Continued to be amazed by low light performace from EM-1

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
DaveLemi
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?
Continued to be amazed by low light performace from EM-1
8 months ago

Ok, amazed is a little strong but there's nothing wrong with some Saturday morning hyperbole. This picture is a quick and casual shot of my cat cuddling with my daughter (very rare moment). I had the 12-40mm lens attached set to aperture priority and also have auto ISO set.

The picture isn't the greatest in the world, but I noticed it was shot at ISO 3200 and the quality of the image surprised me. Yes, if I took my time and set everything properly I could have got away with ISO 800 but 3200 is quite usable.

-- hide signature --

Some of my pics can be found here-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelemi

DaveLemi's gear list:DaveLemi's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Alex Notpro
Contributing MemberPosts: 775Gear list
Like?
nice
In reply to DaveLemi, 8 months ago
 Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DaveLemi
Like?
Re: nice
In reply to Alex Notpro, 8 months ago

Alex Notpro wrote:

any post-processing?

No- OOC JPG

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,351Gear list
Like?
Re: Continued to be amazed by low light performace from EM-1

Seems muchy and not very detailed to me. I'm sure you (and the camera) can do better than that.

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,275
Like?
In reply to photofan1986, 8 months ago

Hmmm, gotta say, I totally disagree. For an out of camera jpeg at iso 3200 it show very nice detail at 100%. And of course downsized it looks like it could be iso 200.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

bluevellet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780Gear list
Like?

photofan1986 wrote:

Seems muchy and not very detailed to me. I'm sure you (and the camera) can do better than that.

I've looked at the original file. Cats eyes are in focus. Shutter fast enough to freeze subjects (in this situation). Shooting at smaller apertures would have bumped up ISO or lowered shutter speed, I don't think it would have been worth whatever it was supposed to do. Shooting at a faster shutter speed for a lower ISO would have been risky too (noisy pics are better than blurry pics). In low light, you have to take the pics you can take.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon D610 +7 more
photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,351Gear list
Like?
In reply to jkrumm, 8 months ago

Well, it's certainly sharp in the sense of lack of motion but noise suppression makes details mushy. I get the same with my E-M5. My Panasonic GM1 is better, however. But what I mean is that it would have been better in RAW with some careful processing.

edit: Ok, it's not bad by any means, but it could have been even better with proper raw processing.

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
Dave Sanders
Contributing MemberPosts: 952Gear list
Like?

photofan1986 wrote:

Well, it's certainly sharp in the sense of lack of motion but noise suppression makes details mushy. I get the same with my E-M5. My Panasonic GM1 is better, however. But what I mean is that it would have been better in RAW with some careful processing.

Yes, RAW and careful processing produces some impressive results from the E-M1. I suspect the GM1 and EM1 have the same sensor. Here's one of a dashing male model at 12,800.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Robert Evagelista
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?

Wow you have all of my dream lenses

Robert Evagelista's gear list:Robert Evagelista's gear list
Olympus C-21 Casio QV-5700 Olympus D-340L Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 400D +5 more
DaveLemi
Like?
In reply to Robert Evagelista, 8 months ago

Robert Evagelista wrote:

Wow you have all of my dream lenses

I wish the PanLeica 42.5 wasn't so expensive, or better yet, I wish my wife didn't think that lens was so expensive.

The 75mm is probably my favorite right now since it's so capable capturing my kids indoor activities.

-- hide signature --

DaveLemi
Like?
In reply to Dave Sanders, 8 months ago

Dave Sanders wrote:

photofan1986 wrote:

Yes, RAW and careful processing produces some impressive results from the E-M1. I suspect the GM1 and EM1 have the same sensor. Here's one of a dashing male model at 12,800.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

12.8k- wow! Great picture

To demonstrate how far technology has come, here is a 17yr old scan of ISO 1600 B&W negative film-

-- hide signature --

David Fell
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?

Hi, I have to agree, I am pretty impressed with the ability of this camera to capture images of this calibre straight-out-of-the-box, I remember when 1000 ASA (ISO) was amazing for 35mm film. This below is from the GM1 just a simple grab shot using AI mode (Lumix GM1) and printed to A3+ is quite acceptable. Go to 100% I can see its not clean and could be enhanced, but I know there is no benefit as the printout will never resolve that level of detail. If I were to crop aggressively, then I'd be more limited.

All the best, David

David Fell's gear list:David Fell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads