D800 Lightroom Tethering Reliability?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,666Gear list
Like?
D800 Lightroom Tethering Reliability?
8 months ago

Is everyone else having trouble shooting tethered to Lightroom?  I had a shoot a few weeks ago and it became unreliable.  I just pulled the USB plug and stored to the card.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AWG_Pics
Contributing MemberPosts: 711Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Lightroom Tethering Reliability?
In reply to InTheMist, 8 months ago

Yeah. Camera Control Pro was unreliable when I was trying some focus stacking. PITA. Had to keep turning the camera off and on. Restarted the program a couple of times. Never had that problem with D90 or D300s. It has dissuaded me from doing other tethering with the D800. Have a 7100, but have not tried that tethered yet.

AWG_Pics's gear list:AWG_Pics's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 +39 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Onetrack97
Senior MemberPosts: 1,939Gear list
Like?

If your using windows, check out Fast Picture Viewer Professional.  It's cheap.  I've been using it for about 5 years.

It is very reliable in tethered mode and works well with Lightroom.  The main advantage is that your files will also be saved to your memory cards.

You can't control the camera from the computer but if you display images on a computer and/or TV for your clients, it's great.

-- hide signature --

Scott

Onetrack97's gear list:Onetrack97's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon D810
photoad
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list
Like?

I always found tethering worked best when all the cards were taken out of the camera.  The 'lock up' time where the camera and PC/Mac begin to sync is minimised.

photoad's gear list:photoad's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
AWG_Pics
Contributing MemberPosts: 711Gear list
Like?
In reply to photoad, 7 months ago

Interesting. I will try that.

AWG_Pics's gear list:AWG_Pics's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 +39 more
geoffcam
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, 7 months ago

I really like "Control My Nikon" - fast downloads for viewing with lots of options. Only if you are on Windows, however.

geoffcam's gear list:geoffcam's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,768Gear list
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, 7 months ago

The D800 USB cable becomes much more reliable when it has been inserted into a D800 body a few times.

At any price point, and the D800 is not cheap, the USB cable should make perfect connection from new.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Producing good quality photographs, or being good at sport or art, involves a little more than buying appropriate equipment. Practice, some learning and perhaps natural talent often play a bigger role than the equipment in your hands.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads