K3 or K5 IIs as second body having already a K5IIs?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
joaquim hierro1
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
K3 or K5 IIs as second body having already a K5IIs?
8 months ago

After being stolen half of my gear, with a K5 included I only kept one body K5IIs and I need to buy a second body.  I'm hesitating between buying a second K5IIs or the new K3.

I would appreciate some thoughts about this choice.

Thanks and regards

Joaquim

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,995Gear list
Like?
Re: K3 or K5 IIs as second body having already a K5IIs?
In reply to joaquim hierro1, 8 months ago

joaquim hierro1 wrote:

After being stolen half of my gear, with a K5 included I only kept one body K5IIs and I need to buy a second body. I'm hesitating between buying a second K5IIs or the new K3.

I would appreciate some thoughts about this choice.

Thanks and regards

Joaquim

in case it matters to you the button and menu layouts are different between the K3 and the IIs.

If you read the review here and over at http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM?view=Pentax_reviews you'll find some good comparisons to augment the hands-on observations you get here.

There are lots of reasons to go either way in your idea.  I decided on a IIs over a K3 for now and maybe a K3 at the end of the year when the price might drop a bit, or with my luck the price will increase.    But I do have a need of a larger pixel count for needing to do some 30x20 printing.  The 24MP sensor will need less upsizing.  Still I know the IIs will be likely accept the enlargement better than the K5/K5II because of the lack of the AA filter.  So I decided to go with the IIs unless I find an extra $400 in the mail.  Worst case is I end up swapping it for a IIs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Younes B
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Re: K3 or K5 IIs as second body having already a K5IIs?
In reply to brecklundin, 8 months ago

I have printed large than 20x30 with the files from the K10, with no loss in detail.

So I believe the files from the k5IIs woul d be sufficient.

The previous poster's remarks re button layout are very valid. If you intend to use them side by side with different lenses mounted, it helps a lot to have same layout...

 Younes B's gear list:Younes B's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,995Gear list
Like?
Re: K3 or K5 IIs as second body having already a K5IIs?
In reply to Younes B, 8 months ago

Younes B wrote:

I have printed large than 20x30 with the files from the K10, with no loss in detail.

So I believe the files from the k5IIs woul d be sufficient.

The previous poster's remarks re button layout are very valid. If you intend to use them side by side with different lenses mounted, it helps a lot to have same layout...

oh, for sure.  It's just nice to have a bit more headroom.  

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,446Gear list
Like?
Re: K3 or K5 IIs as second body having already a K5IIs?
In reply to joaquim hierro1, 8 months ago

The main difference is in auto-focus.

  • Prior to the K-3, the size of the Pentax AF points has been a constant complaint. The K-3 allows pinpoint accuracy in AF-S due to smaller points.
  • AF-C is improved immensely. The K-3 uses colour to track the subject, and 27 vs. 11 points for closer tracking. AF Hold control is an important feature, not available on previous Pentax bodies.
-- hide signature --

Dan

 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joaquim hierro1
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: K3 or K5 IIs as second body having already a K5IIs?
In reply to audiobomber, 8 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

The main difference is in auto-focus.

  • Prior to the K-3, the size of the Pentax AF points has been a constant complaint. The K-3 allows pinpoint accuracy in AF-S due to smaller points.
  • AF-C is improved immensely. The K-3 uses colour to track the subject, and 27 vs. 11 points for closer tracking. AF Hold control is an important feature, not available on previous Pentax bodies.
-- hide signature --

Dan

Thanks Dan for your reply.

what would be your choice for landscape and for portraiture.

I've noticed with the K5IIs some exaggerated or "cruel" red skin imperfections in some portraits. Could it be the lack of anti-aliasing filter? Could this be corrected using K3 with the filter "on"?

regards

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,446Gear list
Like?
Re: K3 or K5 IIs as second body having already a K5IIs?
In reply to joaquim hierro1, 8 months ago

joaquim hierro1 wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

The main difference is in auto-focus.

  • Prior to the K-3, the size of the Pentax AF points has been a constant complaint. The K-3 allows pinpoint accuracy in AF-S due to smaller points.
  • AF-C is improved immensely. The K-3 uses colour to track the subject, and 27 vs. 11 points for closer tracking. AF Hold control is an important feature, not available on previous Pentax bodies.
-- hide signature --

Dan

Thanks Dan for your reply.

what would be your choice for landscape and for portraiture.

I've noticed with the K5IIs some exaggerated or "cruel" red skin imperfections in some portraits. Could it be the lack of anti-aliasing filter? Could this be corrected using K3 with the filter "on"?

Landscape and portraiture are kind of opposites. Landscape shooters want corner to corner sharpness at small apertures, and often pump the colour/contrast. Portraits shooters value softer corners for subject isolation, like to blur skin detail, and want natural or even de-saturated colour/contrast. I rarely shoot portraits, and I've never shot a K-5 IIs, but here are my thoughts, for what they're worth.

  • I find skin tones from the K-5 family pretty horrible. White balance is to the cool side (too blue) and may be the reason you note the highlighted skin imperfections. The blue cast can make landscapes and water bodies look spectacular. Of course in raw images, an extra step of processing or a suitable import profile makes WB whatever you like.
  • The K-3 has more detail, always a plus for landscape, and can blur sharpness, sometimes desirable for portraits. If the subject is wearing fine patterned clothing, a blur filter can save you some work in post-processing. I've never tried to remove moiré, but I believe it is time consuming and never as good as not having had it in the first place. K-5 IIs owners say it is seldom a problem, but it depends on what you shoot. Even with the blur filter off, the finer pixel pitch of the K-3 is less likely to show moiré in the first place.
  • The K-3 also has three f2.8-sensitive AF points vs. only the center point in the K-5 IIs, which in theory should make it a little better for fast portrait lenses.
  • The K-3 has faster CDAF, with focus peaking (no FP on K-5 family).
  • Dual card slots are a great feature and can be a lifesaver for important shoots. Card failures are rare, but I've had a couple.

I waited for the K-3 and it was definitely the right choice for me, mostly due to more pixels for cropping bird photos, and superior AF-C for BIF and sports. If your finances allow it, I don't think you'd regret buying the latest and greatest.

-- hide signature --

Dan

 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joaquim hierro1
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: K3 or K5 IIs as second body having already a K5IIs?
In reply to audiobomber, 8 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

joaquim hierro1 wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

The main difference is in auto-focus.

  • Prior to the K-3, the size of the Pentax AF points has been a constant complaint. The K-3 allows pinpoint accuracy in AF-S due to smaller points.
  • AF-C is improved immensely. The K-3 uses colour to track the subject, and 27 vs. 11 points for closer tracking. AF Hold control is an important feature, not available on previous Pentax bodies.
-- hide signature --

Dan

Thanks Dan for your reply.

what would be your choice for landscape and for portraiture.

I've noticed with the K5IIs some exaggerated or "cruel" red skin imperfections in some portraits. Could it be the lack of anti-aliasing filter? Could this be corrected using K3 with the filter "on"?

Landscape and portraiture are kind of opposites. Landscape shooters want corner to corner sharpness at small apertures, and often pump the colour/contrast. Portraits shooters value softer corners for subject isolation, like to blur skin detail, and want natural or even de-saturated colour/contrast. I rarely shoot portraits, and I've never shot a K-5 IIs, but here are my thoughts, for what they're worth.

  • I find skin tones from the K-5 family pretty horrible. White balance is to the cool side (too blue) and may be the reason you note the highlighted skin imperfections. The blue cast can make landscapes and water bodies look spectacular. Of course in raw images, an extra step of processing or a suitable import profile makes WB whatever you like.
  • The K-3 has more detail, always a plus for landscape, and can blur sharpness, sometimes desirable for portraits. If the subject is wearing fine patterned clothing, a blur filter can save you some work in post-processing. I've never tried to remove moiré, but I believe it is time consuming and never as good as not having had it in the first place. K-5 IIs owners say it is seldom a problem, but it depends on what you shoot. Even with the blur filter off, the finer pixel pitch of the K-3 is less likely to show moiré in the first place.
  • The K-3 also has three f2.8-sensitive AF points vs. only the center point in the K-5 IIs, which in theory should make it a little better for fast portrait lenses.
  • The K-3 has faster CDAF, with focus peaking (no FP on K-5 family).
  • Dual card slots are a great feature and can be a lifesaver for important shoots. Card failures are rare, but I've had a couple.

I waited for the K-3 and it was definitely the right choice for me, mostly due to more pixels for cropping bird photos, and superior AF-C for BIF and sports. If your finances allow it, I don't think you'd regret buying the latest and greatest.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Thankyou Dan for your interesting comments.

I 've made up my mind and I ' m going to buy a K3.

I hope it fit well with my primes 15 f/4 limited, 28 f/3,5 and 50 f/1,2 old Pentax lenses and my 100 f/2,8 EX and 28-70 f/2,8 EX Sigmas.

I still need to replace my stolen 70-200. What would you recommend me?

regards

joaquim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,446Gear list
Like?
Re: K3 or K5 IIs as second body having already a K5IIs?
In reply to joaquim hierro1, 7 months ago

joaquim hierro1 wrote:

I 've made up my mind and I ' m going to buy a K3.

I hope it fit well with my primes 15 f/4 limited, 28 f/3,5 and 50 f/1,2 old Pentax lenses and my 100 f/2,8 EX and 28-70 f/2,8 EX Sigmas.

Sounds like fun.

I still need to replace my stolen 70-200. What would you recommend me?

I haven't paid much attention to 70-200's. Which one did you own? There are these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=70-200mm+for+pentax&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

What uses do you have in mind for the 70-200?

-- hide signature --

Dan

 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joaquim hierro1
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: K3 or K5 IIs as second body having already a K5IIs?
In reply to audiobomber, 7 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

joaquim hierro1 wrote:

I 've made up my mind and I ' m going to buy a K3.

I hope it fit well with my primes 15 f/4 limited, 28 f/3,5 and 50 f/1,2 old Pentax lenses and my 100 f/2,8 EX and 28-70 f/2,8 EX Sigmas.

Sounds like fun.

I still need to replace my stolen 70-200. What would you recommend me?

I haven't paid much attention to 70-200's. Which one did you own? There are these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=70-200mm+for+pentax&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

What uses do you have in mind for the 70-200?

-- hide signature --

Dan

I had the old 70-200 f/2,8 EX Sigma and used it for concerts and scenic shows and also some portraits.

do you know the Tamron?

regards

Joa

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,446Gear list
Like?
Re: K3 or K5 IIs as second body having already a K5IIs?
In reply to joaquim hierro1, 7 months ago

joaquim hierro1 wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

joaquim hierro1 wrote:

I 've made up my mind and I ' m going to buy a K3.

I hope it fit well with my primes 15 f/4 limited, 28 f/3,5 and 50 f/1,2 old Pentax lenses and my 100 f/2,8 EX and 28-70 f/2,8 EX Sigmas.

Sounds like fun.

I still need to replace my stolen 70-200. What would you recommend me?

I haven't paid much attention to 70-200's. Which one did you own? There are these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=70-200mm+for+pentax&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

What uses do you have in mind for the 70-200?

-- hide signature --

Dan

I had the old 70-200 f/2,8 EX Sigma and used it for concerts and scenic shows and also some portraits.

do you know the Tamron?

Not at all. Have you considered the DA*50-135mm? It would be a good fit for your uses.

-- hide signature --

Dan

 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads