Software on an Apple

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
bjzwaan
Contributing MemberPosts: 711
Like?
Software on an Apple
5 months ago

Hi all,

i recently acquired a X100 and am use a MacBook pro with OS Maverick runnend on it. leikleur to import the files  into the computer with a programme that allows me to  look at the camera and Jpeg settings. The Fuji viewer  does not run under my OS, so is there a (free) alternative? I have photoninja, but the Fuji settings are not visible here.

Thanks for your thoughts and time,

Bas

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,712Gear list
Like?
Re: Software on an Apple
In reply to bjzwaan, 5 months ago

iPhoto will provide some EXIF when you click on the Info icon. It's already on your Mac.

iPhoto Info panel

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edward Chatlos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,464Gear list
Like?

Fuji's MyFinePix certainly does run under OS X.

Look here.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/#viewer

Edward Chatlos's gear list:Edward Chatlos's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Edward Chatlos
Like?

I also suggest you stay away from Apple's iPhoto software.

That is if you like to keep the images you take. IMHO iPhoto, along with a lot of other Apple branded software, is some of the worst software available.

Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
In reply to Edward Chatlos, 5 months ago

Edward Chatlos wrote:

That is if you like to keep the images you take. IMHO iPhoto, along with a lot of other Apple branded software, is some of the worst software available.

Huh?  I've used iPhoto for years for basic manipulations and never lost a single original image. If you import (drag and drop) a file into the program the original is always left in its original folder. Don't tell me you direct import from your camera into iPhoto, work and save the original, losing the original?  How is that Apple's fault?

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 600
Like?

Edward Chatlos wrote:

I, along with millions of other people, use iPhoto extensively, with no issues. It's been my only archival/slideshow/media server app since it was first introduced. Library has been up to 50,000+ images.  Originally managed, now referenced. My wife uses it for editing, I use Aperture and Lightzone for edits. In all that time I cannot recall a single issue with the app.

Perhaps you could enlighten us about just what problems it has?

uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 600
Like?

If you want to get into the bowels of exif info, EXIF Viewer is free. The install requires Terminal but it's simple.

A more elegant approach is GraphicConverter. It has EXIF Viewer built in and allows you to customize what info is displayed. I've used GC as a browser for years. It's easy to use, fast once launched and has superb tools to compare or catalog images. It's my front-end before anything gets imported into Aperture. Also has a decent editing module based on DCRAW for renders. The DCRAW version can be updated if need be, another hack but simple.

Joytx4u
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
In reply to uniball, 5 months ago

Very true uniball, I stand by your words because I too, use iPhoto. Never had any issues with it in fact I love using it.

joytx4u

Chikubi
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?

You can open images in Preview and then use the Inspector(command-I) to view the EXIF info. I use this all the time when I'm teaching and displaying students' photos on the projector.

Jim King
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,699Gear list
Like?
In reply to uniball, 5 months ago

uniball wrote:

If you want to get into the bowels of exif info, EXIF Viewer is free. The install requires Terminal but it's simple.

A more elegant approach is GraphicConverter. It has EXIF Viewer built in and allows you to customize what info is displayed. I've used GC as a browser for years. It's easy to use, fast once launched and has superb tools to compare or catalog images. It's my front-end before anything gets imported into Aperture. Also has a decent editing module based on DCRAW for renders. The DCRAW version can be updated if need be, another hack but simple.

+1.  GraphicConverter is a very useful shareware program and it is updated with new features/bugfixes on a regular basis. I use it the same way you do.

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -4h (EDT)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Leica M9 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 +16 more
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,712Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chikubi, 5 months ago

Chikubi wrote:

You can open images in Preview and then use the Inspector(command-I) to view the EXIF info. I use this all the time when I'm teaching and displaying students' photos on the projector.

Great tip! Thanks.

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
RetiringGuy
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?

bjzwaan wrote:

Hi all,

i recently acquired a X100 and am use a MacBook pro with OS Maverick runnend on it. leikleur to import the files into the computer with a programme that allows me to look at the camera and Jpeg settings. The Fuji viewer does not run under my OS, so is there a (free) alternative? I have photoninja, but the Fuji settings are not visible here.

Thanks for your thoughts and time,

Bas

If you are happy to use the Terminal try using ExifTool ( http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ ).

It is very comprehensive and even allows you to change Exif settings.

RG

bjzwaan
Like?

Edward Chatlos wrote:

Look here.

Is that true?  Because then my problem world be solved.

I probably wasn't clearing enough, but I was aiming at the information for the camera settings, not the more universal exif  information. For that I guess I need Fuji software.

Cheers,

Bas

Edward Chatlos
Like?

bjzwaan wrote:

Edward Chatlos wrote:

Look here.

Is that true? Because then my problem world be solved.

I probably wasn't clearing enough, but I was aiming at the information for the camera settings, not the more universal exif information. For that I guess I need Fuji software.

Cheers,

Bas

Not sure you will get the actual camera settings you used for each shot even with the Fuji MyFinePix studio software installed.

I just opened it on my Win 7 PC and I don't even get the EXIF data.

What settings are you looking for? this is what I get in LR and Bridge.

dmaclau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,415Gear list
Like?

The Apple OS will read much of the info you are asking about.

I use Aperture.  In my opinion it's excellent, better to me than any of it's imitators, and I've tried most.  It's not free but from the App store it's about $80.  A bargain.  It shows camera settings (ISO, f-stop, shutter speed, +- EV.

dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-M1 +1 more
Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,938Gear list
Like?
MOD Note: Please keep it on topic

Everyone - Product bashing is OT, and goes against forum rules

Please keep it OT, and don't derail a useful thread

Thx.

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
bs1946
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list
Like?

Maverick is OSX 10.9. If you look at the Fuji site carefully, their software only supports OSX up to OSX 10.6. I have the same problem with PC AutoSave that supports WiFi on my X-A1. Will not work with OSX 10.9.

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
bjzwaan
Like?

Edward Chatlos wrote:

bjzwaan wrote:

Edward Chatlos wrote:

Look here.

I probably wasn't clearing enough, but I was aiming at the information for the camera settings, not the more universal exif information. For that I guess I need Fuji software.

Cheers,

Bas

Not sure you will get the actual camera settings you used for each shot even with the Fuji MyFinePix studio software installed.

I just opened it on my Win 7 PC and I don't even get the EXIF data.

What settings are you looking for? this is what I get in LR and Bridge.

Thanks for the feedback. What I am looking for are the settings such as colour mode, highlight and shadow etc. It is important for me to learn what the effects are in the image. Silly of Fuji not to keep their software up to date.

Cheers, Bas

Edward Chatlos
Like?

bjzwaan wrote:

Edward Chatlos wrote:

bjzwaan wrote:

Edward Chatlos wrote:

Look here.

Cheers,

Bas

Thanks for the feedback. What I am looking for are the settings such as colour mode, highlight and shadow etc. It is important for me to learn what the effects are in the image. Silly of Fuji not to keep their software up to date.

Cheers, Bas

Not sure you will ever see those things you list. They are In Camera adjustment for Jpeg only.

When using RAW image data all those things can be changed in post.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads