X-T1 - First experience with a Fuji camera. Is this noise normal?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Xesko
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
X-T1 - First experience with a Fuji camera. Is this noise normal?
3 months ago

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and new also to Fuji cameras. I normally use Canon DSLRs and never found this issue there (if it's really an issue...). I apologise if this is a trivial question, but again my experience is very limited at the moment with this camera (1 hour?). Searched in the forum but couldn't find this being asked.

I just got an X-T1, with the 18-55 kit lens. Trying Aperture priority. Pre-AF is OFF. ISO 200. If I aim the camera to somewhere and then move it to aim to a different place with a contrast difference, I can hear like a mechanical noise going on al the time until I get the camera more steady. IS on the lens is off too. What's that noise about? I'm not half-pressing the shutter button, so the camera shouldn't be trying to focus or anything. As far as I understand, nothing mechanical should be happening there but I might very well be wrong. Is this normal? what causes it? Can it be avoided?

Thanks a lot for your help!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robert Garcia NYC
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?
Re: X-T1 - First experience with a Fuji camera. Is this noise normal?
In reply to Xesko, 3 months ago

yeah, the lenses are noisy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edward Chatlos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,464Gear list
Like?

On my XE2 with 18-55 lens attached I don't hear anything.

Check the switch on the front of the camera that it is not set to C for Continuous Auto focus. Make sure it is set to S for Single focus.

Even with mine set to continuous I don't hear much if anything.

Edward Chatlos's gear list:Edward Chatlos's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?

Xesko wrote:

What's that noise about?

Part of the OIS is always on keeping the moving part of glass in place, hence the little humming.

Some people hear it, some don't but it's there

Regards

Edward Chatlos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,464Gear list
Like?
In reply to dengx, 3 months ago

dengx wrote:

Xesko wrote:

What's that noise about?

Part of the OIS is always on keeping the moving part of glass in place, hence the little humming.

Regards

Yes if I hold the lens/camera up to my ear I here something along with some clicking at times. A few inches away from my ear I hear nothing.

If my eye is at the viewfinder I don't hear it or I don't notice it.

Edward Chatlos's gear list:Edward Chatlos's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Xesko
Like?

Thanks all!

Edward, I didn’t mentioned in my post but I was using S (single focus) already. Thanks anyway, as this indeed could have been an explanation.

Dengx, yes, this might be what I hear, this little humming, as you say, with some clicking at times like Edward says too. It might be a little bit louder in the X-T1 as I hear it if my eye is at the viewfinder. But it’s very soft or low anyway, hard to hear if there is a bit of ambient noise around.

I guess then this is normal function in these cameras, was just worried if there was something wrong in my unit.

Cheers!

Chad Hardy
Contributing MemberPosts: 912Gear list
Like?

Xesko wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and new also to Fuji cameras. I normally use Canon DSLRs and never found this issue there (if it's really an issue...). I apologise if this is a trivial question, but again my experience is very limited at the moment with this camera (1 hour?). Searched in the forum but couldn't find this being asked.

I just got an X-T1, with the 18-55 kit lens. Trying Aperture priority. Pre-AF is OFF. ISO 200. If I aim the camera to somewhere and then move it to aim to a different place with a contrast difference, I can hear like a mechanical noise going on al the time until I get the camera more steady. IS on the lens is off too. What's that noise about? I'm not half-pressing the shutter button, so the camera shouldn't be trying to focus or anything. As far as I understand, nothing mechanical should be happening there but I might very well be wrong. Is this normal? what causes it? Can it be avoided?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I hadn't noticed until you asked.  I held my ear up to it.  It is just the gyros motors for the OIS, at least that is all I hear.  No worries.   I have had mine for over a year (the 1855), no issues.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
John Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,033Gear list
Like?
In reply to Edward Chatlos, 3 months ago

Edward Chatlos wrote:

dengx wrote:

Xesko wrote:

What's that noise about?

Regards

Yes if I hold the lens/camera up to my ear I here something along with some clicking at times. A few inches away from my ear I hear nothing.

If my eye is at the viewfinder I don't hear it or I don't notice it.

I've never noticed any sound when looking through the viewfinder (other than the beep for focus lock of course).

-- hide signature --

john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
AlbieSky
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,332Gear list
Like?

I haven't noticed any bad noise from my lens.

Have you also checked to see if you need to upgrade the lens firmware?

AlbieSky's gear list:AlbieSky's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
Xesko
Like?
In reply to AlbieSky, 3 months ago

AlbieSky wrote:

That's a good point, AlbieSky. No, I didn't. Going to check right away. Thanks!

Xesko
Like?
In reply to AlbieSky, 3 months ago

AlbieSky wrote:

just to keep you guys updated, I just upgraded the firmware from 3.1 to 3.11, but the noise is still there.

jadot
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?

Do you have the pre-focus switched on?

-- hide signature --

examples of my photography at www.alexanderleaman.co.uk

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads