Sony RX1 VRS Nikon DF

Started 4 months ago | Questions
David Gore
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,511
Like?
Sony RX1 VRS Nikon DF
4 months ago

I know this is somewhat comparing apples and oranges but since I have the RX1 and am happy with it if cost is not a factor how would you compare the color,contrast,high ISo etc of the 35mm RX1 with say the DF with the Nikon 35mm 1.4??

I realize the DF is expandable with additional lenses while the RX1 is fixed with its beautiful Zeiss 2.0

Just wondering if anyone has this combo or has read anything comparing the 2 of them

Thanks, Dave

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Df Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony RX1 VRS Nikon DF
In reply to David Gore, 4 months ago

I own an RX1 and D4s. I previously owned the D4.

The RX1 beats any combination of D4 and 35mm lens for IQ (resolution, contrast, sharpness across the frame, microcontrast, etc) that I've tried.

D4 is better at high ISO, AF, handling, speed.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Gore
Like?
In reply to LD_50, 4 months ago

So I should assume that if I bought the DF with the 50mm 1.8 kit lens the only advantage the df might have is higher IS0"s?/ If i get the DF I might also get the 24-85 Nikon lens.

Appreciate any further thoughts you might have..Thanks

LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?

Df with 50 1.8 is definitely different than RX1. Different focal length, shallower DOF, lesser quality lens, etc.

I prefer a Nikon setup for the AF, speed, ergonomics, optical VF, lens selection.

I have kept the RX1 because I can't beat the IQ at 35mm, the leaf shutter is silent, and it's fun for street shooting discreetly with the EVF at the 90 degree position.

The RX1 to me is all about having great IQ in a tiny and silent package. It leaves a lot to be desired outside of those qualities.

All that being said I'm not a fan of the Df. I don't like the AF system when compared to the higher end Nikon system, I don't like the ergonomics, and I don't care for the half retro half modern control scheme.

If you enjoy the RX1 and are not invested in Nikon, I would recommend taking a look at the Olympus OMD-EM1 and Fuji XT-1.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +1 more
David Gore
Like?
In reply to LD_50, 4 months ago

Thanks for your input..I decided not to invest in the DF and will look into the EM1

ekaton
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?

David Gore wrote:

Thanks for your input..I decided not to invest in the DF and will look into the EM1

DF and EM1, two completely different cameras in every way possible. IQ wise country miles apart. I love my Df, and don`t like my EM1. I respect the EM1 for some things it is a good tool for, but do not enjoy shooting with it, it simply does not grow on me. If it shall not be the Df, have a look at the Fuji XT1 which is much closer to the Nikon in philosophy than the Olympus and beats the mft for IQ by quite a margin.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill RX100 III Leica M9 +1 more
nightmedia
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?
In reply to ekaton, 4 months ago

Same experience here, had the OMD5, sold it because I was not having fun with it, got the OMD1 with the nocticron 42mm, returned it and actually felt sorry to see the nocticron go, a fantastic lens.

the OMD series 5 axis stabilization is indeed great, nothing comes close, but the camera output leaves much to be desired. The JPGs are over-processed and have very complex artifacts hard to remove, the raw has lots of noise at base ISO (hence the crappy JPG). Viewed from a distance all images look fine-ish, but when you look in detail or crop into the pic it's just disappointing. All in all, an underwhelming experience, albeit there are some lenses in the MFT stable that I would love to have on FX.

-- hide signature --
 nightmedia's gear list:nightmedia's gear list
Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135
crosstype
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?

If you do not need autofocus speed or interchangeable lenses, then the RX1/R is a better bet. However, SONY is going to release RX2 in the near future (either August 2014 or 1 May 2014). It is rumored to feature curved sensor with 35mm f1.8 lens.

crosstype's gear list:crosstype's gear list
Sony RX1R Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads