X-E1 how bad is the focus system?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Itamath
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
X-E1 how bad is the focus system?
9 months ago

Hi all,

Sold my DSLR and looking for a compact mirrorless camera. I really like the colors and the image quality of Fuji X cameras and I can get the X-E1 at a good price. I read that there is a slow focus and I wonder how bad is it? I want to buy a 27mm f2.8 or 35mm 1.4 I might use zoom kit lens from time to time. thanks, Yuval

Itamath's gear list:Itamath's gear list
Sony a6000 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,747Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 how bad is the focus system?
In reply to Itamath, 9 months ago

For fast movement the AF isn't that good. For everything else it is. A common workaround is the focus just ahead of where the action will be and wait for the subject to get there. I used that technique to capture one of our pups lure coursing in this photo with the XF 55-200 lens:

I thought it focused quickly on the grass ahead of the dog so I was able to get those shots. Of course there were many shots from that day that I threw out, but the thing is I don't need 50 photos of the dog doing the same thing, just a couple of keepers which I got.

If you need a fast focusing and tracking camera the XE1 is not it. But for everything else its great and a real bargain.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,390Gear list
Like?

The camera is useless for moving subjects but great for stills. Focus speed is often about the lens as some focus faster than others. The 35mm is one of the slower ones, the 14mm is one of the fastest and the 18-55 zoom is in between but just fine. If you shoot still subjects and take the time to master the 'little things' and of course upgrade the firmware for the camera and lenses, they you should be very pleased. I am 

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Itamath
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 9 months ago

I need it for all around. I dont shoot sports or birds or anything.. street photography, traveling and family.. I have 2 kids they move fast sometimes..

Sony a6000 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785Gear list
Like?

Itamath wrote:

I have 2 kids they move fast sometimes..

Wait til they've stopped moving.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Itamath
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 9 months ago

I was waiting more than 7 years by now.. still waiting

MrChristopher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035Gear list
Like?

No one in the history of civilization ever bought an X-E1 for it's AF performance.  That said I love mine but it hunts now and then and is not ideal for moving objects.  If speed is an issue you'll want to look more closely at the X-T1 or X-E2.

And keep in mind the 18-55 is not a constant f/2.8, so the more you zoom the smaller the aperture, the slower the focus.

I'm delighted with mine but I don't have fast AF requirements and the occasional hunting in poor light doesn't cause me much grief.

-- hide signature --
 MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
chuck12
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?

Itamath wrote:

Hi all,

Sold my DSLR and looking for a compact mirrorless camera. I really like the colors and the image quality of Fuji X cameras and I can get the X-E1 at a good price. I read that there is a slow focus and I wonder how bad is it? I want to buy a 27mm f2.8 or 35mm 1.4 I might use zoom kit lens from time to time. thanks, Yuval

AF is very poor compared to m43 system; but one must question if you need AF.

In daylight outside AF is fine for most things, for moving kids not so much, for indoors in low light even less so. But it can be done and you will get used to it. For a lot of people the results outweigh the drawbacks, likewise the size outweighs the benefits of a DSLR which is infinitely better in all areas.

I have the X-E2 it's a dog for focusing but still better than m43 / noise or DSLR / bulk for me.

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,615Gear list
Like?

Why did you sell you DSLR? Seems you still need it.

The only mirror less that tracks action is the Sony A6000.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +15 more
Dabbler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,473Gear list
Like?

In my experience the only camera that will keep up with kids is (besides the monster D4)  a Nikon 1 Vx series. Their focusing is the fastest I've seen, although they aren't great in low light due to the slow lens speeds (typically f3.5+).

But the X series are great cameras. Like any craftsman you need to master  your tools and use them properly. In some cases you can get overcome focusing issues by using zone focusing, pre-focusing etc. If you want a good X action camera the XT1 is the one to get. I own the XE1 and XT1. I keep the 35mm on the XE1 and swap the 18-55mm and 55-200mm on the XT1. If I'm going to be doing a lot of focus tracking I'll lug my D800 and pro lenses with me. But I pay a price in wear and tear by the end of the day

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,284Gear list
Like?

Al Valentino wrote:

The camera is useless for moving subjects but great for stills. Focus speed is often about the lens as some focus faster than others. The 35mm is one of the slower ones, the 14mm is one of the fastest and the 18-55 zoom is in between but just fine. If you shoot still subjects and take the time to master the 'little things' and of course upgrade the firmware for the camera and lenses, they you should be very pleased. I am

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

I shot a marathon with it - several hours of shooting - and had no focus problems, issues or challenges at all. To say it is useless for moving subjects is as wrong as it is silly.

Sal

Dick Ginkowski
Senior MemberPosts: 1,887Gear list
Like?

My limited experience: slow at times and difficult to impossible in low light.

Dick Ginkowski's gear list:Dick Ginkowski's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 +20 more
DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sal18, 9 months ago

Sal18 wrote:

hot a marathon with it - several hours of shooting - and had no focus problems, issues or challenges at all. To say it is useless for moving subjects is as wrong as it is silly.

Sal

Easy to shoot race and marathon than you think because the moving object is usually in a same plane.  So you just focus one, then change to MF then shoot all you want.

Shooting an object coming toward you is a different story.

Catching random action in a crowd is another story.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,740
Like?

They all snap focus on the X-E1, except the 60mm.

As for moving objects... I once tried to snap a celebrity walking quickly pass me with the 18-55. I didn't have time to switch to C or start a focus tracking. S focus got a lock but not quick enough to fire and freeze it.

In video mode the C focus is not very active either. I end up using MF.

MrChristopher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035Gear list
Like?
In reply to DVT80111, 9 months ago

The lens used will have an effect as well. The 56 will likely run circles around some of the zooms
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
DJF77
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, 9 months ago

The Sony a6000 is not as good as the XT1 at tracking a subject according to these guys, neither is the Olympus  omd em1. I still think mirrorless is a year or two away from  the likes of  the 7D for Subject tracking, BUT we will be there soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwTmGTuwlQ

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,914
Like?

It's not bad after the latest firmware update. The camera in most normal shooting conditions can lock focus quickly, though sometimes is does misfocus. I didn't have any difficulties focusing at night with only street lights available:

It won't track focus, but otherwise you can focus on moving objects as long as they don't move out of focus by the time camera snaps the picture:

-- hide signature --

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter -- Winston Churchill

fuji P
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 9 months ago

Hahahahahahahaha - love it!

fuji P's gear list:fuji P's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Itamath
Like?
Re:what about street photography? will it focus?
No text.
darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,747Gear list
Like?
Re:what about street photography? will it focus?

Itamath wrote:

Yes.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads