missed focus, or pleasant surprise?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Eli Allan
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
missed focus, or pleasant surprise?
8 months ago

I shot some photos with a gymnast yesterday and I have a photo here that I can't make a decision about.  She was swirling this big ribbon at the edge of the canyon, given her constant motion back and forth I had to use AF in order to hit focus and maintain the dof effect. My usual method for this is to center focus and quickly recompose, which is effective but not perfect. So in this shot I focused on her eyes but as I recomposed she quickly stepped backwards into this pose and completely behind the point of focus.  At the time I called it a miss and kept shooting but after the fact, I actually really liked the OOF shot.  I have some similar shots that are in focus, but none with the ribbon in such a perfect position. What are your thoughts? Happy accident or a total fail on what might have been the shot of the day?

UtahManSir
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,607
Like?
Re: missed focus, or pleasant surprise?
In reply to Eli Allan, 8 months ago

I like it, but I have a penchant for that kind of effect, nice photos. What was the location?

Lloyd

-- hide signature --

“For every problem there is a solution which is simple, clean and wrong.” Henry Louis Mencken
http://lloydshell.blogspot.com/
http://lloydshell.zenfolio.com/
WSSA #354
http://lloydshell.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v41/p234497562-3.jpg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jm_mac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?

Eli Allan wrote:

I shot some photos with a gymnast yesterday and I have a photo here that I can't make a decision about. She was swirling this big ribbon at the edge of the canyon, given her constant motion back and forth I had to use AF in order to hit focus and maintain the dof effect. My usual method for this is to center focus and quickly recompose, which is effective but not perfect. So in this shot I focused on her eyes but as I recomposed she quickly stepped backwards into this pose and completely behind the point of focus. At the time I called it a miss and kept shooting but after the fact, I actually really liked the OOF shot. I have some similar shots that are in focus, but none with the ribbon in such a perfect position. What are your thoughts? Happy accident or a total fail on what might have been the shot of the day?

I think you have the perfect subject, prop, depth of field, and background.  Whether focused on the prop or the gymnast, I love all these photos.  And the first one, I think it is better the way you captured it, as opposed to the way you intended.  Well done!

jm_mac's gear list:jm_mac's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D7000 Pentax K-01 Canon EOS M Pentax K-5 IIs +13 more
Eli Allan
Like?
In reply to jm_mac, 8 months ago

Thanks. The pictures were taken at the Grand Canyon.  This was also my first time playing with a new toy. I bought an led ring light which I was worried might not be bright enough to even have an effect. Fortunately the sky was a darkened a little by the storm coming in, and the ring did just what I'd hoped with a little bit of soft fill light on the models face.

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,819Gear list
Like?
In reply to jm_mac, 8 months ago

I see no issue there all artistic and creatively good the one you own up as mistake I'd even go as far as to say excellent.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 21,095Gear list
Like?

The ribbon is the nearest thing and may also be the main object.

So, why not? Looks good.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,820Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 8 months ago

I think it's a winner,

by the way are there many of those girls swirling ribbons where that shot was taken, or do you have to bring your own?

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,690Gear list
Like?

Looks good emphasizes the ribbon.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Eli Allan
Like?
In reply to ozdean, 8 months ago

Thanks for all the compliments and the reassurement. There is definitely something about the oof shot that I really like, but I can"t put a finger on why I like it so much. Even the ribbon is a bit defocused. That, and knowing that I missed on the one shot that I'd really planned out. My confidence was a little shaken.

David, the gymnast is an aspiring model that was passing through and had seen some of my work. As someone who mostly works in documentary situations with people who are not comfortable in front of the camera, a good model sure makes it easy.

This shoot also reaffirmed my love of the sigma 30/1.4, some people hate this lens because its corners are as soft as the old "soft" lenses from the 80s. I think its brilliant, it reminds me a bit of the 43 limited but at a crop sensor focal length.  Its a great portrait lens.

DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,820Gear list
Like?

Hi,

They talk in the upper echelons of photography about the elements needed within a photo and this image is a good example of that,

1, your on the top of the world, (can't do much better than that)

2, strong animated subject

3, dimensional contrast near/distant

4, strong overall light and focus balance

It's said that you need at least three elements for a strong photograph and the fourth welds the elements together.

you were in the right place at the right time and stumbled upon the right girl!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
ImageAmateur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,873
Like?
Re: missed focus, or pleasant surprise? great

Love it, eloquent, whether intended or not.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads