Thinking about jumping ship due to poor AF. Any help?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
GabrielFFontes
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Thinking about jumping ship due to poor AF. Any help?
8 months ago

Hey guys!

I'm a brazilian Pentaxian, and i have a Pentax K-30 and 9 lenses.

I've been thinking about jumping ship to Canon/Nikon/Sony or even mirrorless (Olympus) because i've been facing problems with AF. I feel it's simply too slow and inconsistent (as in i spend hours doing af fine adjust, but sometimes it will simply, randomly focus incorrectly).

Do you guys think i would see improvement switching to a Nikon D7000?

What about a Canon? 60d, 7d? (but i guess i would lose in image quality)

Any help? It would be tough to get a K-3 here because it's not so easy to get Pentax items here, and by jumping ship i would be able to sell all my lenses and invest in the camera and new equipment...getting a K-3, i wouldn't want to sell lenses.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PENTAX FANATIC
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking about jumping ship due to poor AF. Any help?
In reply to GabrielFFontes, 8 months ago

gabriel, I would suggest you keep your Pentax system and get K3 body.working wiyh 2 bodies and different lenses is much quicker.

You are having the world cup soon, maybe someone can bring one in for you:-D

PENTAX FANATIC's gear list:PENTAX FANATIC's gear list
Pentax K-3 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tom1234567
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
In reply to PENTAX FANATIC, 8 months ago

get K3 body

Tom G

-- hide signature --

N.S.A. and G.C.H.Q. The only government goons that "LISTEN"?????
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body

tom1234567's gear list:tom1234567's gear list
Pentax K-3
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,171Gear list
Like?

I don't know about poor AF - but Pentax body hard to come by might be a reason to jump.  Does that translate into hard to get service for Pentax?  (and are the others much better)

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
GabrielFFontes
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, 8 months ago

Let's say that there is no way of getting Pentax service here...buy and pray.

Well, the others are much bigger here, i would say Canon is the best, but Nikon has been growing a lot.

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,821Gear list
Like?

GabrielFFontes wrote:

Hey guys!

I've been thinking about jumping ship to Canon/Nikon/Sony or even mirrorless (Olympus) because i've been facing problems with AF. I feel it's simply too slow and inconsistent (as in i spend hours doing af fine adjust, but sometimes it will simply, randomly focus incorrectly).

You would have to give us examples of where the k30 has 'random' focused.

It may be a faulty camera, how your approaching the shot or the camera is not up to how you need it to operate.

Normally it's because the photographer has not understood the cameras fuzzy algorithm deciding whats appropriate to focus on.

If this is you problem then irrelevant of brand you will see the same issue.

We had a chap a few years ago 'Barry Fitzgerald' who had the same problem as you blamed pentax (even started an anti pentax vendetta) and bought 2 Nikon d90's

2 months later he was having the same issue with the d90's and was no ...... Blaming Nikon

Of cause your problem could be the equipment but without examples it not possible to hazard a guess.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Historicity
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?

GabrielFFontes wrote:

Hey guys!

Any help? It would be tough to get a K-3 here because it's not so easy to get Pentax items here, and by jumping ship i would be able to sell all my lenses and invest in the camera and new equipment...getting a K-3, i wouldn't want to sell lenses.

Thanks!

My first thought was as others have mentioned, that you have either a bad copy of the K-30 or some accident of setting is causing the problem. I've never used the K-30, but I have used the K-20d, K-7, K-5 and K-5iis. I have the occasionally misfocused shot showing up during edit, but have always been convinced it was caused by something I did wrong.

My nephew prefers Nikon and has a D7100. That one as I've read is in the same ball-park as the K-3 with the K-3 edging it out in most categories. My K-5iis is supposedly in the same class as the D7000. You could probably get a K5iis or the K5ii for a very good price and then keep your Pentax lenses.

One big advantage of the K-5iis & K-3 over the D7000 and D7100 is weight.  The latter two when combined with the zooms Nikon people like to use are much heavier. You didn't say what lenses you have but the K-5iis or K-3 combined with some good primes -- or even some good zooms -- will be much lighter than anything you are likely to combine with a D-7000 or D7100 and do a spectacular job for you.

On the other hand I recently bought a gift for my nephew, the Nikkor 50mm 1.4; which I researched at some length. If I had a D7000 or D7100 that is a lens I would buy, but my nephew prefers zooms and the 18-300 he uses is humongous.

If you do studio work or set up some place with a tripod then perhaps you won't care about weight, but if you carry your camera around all day then you will probably appreciate a later offering by Pentax. My nephew for example travels to Europe frequently and admits that his camera is heavy. He went on a hike with me recently and I noticed he wasn't taking any gear or water -- just his heavy camera & zoom. I made him take some water anyway.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 +43 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,718Gear list
Like?

Switch to center point focus and report back.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
GabrielFFontes
Like?
In reply to ozdean, 8 months ago

I am using center point focus, for sure.

smafdy
Regular MemberPosts: 494Gear list
Like?

I started with a Pentax ME Super, in the '70s. Started shooting professionally with Nikon and Mamiya MF film cameras. Made the switch to digital with a Nikon P&S, but chose Oly 4/3s as my primary digital system when they launched the e-1. (I also did a brief stint with a Canon D30(?), at work, but could never get used to the feel).

I came to Pentax recently (when the price of a k-01, k-5, and k-30 became unavoidably good values as world-class image capturing devices). I also purchased the kit 40mm pancake (sweet little lens), 77mm and 50-135mm lenses. The 77 is world class. The 50-135 is pretty good. AF is okay, but not stellar.

I have since purchased a bunch of MF legacy glass, with which I get surprisingly good results on the k-01 (probably would on the k-30, too, but I've never tried it w/manual lenses).

All of that said, the Pentax system requires more thought, and more skill as a photographer than the other systems. The options and implementations — especially when using legacy glass — are fairly deep.

So far, all I can say is that when Pentaxes are good, they are very good. When they're not so good, it's usually something I could have done differently. I find myself having to pay more attention to critical focus than with my other systems.

I'm going to hang in there for at least another body cycle to see where this brand is going.

Britney Elvis
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,754
Like?
Nobody asked you what lenses you have

GabrielFFontes wrote:

Hey guys!

Thanks!

Before I would say stay or switch... it would help to know what lenses you have? If you have some of the very best lenses, then I would recommend an upgrade on the body to a K5lls or a K3...

If you have lower/mid level lenses I would say that switching would be easier. The 7100 would be better than the D7000...

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

Younes B
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Re: Nobody asked you what lenses you have
In reply to Britney Elvis, 8 months ago

Don't forget the D7000 and D7100 series have 'only' 3. x  fps.

vs more than 6 fps for the K5, K3.

Food for thought if you are shooting sports........

Younes B's gear list:Younes B's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +6 more
Kaso
Contributing MemberPosts: 829
Like?

GabrielFFontes wrote:

As you're bringing up your consideration in a Pentax forum, I won't suggest openly to you to switch to Canon or Nikon. After all, it's your time and money -- in the end, the only things that matter are the photographs that YOU cherish for a long time. Get the image-creating tools with which YOU feel most comfortable and productive. Availability of local support is important, too.

On the other hand, I cannot relate to your cautious statement in parentheses above. As I've been using a K-5 IIs along with a 7D and 70D (being two Canon APS-C cameras in my toolbox), I will not say that you would suffer a decline in IQ when switching from a K-30 to a 7D or 70D.

Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,223Gear list
Like?
Why did you start with Pentax anyway?

I am confused: if there is no brand presence, no shops or service centres, and purchasing anything branded Pentax is an Indiana Jones style adventure, why did you start with it in the first place?

If it comforts you, there is no yellow brick road to anything worth mentioning in the world of photography if there is no little pain along the way. That stimulates learning. Even if you start buying all the equipment that sells right below your room's window, it won't matter much.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Mike Hiran
Contributing MemberPosts: 892Gear list
Like?

GabrielFFontes wrote:

Is that the only focus method you use?  Do you focus and recompose then?  It's worth pointing out that the focus area for center point focus is a LOT bigger than the focus point (the red dot) in the viewfinder.  Really, you should post some photos of some shots that illustrate your issues so we can properly help you.  Please mention the lenses you might have too - perhaps this may help some of us decipher your issues.

By the way, I have a k30 and for the most part it has been pretty good.  I typically use spot select focus and it works well with most lenses until light levels get very low or if I try to focus on areas with low contrast (like a smooth wall or overcast sky) it also will have some problems.

Mike Hiran's gear list:Mike Hiran's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +19 more
timo
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,508
Like?

Gabriel, your description of the problem is too vague to be meaningful. There could be many possible explanations unconnected with the system you are using. You need to show some specific examples, with the settings you used.
--
tim
www.pbase.com/timotheus

Britney Elvis
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,754
Like?
In reply to Mike Hiran, 8 months ago

Mike Hiran wrote:

GabrielFFontes wrote:

Is that the only focus method you use? Do you focus and recompose then? It's worth pointing out that the focus area for center point focus is a LOT bigger than the focus point (the red dot) in the viewfinder. Really, you should post some photos of some shots that illustrate your issues so we can properly help you. Please mention the lenses you might have too - perhaps this may help some of us decipher your issues.

By the way, I have a k30 and for the most part it has been pretty good. I typically use spot select focus and it works well with most lenses until light levels get very low or if I try to focus on areas with low contrast (like a smooth wall or overcast sky) it also will have some problems.

"I have a k30 and for the most part it has been pretty good"

Well that just about sums up Pentax DSLR AF for the 13 years I have owned them... I have heard the K5ll and the K-3 have greatly improved the focus...

But pretty good is about as good I ever got with AF accuracy.
Still enjoying the Kx and K-01 - especially the K-01 but it does not focus fast...
Should also mention that I gave my K100d to a friend to get him back into photography (old film shooter) He used the AF for about a week... he has gone to complete MF now, says at least when he gets it wrong it is on him and not some hocus pocus... 8^)

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

ImageAmateur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,908
Like?
Re: Thinking about jumping ship due to poor AF. Not D7000

Whatever you do, NOT the D7000. AF issues with that are infamous.

The D7100 AF is reportedly much better and works well for a friend of mine.

But, IF you do switch, the Canon 70D seems a really nice camera.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,193Gear list
Like?

Hey guys!

Thanks!

I had inconsistent focus accuracy with my K5 and to a lesser extent my K30. But those concerns vanished after I sold those two and bought a K5IIs. Every lens was accurately focused.

In the end it depends what sort of photography you do. I still have my K5IIs and love it. But but with recent health issues I decided to try Fuji for the lighter weight and IQ. The lenses are just superb, and one bonus is that AF is absolutely accurate due to the focus sensors being placed on the sensor itself. So with Fuji you wave goodbye to AF adjustment. You also wave goodbye to CA, distortion, soft corners at the same time, but that's another story.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich S (britcam)

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +8 more
GabrielFFontes
Like?
Re: Why did you start with Pentax anyway?
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 8 months ago

It was, for me, the best camera for the price (K-r).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads