Need a High Quality Camera Strap for D4S

Started 8 months ago | Questions
ngtszhodavid
Contributing MemberPosts: 631Gear list
Like?
Need a High Quality Camera Strap for D4S
8 months ago

just wondering any good ones you guys recommend out there...

heavy camera.. love it..but getting old myself and need a nice strap...

thanks in advance!

ngtszhodavid's gear list:ngtszhodavid's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D4s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,931Gear list
Like?
Re: Need a High Quality Camera Strap for D4S
In reply to ngtszhodavid, 8 months ago

I would consider Op/Tech system straps for your new D4s. I've been using them for years and there are so many ways you can configure them that if you can't find something to work for you, it hasn't been invented yet. They are of the neoprene stretchable type and are very comfortable. I can carry a D800 with a 70-200 f/2.8 around all day. I have tried many other brands, in trying to find something better but I always come back to Op/Tech. My strap collection is starting to look like my camera bag collection. I personally would not carry around a D4s because it's too heavy but then I'm planning to purchase a Graflex Super Graphic press camera so that I can take 4x5 images again.

http://optechusa.com/straps.html

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +47 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
9ck
9ck
Contributing MemberPosts: 520Gear list
Like?

ngtszhodavid wrote:

just wondering any good ones you guys recommend out there...

heavy camera.. love it..but getting old myself and need a nice strap...

thanks in advance!

I've just got the Joby Pro Sling Strap and the Op/Tech which I've been writing a bit about in the tread linked to below. For a traditional good quality strap I'd also be looking at the Black Rapid and Sun Sniper. I tried the Black Rapid out in the store and it was a nice fit and well function. I got the Joby cause I wanted the option to secure the camera in a higher position.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53366141

-- hide signature --

Regards 9ck

9ck's gear list:9ck's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,489
Like?

I put Tamrac neoprene straps with their quick release buckles on all my cameras. The neoprene does not slip off a shoulder and it acts like a shock absorber when using a heavy camera with a heavy lens. Huge difference in comfort.

The Tamrac are the only straps I have found with quick release buckles that do not self-release. When using a tripod I remove the strap after the camera is safely mounted on the head. I avoid accidentally getting caught in the strap and having the tripod and camera crash to the ground. I take the strap off and wrap it around the tripod where it is out of the way completely.

I have used many "pro" straps and all ended up in the trash after a single day of use.

ngtszhodavid
Like?
In reply to Cliff Fujii, 8 months ago

Cliff Fujii wrote:

I would consider Op/Tech system straps for your new D4s. I've been using them for years and there are so many ways you can configure them that if you can't find something to work for you, it hasn't been invented yet. They are of the neoprene stretchable type and are very comfortable. I can carry a D800 with a 70-200 f/2.8 around all day. I have tried many other brands, in trying to find something better but I always come back to Op/Tech. My strap collection is starting to look like my camera bag collection. I personally would not carry around a D4s because it's too heavy but then I'm planning to purchase a Graflex Super Graphic press camera so that I can take 4x5 images again.

http://optechusa.com/straps.html

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Thanks. I've been using them for my D700 and are indeed quite good. Was just wondering if there is anything much better or is it all about the same...

Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G
Aimhere
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?

Putting in my two cents' worth here...

Currently using the Custom SLR Split Strap with my D7100:

http://www.customslr.com/products/camera-split-strap

It's VERY soft and comfortable, the split design improves ventilation. Worn over the shoulder (but I use it around the neck too). Comes with two sets of modular straps (short and long). You can also buy a glide-strap for it, and attach it to the camera's tripod socket with their "C-Loop".

I use mine attached to the regular strap lugs on the camera, but I added S-Biners (http://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-MicroLock.asp) so I can detach and reattach the strap fairly quickly (useful when you want to use it with a tripod). (If you use a strap with S-Biners, though, make sure you get the locking kind!)

Aimhere's gear list:Aimhere's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX120 IS Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?

If it has eyelets (where metal rings go through) instead of strap slots, get a strap with some give to it.  Otherwise, the camera and a heavy lens can wear those eyelets.  I actually wore a eyelet right through (I didn't notice it) stupidly leaving a 300mm f/4.0 lens and the camera hanging off my shoulder.

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
egk4260
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
Strap for D4s

I have been happy with  UpStrap heavy duty QR strap with "vectran" loops on both D4 and D700 for the past two to three years. I have had no self release problems. I leave the short loops attached to the bodies. There is also a kevlar loop option for metal lug lenses and bodies where wear would be an issue. Those kevlar QR attachments are too long and bulky on the body for my liking. The strap has a large rubber pad which stays put and is comfortable except on bare skin.

I tried the kevlar QR loops on a 300 f/2.8 lens, but removed them as they seemed to be in the way the majority of the time and I was nervous about anything QR on lens/body combo that heavy.

Like most of you, I have a box of unused straps, slings, and connectors!

egk4260's gear list:egk4260's gear list
Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +2 more
Yorkshireman
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
Re: Strap for D4s
In reply to egk4260, 8 months ago

Take a look at Eddycam at www.eddycam.com.

Irwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,723
Like?

I've tried Kata, Optech, Upstrap, Blackrapid, among others. My new favorite is the Crumpler Convenient Disgrace. It's the most comfortable one I've tried.

overniteman
Contributing MemberPosts: 561
Like?
In reply to Irwin, 8 months ago

Crumpler Industry Disgrace

Cliff Fujii
Like?

Well, NIkon just released it's new strap for sale at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Nikon+Quick-draw&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +47 more
hikerdoc
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?

Cliff Fujii wrote:

Well, NIkon just released it's new strap for sale at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Nikon+Quick-draw&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Interesting! Has Nikon physically modified their cameras, which for years we have been told are not designed to be carried by the tripod mount? Can this strap be used on all those old cameras which, we are warned, will be damaged by these rigs and not covered by warranty? Was this weakness rectified by a profitable licensing arrangement?

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Cliff Fujii
Like?
In reply to hikerdoc, 8 months ago

I asked Nikon Service is there were any issues with using a sling type strap that screwed into the tripod socket (al la Black Rapid) a number of years ago.  The service tech looked through some papers and said using that type of strap would not void the warranty.  Apparently Nikon has gone one step further and collaborated with Black Rapid to make a sling type strap.  This strap is a bit different from the usual Black Rapid stuff.  The way I look at it, I can use it with my RRS B2-FABN by screwing the adapter into the 1/4-20 thread hole in the RRS clamp.  I suspect that I should get results similar to using the CS FS-Pro.

I did some looking and could not find any official document or technical paper that said that using a sling type strap would void the warranty.  With that in mind, I got the CS FS-Pro.  I noticed a lot of Canon professionals use the Black Rapid strap, so I guess there might be something to it.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

hikerdoc
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?

Cliff Fujii wrote:

I asked Nikon Service is there were any issues with using a sling type strap that screwed into the tripod socket (al la Black Rapid) a number of years ago. The service tech looked through some papers and said using that type of strap would not void the warranty. Apparently Nikon has gone one step further and collaborated with Black Rapid to make a sling type strap. This strap is a bit different from the usual Black Rapid stuff. The way I look at it, I can use it with my RRS B2-FABN by screwing the adapter into the 1/4-20 thread hole in the RRS clamp. I suspect that I should get results similar to using the CS FS-Pro.

I did some looking and could not find any official document or technical paper that said that using a sling type strap would void the warranty. With that in mind, I got the CS FS-Pro. I noticed a lot of Canon professionals use the Black Rapid strap, so I guess there might be something to it.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

There is apparently no set answer from Nikon as I asked the same question of Nikon support in 2011 and was told that the camera should not be carried on these slings, that lens and camera should be carried in a bag if conventional strap mount was not optimal, and that only this way could they "guarantee" performance. We have all heard of the term "impact damage". I just referred to the emails in my Nikon account.

I remain leery of the RRS option wherein one has a ring mounted carabiner mounted to the socket screw mounted to the RRS clamp mounted to the L-plate mounted to the tripod socket. That represents 5 potential failure points. My BR is long gone. The RRS clamp now attached to one of my monopods.

DWR

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Bandit57
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to ngtszhodavid, 7 months ago

No strap but nevertheless..

I am a big fan of Spiderholster, no dangling, bumping aso and very well crafted.

I even use it to carry a D7100 with 200-400 F/4 attached! (pin screwed in lensfoot)

Bandit57's gear list:Bandit57's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Nikon D3S Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Mk4doorigami
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

If you're looking for something inexpensive and no frills that works then the pro strap from Op/tech is always a nice bet http://www.uniquephoto.com/product/optech-pro-strap-black-with-3-8-webbing-connectors-1501012/ but with heavy lenses I would highly suggest more of a sling strap to relieve some of the weight. That being said, if fancy and proper Nikon is more your bag, their new strap in conjunction with Black Rapid is awesome. It is basically an even more robust version of their Sport Strap made with heavy full bodies and long lenses in mind

http://www.uniquephoto.com/product/nikon-black-rapid-quick-draw-strap94007/

ngtszhodavid
Like?
In reply to Mk4doorigami, 7 months ago

Mk4doorigami wrote:

If you're looking for something inexpensive and no frills that works then the pro strap from Op/tech is always a nice bet http://www.uniquephoto.com/product/optech-pro-strap-black-with-3-8-webbing-connectors-1501012/ but with heavy lenses I would highly suggest more of a sling strap to relieve some of the weight. That being said, if fancy and proper Nikon is more your bag, their new strap in conjunction with Black Rapid is awesome. It is basically an even more robust version of their Sport Strap made with heavy full bodies and long lenses in mind

http://www.uniquephoto.com/product/nikon-black-rapid-quick-draw-strap94007/

Thanks

Yea i've been deciding on the optech (which i had prevoiusly with my D700) or whether to try out those black rapid straps.  Have you personally tried the Nikon one? is it safe?

1KIND
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?

A slew of hand strap and camera straps that I reviewed - http://www.1kindphotography.com/p/reviews_2.html

Currently, my favorite is the Custom SLR Air Strap and Hand Strap. I switch on and off between the Luma Labs Cinch and Peak Design Leash.

I use the Peak Design Cuff for my point and shoot.

-- hide signature --

www.1kindphotography.com - Reviews
Equipment: Gripped Canon 5D Mark III | Canon G1 X Mark II
Lens: Canon 24-70mm f2.8L II | 50mm f1.4
Gear: Canon 600EX-RT; ST-E3-RT | Custom SLR M-Plate; Hand Strap; Air Strap | Peak Design CapturePRO; Leash | Spider Holster

1KIND's gear list:1KIND's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
overniteman
Contributing MemberPosts: 561
Like?
In reply to 1KIND, 7 months ago

Crumpler Industry Disgrace.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads