"Pentax" in English literature

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
bkpix
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
"Pentax" in English literature
4 months ago

Check out the Google Ngram of the word "Pentax"  in English books published since 1900.

That would basically be a graph of how many times the word shows up, for each year of publication, in books digitized by Google. I'll leave it to you to work out the details, though I'll add that some of the data are not exact.

Anyway, we see the rise and fall of the name from the late 1950s to a peak in 1975. Then a decline to 1994. And finally a steady rise to 2008, the last year for which they have data.

Fun.

bkpix's gear list:bkpix's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131Gear list
Like?
Re: "Pentax" in English literature
In reply to bkpix, 4 months ago

That is extremely awesome.  Thank you very much for posting the link.  Now I am curious about the books in question.  How many, I wonder, are books of photographs or books about photography and how many are works of fiction where, for instance, a character is carrying a Pentax.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bkpix
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
In reply to yardcoyote, 4 months ago

I believe Google casts a wide net for the books, including everything from technical manuals to works of fiction. You can read more on the site, through links at the bottom.

bkpix's gear list:bkpix's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Richard DK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?

Well i bought my first Pentax, a Spotmaitc, in Germany in 1973 and they sold as well as the Nikon F2 but for a bit less money.

-- hide signature --

Dick K.
http://rkirkley.zenfolio.com
''The main difference between a professional photographer and an amateur is that the pro has a bigger waste basket'
John Shaw

Richard DK's gear list:Richard DK's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro +7 more
Michael Perham
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?

Pentax really led the way with early SLRs and with the introduction of the LX in 1980 hit the pinnacle of manual SLR perfection.  Unfortunately, as a family owned company, they didn't have the marketing clout of large corporations like Nikon and Canon to promote their product.  The later would have lenses and service staff at all major events to assist the Pro's and that sort or resource was beyond Pentax.  Still, the LX, and I owned one, was an absolutely superb camera; I traded in my Canon F1 and looked at the Nikon F3 and LX deciding on the LX ...no regrets.

Michael Perham's gear list:Michael Perham's gear list
Fujifilm XQ1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +2 more
Richard DK
Like?
In reply to Richard DK, 4 months ago

I might add that in their first full length movie  'A Hard Days Night" released I thing in 1964, Ringo Starr raced around the streets of London shooting everything in sight with a Pentax 35mm camera. That might of boosted sales. I wonder if google can charted cameras used by actors in movies.

-- hide signature --

Dick K.
''The main difference between a professional photographer and an amateur is that the pro has a bigger waste basket'
John Shaw

Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro +7 more
Richard DK
Like?
In reply to Richard DK, 4 months ago

As a matter of interest in their first full length movie; A Hard Day's Night' the Beatles Ringo Starr raced around the streets of London shooting everything in sight with a Pentax 35mm. That may have boosted sales. Does Google track cameras used in movies by actors?

Dick K.

John Shaw

Holger Bargen
Contributing MemberPosts: 735Gear list
Like?

Thank you for sharing this nice Webpage. It's fun to play with it and check some words.

Regarding Pentax things become a Little frustrating if you compare it with other companies. You can't select Canon because of it's meaning as a word in Englich, too. But Nikon and Olympus works fine:

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Nikon%2CPentax%2COlympus&case_insensitive=on&year_start=1900&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t4%3B%2CNikon%3B%2Cc0%3B%2Cs0%3B%3BNikon%3B%2Cc0%3B%3BNIKON%3B%2Cc0%3B.t4%3B%2CPentax%3B%2Cc0%3B%2Cs0%3B%3BPentax%3B%2Cc0%3B%3BPENTAX%3B%2Cc0%3B.t4%3B%2COlympus%3B%2Cc0%3B%2Cs0%3B%3BOlympus%3B%2Cc0%3B%3BOLYMPUS%3B%2Cc0

Best regards

Holger

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,329Gear list
Like?

I didn't know the viewer existed - thanks Bob.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Michael Piziak
Regular MemberPosts: 324Gear list
Like?

I was reading the history of Pentax on wikipedia and was surprised that it was originally a pre-war German word.

"The name "Pentax" was originally a registered trademark of the East German VEB Zeiss Ikon (from "Pentaprism" and "Contax") but, as all Germans patents were annulled with the country's defeat, the name "Pentax" was taken by the Asahi Optical company in 1957."

Source: Wikipedia

Michael Piziak's gear list:Michael Piziak's gear list
Pentax K-r Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +1 more
andrew britten
Contributing MemberPosts: 982Gear list
Like?

Thanks for this link.

I found it interesting to look up other words and phrases generally, to see their popularity over the decades - especially the rude ones!

AB

andrew britten's gear list:andrew britten's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 +1 more
PRISCILLA TURNER
Senior MemberPosts: 1,002
Like?

There's a quite modern reference in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Love-How-Deep-Diana-Maryon/dp/1449721206

Publication was in late 2011.

-- hide signature --

'To see, not with, but through the eye.' [William Blake]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22905474@N06/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads