down. On the occasions that I don't get focus I shift so that an edge is located by the focus point half press shutter, hold, recompose and shoot, takes way less than a second. The attached file was shot with 18-55 and is a merged 5 shot sequence, hand held, all of the shots are pin sharp ISO 200 f8 (gives sufficient dof ) 1/850s. It would have been nice to have had continuous focus tracking I would have used f5 ish for shallower dof to make the jousters stand out from the background and give me a faster shutter speed, but the XE-1 doesn't have it at 6fps. This was shot in bright Mediterranean sunshine and may not have been so easy with a subject inside in dim light, the XE-1 is not a sports camera, but it can sometimes be used as one. This image is a crop as the 18-55 was the only lens I had on my cycling trip.

Good Luck Ken

awgk
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gloomy1, 8 months ago

I have the X-E1 from the beginning, focus is greatly improved with the firmware updates. For fast moving objects it does not track like the X-T1. It amazes me when so many people say you can not use it for sports or action photos.  What about all those years without auto focus and all those action photos taken. Yes it is much easier now and I wish the X-E1 had focus tracking but it is a great camera with fantastic lenses. I will eventually update when Fuji brings out a newer sensor but am thrilled with the quality of the IQ. Had some photos in an exhibit recently and looking at the ones done with full frame they have no better IQ at the sizes we printed at (13x19).

awgk's gear list:awgk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
joseluisherranz
Contributing MemberPosts: 500Gear list
Like?

Itamath wrote:

Hi all,

Sold my DSLR and looking for a compact mirrorless camera. I really like the colors and the image quality of Fuji X cameras and I can get the X-E1 at a good price. I read that there is a slow focus and I wonder how bad is it? I want to buy a 27mm f2.8 or 35mm 1.4 I might use zoom kit lens from time to time. thanks, Yuval

See my post about first pics with x-E1.

I was in the same asking position as you some weeks ago.

My experience:

Marvelous camera for everything, street, portraits, landscape, architecture.....that doesn´t require fast autofocus or locking on moving objects.

For almost static things it´s perfect. For moving things it lags a lot and makes it nearly impossible to succeed. Any beginner basic DSLR is much, much faster.

With its limitations is worth it. Although in my case I use a second camera for fast street candids which is what I mostly do. Now a nikon d5100. In the future an Olympus E-m10 perhaps. Weight and size are really interesting in these mirrorless cameras.

But you can take very nice pictures. See http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53566794

joseluisherranz's gear list:joseluisherranz's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Pete Delaney
Senior MemberPosts: 1,363
Like?
The X-E1 isn't bad... it's horses for courses

Took this with the X-E1 and the 60mm macro. The focus system isn't bad... the X-E1 can take sublime pictures, but if you want to shoot fast sports then there are more suitable cameras like the X-T1 or DSLRs. The macro lens has a reputed slow AF, and yet I did get an in focus sharp shot - but the hit rate isn't going to be  as good as a more appropriate system.

Pete

http://www.surroundinglight.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29699385@N03/

Tunkel
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 8 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

Itamath wrote:

I have 2 kids they move fast sometimes..

Wait til they've stopped moving.

From experience - its not fast enough for kids.  Sent my X-E1 back because of this.  I'm much happier with the X-T1, but X-E2 may come close.

-- hide signature --

Jay

Tunkel's gear list:Tunkel's gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,727Gear list
Like?

I tend to take a lot of time composing the shot I want to take, so autofocus isn't much of an issue with me and my X-E1.

If high performance auto focus is important, look elsewhere. But if cash is a big issue, then give the X-E1 a try; buy the kit. Try and live life at a slower pace, and lead your photography in the same direction. If it doesn't work out, sell the body; keep the 18-55mm and use the profit to help fund an X-T1.

Between the 27mm and the 35mm, the 27mm is the better value in several respects.

Serge 07
Regular MemberPosts: 196Gear list
Like?
Not too bad..

I did not have any problems capturing this with the 27mm. I do quite a bit of street type photography and in good to decent lighting, the focus performance of the X-E1 had just been fine. It's not a DSLR but certainly capable once one gets comfortable using it.

Fuji X-E1, 27mm f/2.8

Serge 07's gear list:Serge 07's gear list
Nikon D40 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +3 more
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,921Gear list
Like?
Buy the XE1 NOW! It is at $699.
In reply to forpetessake, 8 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

It's not bad after the latest firmware update. The camera in most normal shooting conditions can lock focus quickly, though sometimes is does misfocus. I didn't have any difficulties focusing at night with only street lights available:

It won't track focus, but otherwise you can focus on moving objects as long as they don't move out of focus by the time camera snaps the picture:

-- hide signature --

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter -- Winston Churchill

Yes, I have taken pictures of my kids running like this as well.  Under (plenty) of light the XE1 is perfect, the challenge is in lower light.  But you should be fine and i am sure you will like it.  If not simple return it.  You have nothing to loose.  The price amazingly just dropped even more than last time.

Where the AF will have trouble and it will be hunting is under the scenario below in low light.  Do you see how low the light is in the background of this beauties?  That's where the XE1 AF will have a hard time locking on the subject.  My wife's phone locks AF, but not the XE1 so you better think if you are going to buy the XE1 as your main camera.  

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
XPro10
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?

Fast enough if you know what you are doing. Not fast enough if you expect your camera to do everything for you.

I did NOT send mine back after trying to shoot toddlers/kids, but I did learn how to use it.

Faster is always better, learning some skills is best.

DB3
DB3
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?

There's a lot of attention given to the speed of focus. I'm not sure that this is the main problem: I find that speed of focus on a still subject is reasonable (though I believe the camera sometimes tells you it has focused when it hasn't).

More significant, perhaps, is the time taken for the viewfinder to refresh. Once you've taken a picture, you've no idea what's happening for a second or three - and you can easily miss the perfect expression or exciting piece of the action.

The XE-1 is undoubtedly a nice piece of kit, and you can certainly get some nice pictures with it. However, unless you're photographing inanimate objects, I believe it can't compete with a DSLR camera on functionality.

Beat Traveller
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?

It's not completely awful. I've gotten some decent shots of moving animals at the zoo with AF-C and the 18-55mm.

Goes without saying though that you'll get the best results from an X-E2 or X-T1 though.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Paul JM
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dick Ginkowski, 8 months ago

Dick Ginkowski wrote:

My limited experience: slow at times and difficult to impossible in low light.

Then clearly your experience is limited and I am not sure why you would bother commenting. Just fills the forums with nonsense if someone feels the need to comment on the basis of 'limited experience'. Let someone answer who uses the camera regularly.

It works fine in low light. Set the camera to manual focus, and then use the rear button to prompt auto focus. You can then utilise peaking and onscreen magnification, and it works well. Struggles to some degree in very very low light, but then so does my 5D mk2, and my OM D

Paul JM's gear list:Paul JM's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 300D +17 more
Torgny Dellsen
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?

Do they still make the X-E1? Got the X-100s but need the zooming capabilities of the 18-55 kit lens

-- hide signature --
 Torgny Dellsen's gear list:Torgny Dellsen's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1
Rachmaninoff2
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
In reply to Torgny Dellsen, 8 months ago

Torgny Dellsen wrote:

Do they still make the X-E1? Got the X-100s but need the zooming capabilities of the 18-55 kit lens

-- hide signature --

Check out fujirumors.com. Adorama is selling the body alone for $499 and with the 18-55 for $699, plus extras. It's a steal. To put that in perspective, to get the same lens with the X-T1 you have to pay an additional $400, from $1299 to $1699. It's really an awesome deal. And next year you can buy the X-T1 for cheaper and use the X-E1 as a backup.

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,727Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rachmaninoff2, 8 months ago

Rachmaninoff2 wrote:

Torgny Dellsen wrote:

-- hide signature --

Check out fujirumors.com. Adorama is selling the body alone for $499 and with the 18-55 for $699, plus extras. It's a steal. To put that in perspective, to get the same lens with the X-T1 you have to pay an additional $400, from $1299 to $1699. It's really an awesome deal. And next year you can buy the X-T1 for cheaper and use the X-E1 as a backup.

In other words, you're saying if you buy the 18-55mm for the retail price, Fuji will give you a free new camera body that cost $999 by itself last year at this time, and that actually functions better now than it did back then, thanks to the firmware updates that have been issued.

A steal? Or insane? I'll leave that for others to decide. But it sure does seem like a bargain for the Customer who picks up on the deal.

StuartBell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,772
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 7 months ago

In the UK, the X-E1 kit is £600 including £100 tax, but there's a 'free XC telezoom offer at the moment; another insane deal!

stuart

dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,218
Like?
Re: same as asking somebody how ugly is your wife and how stupid are your children
In reply to Itamath, 7 months ago

Itamath wrote:

Hi all,

So, you assume the AF is bad and you want us to say, it is not that bad.

joseluisherranz
Contributing MemberPosts: 500Gear list
Like?
Re: same as asking somebody how ugly is your wife and how stupid are your children
In reply to dennis tennis, 7 months ago

No. He wants to know how bad (or not) is it.

Easy. For someone´s type of shooting it may be more tham adecuate. For others not so much.

I asked the same question weeks ago and ended buying an E-X1.

And no one cared about my wife or children.

They helped a lot then sharing their experience.

It shouldn´t be so difficult to express opinions.

When I find a question is not interesting for me, or may be even stupid, I don´t waste time answering bashing the poster.

Live and let live.

(Well with this philosophy I shouldn´t have answered either !!!!!!!!!!!)

joseluisherranz's gear list:joseluisherranz's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads