XT-1 Two shots, dusting myself off.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
kwilkins
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?
XT-1 Two shots, dusting myself off.
6 months ago

Just recently got back into taking photos, and I'm a bit dusty.  Picked up the XT-1 a couple of weeks ago and really like the camera.  Here are two photos - critiques and comments appreciated.

AlbieSky
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,332Gear list
Like?
Re: XT-1 Two shots, dusting myself off.
In reply to kwilkins, 6 months ago

What we see is not what we always get on digital. Your two shots are very 'snapshot'-ish. I am sure it looked better in person with our wonderful eyes and their spectacular dynamic range, but not so good from the camera.

I have been lossing interest in digital photography over the past few years, but the XT-1 has me excited again about shooting.

Enjoy!

AlbieSky's gear list:AlbieSky's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,660
Like?
Regarding shot #1, I'd see if you can lighten the shadows in Lightroom.

#2 is nice.

#1 is a hard shot because of the light from the window.  You exposed for the window, but the lady on the left is underexposed.  2 options, use a bounce flash (I could on my Canon 5D Mark III very easily) or lighten in post.  Actually a third option would have been to expose for her and blow out the window.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

I actually like number 1. It's just not as strong by itself. It looks to be part of a series that tells a story. The same way a documentary-style wedding photographer would do.

seukel
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?
In reply to AlbieSky, 6 months ago

AlbieSky wrote:

What we see is not what we always get on digital.

But isn't that - WYSIWYG - what the XT-1 is all about ... showing the effects of exposure adjustments in the EVF in real time?

Peter

-- hide signature --

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
Oscar Wilde

britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,057Gear list
Like?

I really like these ...

No 1 needs the shadows on the face lifting, so you could use a local brush adjustment in PP, but easier, and more natural for me, would be to use a hand-held reflector. That way, you can judge the shadows and light intensity. Anything will work - a sheet, a pillow, an insulating panel.

I might also crop more on the left so that the lady's expression is more tightly focused on her friend.

Hope that helps!

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich S (britcam)

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +8 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,434Gear list
Like?

#1 wins for me. I'd have stuck the RAW in LR and lifted shadows 10 or 15 to start and gone from there, doesn't need a heavy hand.

Nice. Going from zero to X-T1 must be a rush - virtually what happened to me with the X-E1, put a grin on my face repeatedly.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to seukel, 6 months ago

AlbieSky wrote:

What we see is not what we always get on digital.

But isn't that - WYSIWYG - what the XT-1 is all about ... showing the effects of exposure adjustments in the EVF in real time?

Peter

-- hide signature --

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
Oscar Wilde

He's talking about the seemingly limitless dynamic range of human eyesight vs digital. We see a very large range through shadows and highlights but digital sensors just can't hold up to that currently

kwilkins
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?
In reply to britcam, 6 months ago

britcam wrote:

I really like these ...

No 1 needs the shadows on the face lifting, so you could use a local brush adjustment in PP, but easier, and more natural for me, would be to use a hand-held reflector. That way, you can judge the shadows and light intensity. Anything will work - a sheet, a pillow, an insulating panel.

I might also crop more on the left so that the lady's expression is more tightly focused on her friend.

Hope that helps!

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich S (britcam)

I took a few of these shots, I think this one is exposed better, and cropped as you suggested.  Thanks for the advice.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,712Gear list
Like?

When you shoot a subject in front of a bright window be sure you meter off the subject Not the window.

The basics of photography have not changed. If you have a film background you will know about 18% grey and how that (grey card) was used for getting a proper exposure.

Digital cameras do this automatically. When the camera sees an over exposed scene it compensates by making it darker. So if you point the camera or the meter is influenced by the light source the rest is underexposed.

You can switch to the average metering pattern, point at the subject, and then do a focus/exposure lock and re-compose.

You can use fill flash as an option.

You can reposition the subject away from the window so the light source is to the side which is a way to naturally diffuse.

This shot is through a window when I used to shoot Micro Four Thirds. I was a guest at the wedding and the photographer was shooting outside to my camera left (obviously)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads