First Pics with X_E1

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
joseluisherranz
Regular MemberPosts: 475Gear list
Like?
First Pics with X_E1
7 months ago

Hello. Bought (at las) a X-E! and gave it a try last week.

Love the colors, the handling, controls, weight, IQ, low light.

I can do almost anything with it except.... fast candid shooting.

Impossible due to lag and Af.

Anyway for what I cannot achiev I have a Nikon, soon to be replaced perhaps by OLY EM-10.

Anyway. I´ll shar some pics. All kit lens.

Don´t be too hard.

It is marvellous for PORTRAITS

Now seriously

Good for street

Good for Low light

joseluisherranz's gear list:joseluisherranz's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
joseluisherranz
Like?
Re: First Pics with X_E1
In reply to joseluisherranz, 7 months ago

So far, so good.

Helps me think more about composition, light and so on.

You were right. Good for photography. And it takes pics as well !!!!

And slow AF for fast action.

Apart from that you can do the rest in a  very, very satisfying way.

AND PANORAMAS TOO

Horizontal

Vertical.

Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joseluisherranz
Like?

Some more pics.

stillman3
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?

Wow, you can really make that camera sing. Beautiful images!! What city did you shoot the horizontal panorama in?

Back to the X-E1. Have you updated the firmware? Fuji made many improvements in AF with later firmware. The focus box size can also influence AF also. One tip I always mention is to make certain the auto power off is set as it easy to switch the camera on when putting it into a bag.

I love the images you have made and look forward to seeing more.

Regards Eric

Les Berkley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?

I really like #2. Nice color and expression. It's also a bit sharper than what I've been getting with the CKL, so I'll have to do a real test on that lens. I don't usually 'test', but...

fuji s5
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Les Berkley, 7 months ago

Hi Jose.

What is your recipe to get these colours?

Regard,

joseluisherranz
Like?
In reply to stillman3, 7 months ago

stillman3 wrote:

Wow, you can really make that camera sing. Beautiful images!! What city did you shoot the horizontal panorama in?

Back to the X-E1. Have you updated the firmware? Fuji made many improvements in AF with later firmware. The focus box size can also influence AF also. One tip I always mention is to make certain the auto power off is set as it easy to switch the camera on when putting it into a bag.

I love the images you have made and look forward to seeing more.

Regards Eric

I´ll answer to all.

Thanks. I´m surprised too of how it performed.

Well, the pano was from Budapest.

The second picture is an awesome sharpness example of the kit lens.

The colors, well, Ii will share the secret I think is responsible for that.

I use standard Pro color mode.

AND I shoot only JPEG. I process with a miracle calle¡d Photo Effects 8.

I only apply a setting named TONE ENHANCER. Nd a sharpness brush in the areas I wish to enhance more.

It seems that the files out from fuji allow a lot of work and extract all of what the sensor is capable of in postprocess.

I know, I´m not professional, do not use raw as they do, only a quick setting of a commercial pluging.

But it is all I can do. I have very little free time to enjoy my hobby, shoot at most once a month and need the quickest of the postprocessing tools to have the results I seek from seeing those wonderful pics in these forums.

joseluisherranz
Like?

Here is another example of what I say.

It is a blessing for amateurs wishing to "emulate" good photographers and expensive cameras and lenses.

You can get almost 80 % sharpness and colours of what you should with talent raw and high grade lenses.

Obviously your creativity relies in composition and choosing subjects to photograph. That is something the plugin cannot help with.

This pic was almost a waste for dull colors, so so sharpness, and the PP allowed to get an acceptable pic (At least for me...)

I named it Rithm.

Another one indoors in a subway station

And here is another example although using a Nikon D5100 85 1.8 in which you can see how using the tone enhancer and selective masking (leaving untouched the background) and applying a sharpness

brush cano do.

joseluisherranz
Like?
Now I need to substitute Nikon D5100 for something lighter.

Now I need to substitute Nikon D5100 for something lighter.

If the xt1 (in the future $$) was speedy enough to let me take candids of moving people with perhaps the 55-200 (ideal range for me) it would be fantastic.

If not I would stick to my x-E1 for low light, landscape, general street ...and try olympus E-m10 and

75 1.8 lens.

That would be my next movement I guess.

Well, and try to save as well for a 35. And a 10-25 .....

I will succeed near retirement age.

This is what I photograph mostly

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arkha2/sets/72157634419586675/

jabber54
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?

joseluisherranz wrote:

I´ll answer to all.

Your picture composition is wonderful!!!

I also really like your colors and highlights.

Who makes Photo Effects 8 - I did a search and found various online photo effects websites and also found a software package Picture Effects 8 - which is the one you use?

Thanks

I only apply a setting named TONE ENHANCER. Nd a sharpness brush in the areas I wish to enhance more.

Is this brush part of Photo Effects 8?

Thanks for your help!

joseluisherranz
Like?
In reply to jabber54, 7 months ago

jabber54 wrote:

joseluisherranz wrote:

I´ll answer to all.

Your picture composition is wonderful!!!

I also really like your colors and highlights.

Who makes Photo Effects 8 - I did a search and found various online photo effects websites and also found a software package Picture Effects 8 - which is the one you use?

Thanks

Is this brush part of Photo Effects 8?

Thanks for your help!

Well yes it´s the OneOne Software Photo effects 8. Really good

Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,208Gear list
Like?

Me likey!

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Van du Nord
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?

Hi Jose,

nice pictures, good start.

You ask some comments on composition. What I think about portrait number two as well as the accordeon player is that these pictures are centered. For me, here is no composition, this is shooting. Especially the ladies portrait, the head is given like the trophy of a hunter, or a soldier. As the lady is turned a little to the right, she should be a little in the left part of the image in order to open the image. And she is a too close, you "cut" her neck by shooting horizontally. Even if the eyes are beautiful and sharp, I would not keep this picture in my album.

The panoramic composition is good, the lady looks into the good direction and "opens" the panorama.

joseluisherranz
Like?
In reply to Van du Nord, 7 months ago

Van du Nord wrote:

Hi Jose,

nice pictures, good start.

You ask some comments on composition. What I think about portrait number two as well as the accordeon player is that these pictures are centered. For me, here is no composition, this is shooting. Especially the ladies portrait, the head is given like the trophy of a hunter, or a soldier. As the lady is turned a little to the right, she should be a little in the left part of the image in order to open the image. And she is a too close, you "cut" her neck by shooting horizontally. Even if the eyes are beautiful and sharp, I would not keep this picture in my album.

The panoramic composition is good, the lady looks into the good direction and "opens" the panorama.

Thanks.

You are probably right in almost everything. You don´t need to keep the photo in your album.

But I will !!

Van du Nord
Like?

sure you will! I have no doubt about that.

I would be happy to make a nice and sharp portrait as you did, not easy at all.

Instinctively I will never center the model but open the image of the direction where the model looks and I would generally prefer a vertical picture as the person is staying. This avoids to "cut her neck".

What I wanted to say about my own album, is that I will keep well composed pictures even if they are technically not perfect, I will not keep technical perfect shots if the composition is disturbing me.

Good luck with your X-E1!!!

joseluisherranz
Like?

Van du Nord wrote:

sure you will! I have no doubt about that.

I would be happy to make a nice and sharp portrait as you did, not easy at all.

Instinctively I will never center the model but open the image of the direction where the model looks and I would generally prefer a vertical picture as the person is staying. This avoids to "cut her neck".

What I wanted to say about my own album, is that I will keep well composed pictures even if they are technically not perfect, I will not keep technical perfect shots if the composition is disturbing me.

Good luck with your X-E1!!!

No problem. I said you were right in almost everything.

The question is that this is my daughter and want to keep the pic, and although not perfect I like it.

Also it is the first real sharp portrait with my new toy and want to remember it.

I´m an amateur and shoot for the pleasure of it, try to learn from everyone and care about IQ composition, color,.....trying to achieve as better I can get.

But pictures are also memories. If one is not perfect but worth keeping it for the record. I do.

Regards.

MrChristopher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,011Gear list
Like?

Great photos!

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
joseluisherranz
Like?
In reply to MrChristopher, 7 months ago

Well thanks! You are really kind. All of you in this forum.

I think I shipped to Fuji not for the system but  for the Forum!!!!

Try and post images in other forums. "Professionals" just squeeze you.

Just try to do my best, enjoy, learn from people in these forums, watch a lot others pics to try and emulate their results, and realy ................................. great help from the Photo Efects 8 (or even Topaz I used previously) that even lets you turn a mediocre pic in something "edible".

Speaking of wich, I used to do PP with photoshop elements and some plugins. Then discovered Topaz Adjust which was very good.

But this program made me add too much sharpness and artifacts appeared.

I believe that either the jpegs from Fuji allow much more "manipulation" or the Photo Effects 8 is better for avoiding artifacts or ........BOTH. Anyway for someone that has little time to shoot and process it is a blessing.

It happens that I just started using X-E1 and the software at the same time !

Van du Nord
Like?

Congratulations JoseLuis, for sure you must keep these pictures!! And you will have the opportunity to make other pictures from your daughter. so you can try other compositions.

I am an amateur too, I have an X-E2 and the 18/55 plus the 50/230 zooms. Both zooms are very good glasses in my opinion.

All the best for you and your daughter!!

joseluisherranz
Like?

Van du Nord wrote:

Congratulations JoseLuis, for sure you must keep these pictures!! And you will have the opportunity to make other pictures from your daughter. so you can try other compositions.

I am an amateur too, I have an X-E2 and the 18/55 plus the 50/230 zooms. Both zooms are very good glasses in my opinion.

All the best for you and your daughter!!

Could you pleease post any portrait/candid shot with the 50-230 please?

I sometimes use teles for this purpose and have a Tamron 70-300 VC wich is good and HEAVY.

Also, can you tell me if the X-E2 is good enough for moving subjects such as people on the streets walking (not running or sports!) because my X-E1 is terribly bad for that.

Thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads