CarrySpeed users - Material failure (suggest you check immediately)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
amateurphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
CarrySpeed users - Material failure (suggest you check immediately)
5 months ago

I have the Carry Speed FS Pro (wide shoulder strap) with the F1 folding mounting plate.

Have used this item very frequently 1yr for event photography work. The plate is attached to a D4 with 24-70 + SB910 and sometimes 70-200.

The shoulder strap is excellent and no pain on the shoulder or neck after prolong continuous usage.

Strap is more comfortable than the Black Rapid, but also I could adjust the strap length from the front, unlike the Black Rapid.

IMPORTANT PART MUST READ - Today I decided to give a detailed examination of my Carry Speed FS, in particular the metal attachment (with screw "sheath") that connects to the ballhead of the mounting plate. I noticed that the attachment (item which you screw over the ballhead) was showing signs of wear, such that eventually the ballhead will not be contained within the socket and would fall straight out, even when the locking "sheath" has been screwed down. This is of course is due to poor materials (possibly not using hardened steel) or sub quality in the copy I have. I am however a heavy user and the camera is max weight, but this shouldn't be an issue.

What I suggest is that Carry Speed users check there are no signs of wear of their ballhead socket such that their camera will eventually fall out, even when the attachment is screwed down over the socket.

I do use a buckled camera neck strap, and when shortened put the strap through the carry speed strap as a backup. I will write to their rep and see what they can do to somehow replace this worn part.

I know there is a lengthy discussion on Carry Speed further down. Didn't read all and not sure whether others have the same problem.

Hope this is useful.

Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
amateurphotographer
Like?
Re: CarrySpeed users - Material wear (suggest you check immediately)
In reply to amateurphotographer, 5 months ago

Sorry folks, "material failure" is incorrect as not an instantaneous failure.   Changed to wear and tear.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amateurphotographer
Like?
Re: CarrySpeed users - Material wear (suggest you check immediately)

Worn area at the neck holding the ballhead - suggest you check

Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,634Gear list
Like?
Re: CarrySpeed users - Material failure (suggest you check immediately)

It looks like CarrySpeed is out of the strap business. Black Rapid sued them for using their patents without compensation. I have a couple of FS Pro straps and noted your issue a while back. I removed all of the Carry Speed hardware and replaced it with an RRS Arca Swiss clamp. It was designed for straps like the FS Pro and it provides a solid connection to an Arca Swiss compatible plate that has to be mounted on the camera.  If you want to, make sure that your camera strap has limit screws installed.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-FABN-38mm-Screw-knob-clamp-with-strap-bosses.html

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +51 more
amateurphotographer
Like?
In reply to Cliff Fujii, 5 months ago

Cliff Fujii wrote:

It looks like CarrySpeed is out of the strap business. Black Rapid sued them for using their patents without compensation. I have a couple of FS Pro straps and noted your issue a while back. I removed all of the Carry Speed hardware and replaced it with an RRS Arca Swiss clamp. It was designed for straps like the FS Pro and it provides a solid connection to an Arca Swiss compatible plate that has to be mounted on the camera. If you want to, make sure that your camera strap has limit screws installed.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-FABN-38mm-Screw-knob-clamp-with-strap-bosses.html

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Thanks Cliff for your suggestion. From your experience did you find any issues with the actual position of the plate + camera against the side of your body when walking or rushing around.  What camera body + lens were you using the RSS system with?  I am using a D4 + 24 70 + SB910   or   70-200+SB910, quite bulky and heavy gear .    I can see my flash pointing outwards, rather than downwards when not in use and I guess more likely to get bashed in a crowded event.  Also how did you find it moving from the waist position to actually using it?   Be great to hear your  experience with this RSS device in use and if you envisage any issues if using the D4 + bulky lens + flash.

Thanks in advance

Cliff Fujii
Like?

I was using the FS Pro with my D800 camera with the 24-120 f/4 or 70-200 f/2.8 lenses.  That was before I knew that there was a 5lb limit on weight imposed by the manufacturer.  I tried all of their plates including the one with the swivel ball (which I disliked the most).  What really irritated me was that I had to remove my RRS camera plate when using the FS Pro and the CarrySpeed Arca Swiss compatible adapter was not really great.  The CS camera plate was designed to fit all cameras so it actually fit none.  I tried to put the CS ball on the RRS camera plate but it was a pain to remove the ball when I wanted to mount the camera on a tripod.  I finally gave up and modified my Version 1 strap to take the RRS B2-FABN clamp.  It worked really great.  I had a hitch on my FS Pro so the I could shorten the strap when I needed to so that it wouldn't bump.  when I started using the camera, I would lengthen the strap and had no issues in bring up the strap to the shooting position.

Most people would not care but I did at the time.  The reason why you got the wear in the ball and socket was that your camera, lens, and flash weighed over 5lbs.  I sometimes took a ThinkTank waist pack and placed the lens and camera in it while I was moving around.  I didn't do it often but it does work.  The RRS clamp does weigh more than the CS plate and ball so if you are sensitive to weight, this might bother you.  I usually planned my moves and didn't often change my plans.  If you are a sports photographer, I can see where moving around quickly might be necessary.  Since I never had to do this, I really can't give an objective opinion.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +51 more
amateurphotographer
Like?
In reply to Cliff Fujii, 5 months ago

Cliff Fujii wrote:

I was using the FS Pro with my D800 camera with the 24-120 f/4 or 70-200 f/2.8 lenses. That was before I knew that there was a 5lb limit on weight imposed by the manufacturer. I tried all of their plates including the one with the swivel ball (which I disliked the most). What really irritated me was that I had to remove my RRS camera plate when using the FS Pro and the CarrySpeed Arca Swiss compatible adapter was not really great. The CS camera plate was designed to fit all cameras so it actually fit none. I tried to put the CS ball on the RRS camera plate but it was a pain to remove the ball when I wanted to mount the camera on a tripod. I finally gave up and modified my Version 1 strap to take the RRS B2-FABN clamp. It worked really great. I had a hitch on my FS Pro so the I could shorten the strap when I needed to so that it wouldn't bump. when I started using the camera, I would lengthen the strap and had no issues in bring up the strap to the shooting position.

Most people would not care but I did at the time. The reason why you got the wear in the ball and socket was that your camera, lens, and flash weighed over 5lbs. I sometimes took a ThinkTank waist pack and placed the lens and camera in it while I was moving around. I didn't do it often but it does work. The RRS clamp does weigh more than the CS plate and ball so if you are sensitive to weight, this might bother you. I usually planned my moves and didn't often change my plans. If you are a sports photographer, I can see where moving around quickly might be necessary. Since I never had to do this, I really can't give an objective opinion.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Thanks Cliff for your insight.

Cliff Fujii
Like?

Oh one other thing, I don't use a lens hood so that made lenses like the 70-200 f/2.8 somewhat shorter. I also use a Op/Tech Converter Cap, Filter Cap, or Fast Cap in place of the lens cover on all of my lenses.

http://optechusa.com/accessories/converter-cap.html

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads