SL1 vs EOS M for my daughter

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
GadgetNeil
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
SL1 vs EOS M for my daughter
5 months ago

I wonder what views there are on this:

I have a Canon 60D and several lenses (ultrawide angle, macro, zoom telephoto, lensbaby), and I do photography purely as a hobby.  My daughter just graduated from university, and when asked if there was something she would like as a graduation present, she said "an SLR camera".  She has a point and shoot, but has played with my camera, and would like the creative options of an SLR, probably when she is traveling, or for general use.

She is petite, with small hands, so I was thinking that the SL1 would be great for her, and if she had a Canon dSLR, we can share lenses.  But then she asked about mirrorless cameras, and I gather the EOS M has a similar APS-C sensor, so would give her similar picture quality, and the controls of an SLR.  Any thoughts on the benefits of the SL1 vs the EOS M?  Or for that matter, it looks like the T5i is similar in cost to the SL1, so is it a better option?

GadgetNeil's gear list:GadgetNeil's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro
Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,694Gear list
Like?
Re: SL1 vs EOS M for my daughter
In reply to GadgetNeil, 5 months ago

I would say, don't try to choose by comparing specifications or asking for opinions - take her to a shop and let her try all three. Her hands will give you an answer better than any other.

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel Talk FAQ.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter63
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?

I really like the M in combination with a DSLR. If I was going to have mirrorless only I would look for something with faster focus.

One of my favorite attributes of the M is the 22 prime, the SL1 with the 40 is small also but not as useful of a focal length.

SL1 with the 18-35 is amazingly capable in a small package. T5i with the 18-135 would be better in a lot of ways but as WilbaW says, the fit in hand is important. If she likes the fit and controls of the M, just keep in mind the speed sacrifices that come with it.

Peter63's gear list:Peter63's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +13 more
BigBen08
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,477
Like?

I'm not knocking the EOS M, but it just wasn't the camera for me.

Too small for my hands, lack of OVF, and slow AF speed were the things I didn't like. I'm considering buying the SL1, but I'm also looking into the Sony A6000 & 16-70 combo.

I agree with WilbaW, take her to a camera store so she can try out the cameras.

Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,215Gear list
Like?

It depends upon budget as well fit. The sl1 is a good and tiny dslr, the m would need an adaptor to fit ef lenses. If I were too go mirrorless I would probably look elsewhere depending upon the budget.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
guinness2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,704
Like?

Anyone can handle SL1 and the possibility to share lenses is invaluable, if it is also her wish.

She can keep her P&S as an even more portable camera.

On the other side, IMO there are better mirrorless cameras than EOS M and I don't see much advantage to insist on Canon. Olympus and Panasonic has excellent Micro 4/3 (MFT) cameras and there are also APS-C cameras on the market (Sony etc..}

A lot of them has the manual DSLR-like setting options and the image quality is great, way from P&S.

Just make clear, if she's happy to shoot by using screen or insists on viewfinder , (like me).

Additionally, Canon has excellent fixed zoom lens cameras with very similar handling like their DLSRs.

The most important aspect is her perception and wish, let prepare both variants ?

Definitely I would take her into the shop, but not unprepared, or she might choose by color (and thus Nikon)

totleytom
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?

I have a 100D (SL1) and specifically chose it over an M. For me, the absence of any kind of viewfinder at all ruled out the M completely - I simply cannot take a decent picture with the camera held out at arms-length so I can see the rear screen. The fact that I have to wear glasses for close vision, and therefore don't normally wear them when I have my camera in my hand (because I'm looking through the VF at distance objects) just compounded things.

But your daughter might be different - younger eyes, more used to that sort of photography....

guinness2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,704
Like?
In reply to totleytom, 5 months ago

totleytom wrote:

I have a 100D (SL1) and specifically chose it over an M. For me, the absence of any kind of viewfinder at all ruled out the M completely - I simply cannot take a decent picture with the camera held out at arms-length so I can see the rear screen. The fact that I have to wear glasses for close vision, and therefore don't normally wear them when I have my camera in my hand (because I'm looking through the VF at distance objects) just compounded things.

Exactly me :-))))

rjjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,061
Like?
I have both the SL1 and the EOSM.

GadgetNeil wrote:

I have a Canon 60D and several lenses (ultrawide angle, macro, zoom telephoto, lensbaby), and I do photography purely as a hobby. My daughter just graduated from university, and when asked if there was something she would like as a graduation present, she said "an SLR camera". She has a point and shoot, but has played with my camera, and would like the creative options of an SLR, probably when she is traveling, or for general use.

She is petite, with small hands, so I was thinking that the SL1 would be great for her, and if she had a Canon dSLR, we can share lenses. But then she asked about mirrorless cameras, and I gather the EOS M has a similar APS-C sensor, so would give her similar picture quality, and the controls of an SLR. Any thoughts on the benefits of the SL1 vs the EOS M? Or for that matter, it looks like the T5i is similar in cost to the SL1, so is it a better option?

IQ wise I have to give a very slight edge to the SL1 based on my experience using them for artifact documentation and copy work at my museum job using the same lenses on both with a tripod and copystand.

Though I really like the EOSM and still use it as my "pocket" travel camera with the 22mm, I think the SL1 is a more complete photographic tool. BTW, swapping EF lenses to the EOSM would require the lens adapter.

I haven't tried the T5I so I have no opinion about its IQ but I wouldn't mind having the tilt screen.

I just noticed that the SL1 body is $449 at a local shop using a $150 Canon instant rebate until May 24.

Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,778
Like?
In reply to guinness2, 5 months ago

guinness2 wrote:

totleytom wrote:

Exactly me :-))))

I have the M and the SL1. The M is a nice camera, but I find it useful only indoors with a flash on it. I will never again buy a camera w/o an OVF or EVF. Your daughter may think she doesn't "need" an OVF but she would learn to love it. Between the two cameras, the SL1 would seem to be a better choice. She might also want to consider the T5i, slightly larger but the articulated screen would be nice and it would be more comfortable with larger lenses, I'd think.

Congratulations on encouraging your daughter's interest in a hobby she can enjoy the rest of her life!

Jack

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,004
Like?
Funny you should ask

While looking into a plan by a grandfather to buy a camera for his grandaughter I went to a camera store yesterday and asked a clerk what she thought.

She looked as if she was a recent college grad,

Her reaction:

If there are family / friends lenses available, buy a body that works with them.

When already-owned lenses are not involved, the mirrorless bodies are small and light and very popular. She took one off the shelf to show me.

Her suggestion, and mine; take the girl to the store with your credit card.

BAK

007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,261Gear list
Like?
I would ASK your DAUGHTER....does she even WANT a DSLR SIZE?

Neil DSLR size doesn't bother most Men in their 30s~70s

But ask any teenagers and young adults: they do not want to look like a Photo GEEK

Its a Social Suicide, and it doesn't post to Instagam directly.  DSLR are toys for middle-age men.  Unfortunately, anything wear or used by middle-age men are NOT COOL, so

Instead of spending good money, I would simply ASK HER FIRST!

But if it were me, I go for the SL1.  Small Size + Expansion-ability.  M is a half/hearted effort by Canon.... and I'm saying this as a M owner.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,004
Like?
Re: I would ASK your DAUGHTER....does she even WANT a DSLR SIZE?
In reply to 007peter, 5 months ago

From the original post >when asked if there was something she would like as a graduation present, she said "an SLR camera". She has a point and shoot, but has played with my camera, and would like the creative options of an SLR,<

BAK

enemjii
Senior MemberPosts: 1,135Gear list
Like?

GadgetNeil wrote:

I have a Canon 60D and several lenses (ultrawide angle, macro, zoom telephoto, lensbaby), and I do photography purely as a hobby. My daughter just graduated from university, and when asked if there was something she would like as a graduation present, she said "an SLR camera". She has a point and shoot, but has played with my camera, and would like the creative options of an SLR, probably when she is traveling, or for general use.

She is petite, with small hands, so I was thinking that the SL1 would be great for her, and if she had a Canon dSLR, we can share lenses. But then she asked about mirrorless cameras, and I gather the EOS M has a similar APS-C sensor, so would give her similar picture quality, and the controls of an SLR. Any thoughts on the benefits of the SL1 vs the EOS M? Or for that matter, it looks like the T5i is similar in cost to the SL1, so is it a better option?

Given she is of the new generation, what is her preference/propensity for a touch screen?

enemjii's gear list:enemjii's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +1 more
needmoretoys
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?

First, my vote is for the SL1. I went through something similar earlier this month. My wife finally decided that she is interested in photography and wanted her own camera. I have a Panasonic ZS7 and FZ200 and Canon S5IS, 10D and new SL1. We went to the local B&N and found an excellent book on beginner DSLR photography. She read it while playing with my S5IS for a week and then we went to the local BB to look at various cameras and also read reviews on DPR. She decided that she wanted something like the Canon G16. After more investigation, we got her the Olympus XZ-2 when it was $299 and she is very happy with it. I think using a method like this is the way to choose a camera for her.

If it were not for Canon lens commonality with you, I might suggest a Pany or Oly mirrorless with EVF. But between the SL1 and M I think the SL1 is the way to go. I'm very happy with mine.

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
rjjr
Like?
EOSM and SL1 both have touchsecreens
In reply to enemjii, 5 months ago

enemjii wrote:

Given she is of the new generation, what is her preference/propensity for a touch screen?

Abu Mahendra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,316Gear list
Like?

Some pix from the M to thicken the plot...the first one would not be possible with the SL100 for it is at 11mm with IS.

rjjr
Like?
Unfortunately...
In reply to Abu Mahendra, 5 months ago

Abu Mahendra wrote:

Some pix from the M to thicken the plot...the first one would not be possible with the SL100 for it is at 11mm with IS.

The 11-22mm f4-5.6 EOSM lens isn't available here, but the EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 fits right on the SL1 (and the EOSM with the adapter).

R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,542Gear list
Like?

Agree that she needs to play with the cameras, since the handling, operation, and ergo are so much different between them.

However she also needs to be made aware of the relative strengths and weaknesses amongst those cameras (something that only shooting for extended periods, or other users' experiences will bring out).

My own personal view is that the SL1 and EOS M would make great "second" cameras.  However the much greater capabilities of a true DSLR give it the nod as a "primary" camera.  I'd see what she thinks of the T5i.

Best of luck,

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
papybenenuts
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?

hello gadgetneil

take a look at the sony RX10...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53577657

-- hide signature --

MB

papybenenuts's gear list:papybenenuts's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads