Sony A7/R Camera Bag and Strap?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
EvilKarma
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
Sony A7/R Camera Bag and Strap?
5 months ago

Will be looking for a small but big enough bag for my A7 + kit lens + 55mm + batteries, filters, hood, and maybe enough room for an ipad mini and a water bottle if possible.

Must be fashionable, so no typical black zipper camera bag. I see some pretty good looking ones and decent priced at Etsy, wondering if anyone knows of any other places? And do you think I need that big insert where it's designed to fit your body and lenses? Seems really bulky...

http://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/165218374/genuine-cow-leather-canvas-bag-camera?ref=sr_gallery_9&ga_search_query=camera+bag+leather&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ship_to=CA&ga_page=6&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Something like that works for me, or a leather one. But it doesn't have the padded insert. Probably not enough protection huh?

http://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/171723054/c113-peru-leather-camera-bag-w-shoulder?ref=sr_gallery_22&ga_search_query=camera+bag+leather&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ship_to=CA&ga_page=8&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

This one is real nice too, lot's of compartments and pockets. Just seems really boxy and bulky with that insert.

Opinions?

EvilKarma's gear list:EvilKarma's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jfu0612
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Manfrotto Unica I
In reply to EvilKarma, 5 months ago

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=999779&gclid=CN3_g8v9_L0CFU4R7Aod5T4A5Q&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I have this bag and I can fit A7 with 3 more lens and F20M flash and a few battery.  It also has space for iPad too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EvilKarma
Like?
Re: Manfrotto Unica I
In reply to jfu0612, 5 months ago

jfu0612 wrote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=999779&gclid=CN3_g8v9_L0CFU4R7Aod5T4A5Q&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I have this bag and I can fit A7 with 3 more lens and F20M flash and a few battery. It also has space for iPad too.

Not bad! Doesn't look very bulky. But it's white, will get dirty for sure.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/999781-REG/manfrotto_mb_sm390_3bc_unica_iii_messenger_bungee.html/prm/alsVwDtl

I like this one though. Hmm....How stiff is the bag with that padding?

ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A7/R Camera Bag and Strap?

my search for a smallish bag was for an a6000 with kit+3 primes and some cleaning stuff/filters/batteries but they might work for you. They are similar in size to the ones you linked but I'm not sure they'd fit an ipad mini.

Domke f-5xb

Think Tank Retrospective 5

ONA the bowery (comes in all leather or canvas with leather accents)

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
EvilKarma
Like?
In reply to ryan92084, 5 months ago

ryan92084 wrote:

my search for a smallish bag was for an a6000 with kit+3 primes and some cleaning stuff/filters/batteries but they might work for you. They are similar in size to the ones you linked but I'm not sure they'd fit an ipad mini.

Domke f-5xb

The Domke would be alright if you didn't have to advertise that name on your bag.

I love the ONAs, looks like a good fit, but it's expensive and it seems like a really small bag. I'm 6'2 I think it would look weird lol but the design is just what I'm looking for, just wish it were bigger.

Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,165
Like?

EvilKarma wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

Domke f-5xb

The Domke would be alright if you didn't have to advertise that name on your bag.

A $2 seam ripper solves that problem and the same kind forever.

EvilKarma
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, 5 months ago

True haha

He did however get me real interested in this as I was browsing the rest of the site:

http://www.onabags.com/store/small-goods/the-presidio-camera-strap.html?color=antique-cognac#antique-cognac

Love it. But a hundred bucks for a strap? Come on =/

Kevin Mayer
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?

I love the ONAs, looks like a good fit, but it's expensive and it seems like a really small bag. I'm 6'2 I think it would look weird lol but the design is just what I'm looking for, just wish it were bigger.

I am over six feet and have the ONA and love it. Have a7r plus 55 and 35 Lenes. Amazing quality, perfect size.

ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?

EvilKarma wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

Domke f-5xb

Agreed about the price on the ONA. That probably would have been my choice otherwise. Even more so for the think tank.

I ended up buying the domke in the ruggedwear brown color (the savings went toward another piece of legacy glass). About 1 minute with a seam ripper and a cutting device removes the label.

Good luck in your search

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
EvilKarma
Like?
In reply to Kevin Mayer, 5 months ago

Kevin Mayer wrote:

I am over six feet and have the ONA and love it. Have a7r plus 55 and 35 Lenes. Amazing quality, perfect size.

Oh yeah? Let me ask you this. Would you rather go out with a strap for the camera or a bag? I know it would depend but what does everyone usually prefer? When you bring a bag and you take the camera out, do you just hold it with your bare hands? Take a couple shots and put it back?

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,322Gear list
Like?

EvilKarma wrote:

Kevin Mayer wrote:

Oh yeah? Let me ask you this. Would you rather go out with a strap for the camera or a bag? I know it would depend but what does everyone usually prefer? When you bring a bag and you take the camera out, do you just hold it with your bare hands? Take a couple shots and put it back?

I like to have a bag and when I pull out my A7 I wear a wrist strap before I pull it out. I've read too many stories of cameras being dropped. Typically I go out with 2 lenses; 1 on my camera and one just in case. I have the ThinkTank Retrospective 5 for my camera and extra lens. But the 7 might be perfect for you:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-bags/retrospective.aspx

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
EvilKarma
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, 5 months ago

sean lancaster wrote:

EvilKarma wrote:

Kevin Mayer wrote:

I like to have a bag and when I pull out my A7 I wear a wrist strap before I pull it out. I've read too many stories of cameras being dropped. Typically I go out with 2 lenses; 1 on my camera and one just in case. I have the ThinkTank Retrospective 5 for my camera and extra lens. But the 7 might be perfect for you:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-bags/retrospective.aspx

-- hide signature --

what kind of wrist strap for the a7?

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,322Gear list
Like?

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com

With the lug mount.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
J Yohan
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
check these straps.
 J Yohan's gear list:J Yohan's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM
locke42
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?

EvilKarma wrote:

Will be looking for a small but big enough bag for my A7 + kit lens + 55mm + batteries, filters, hood, and maybe enough room for an ipad mini and a water bottle if possible.

Must be fashionable, so no typical black zipper camera bag. I see some pretty good looking ones and decent priced at Etsy, wondering if anyone knows of any other places? And do you think I need that big insert where it's designed to fit your body and lenses? Seems really bulky...

http://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/165218374/genuine-cow-leather-canvas-bag-camera?ref=sr_gallery_9&ga_search_query=camera+bag+leather&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ship_to=CA&ga_page=6&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Something like that works for me, or a leather one. But it doesn't have the padded insert. Probably not enough protection huh?

http://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/171723054/c113-peru-leather-camera-bag-w-shoulder?ref=sr_gallery_22&ga_search_query=camera+bag+leather&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ship_to=CA&ga_page=8&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

This one is real nice too, lot's of compartments and pockets. Just seems really boxy and bulky with that insert.

Opinions?

I went with an old reliable:

Billingham Hadley Pro (black canvas + chocolate leather trim)

The Hadley Pro has been my go-to bag for years. I have the insert divided into thirds, so that my A7 + 55mm + batteries go into one compartment, my laptop charger + USB cables + external batteries (for my phone) goes into a second compartment, and my 18-oz coffee thermos or a Nalgene water bottle goes into the third compartment. Then my MacBook Air slides into the space behind the insert. The two front pockets can hold my Kindle + pens + passport in one pocket, and miscellaneous items in the second pocket, while the slash pocket in the back holds my iPad Mini.

The best thing about this bag (apart from its small size yet surprisingly large and versatile capacity) is that it's SILENT. No velcro to rip open to get your camera, no metal latches to clank and click when you fumble with them, etc. Just yank the leather tabs, fold back the flap, and you have access to your camera.

Artisan and Artist cloth neck strap.

locke42's gear list:locke42's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8
SimonWilder
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?

I'd been looking in to which bag to get for my A7R + 35 + 55 + 24-70 and went with the Billingham Hadley Small, I already had the Thinktank Retrospective 5 but it was a little too small to fit everything comfortably plus it isn't waterproof although it does come with a cover, I do like the Thinktank Retrospective 5 but that bag itself is quite heavy when compared to the Billingham Hadley Small

EvilKarma
Like?
Re: check these straps.
In reply to J Yohan, 5 months ago

J Yohan wrote:

check these straps. https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/159688812/custom-leather-camera-strap-handmade?ref=shop_home_active_19

Wow great find. Those look gorgeous! Unfortunately I do not trust how secure that strap is. All it takes is the right wiggle for that little metal round piece to pop out the leather hole and your camera comes crashing down. Why can't I find something that is both stylish but yet practical and secure?

Miguel Teotonio
Regular MemberPosts: 271Gear list
Like?

I have the retrospective 5 and carry my A7 plus 3 lenses. Lots of pockets. Very fashionable!

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/product-images/xlarge/Feature-Retrospective-5-Pinestone-14.jpg

-- hide signature --
 Miguel Teotonio's gear list:Miguel Teotonio's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +2 more
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,851
Like?

EvilKarma wrote:

Something like that works for me, or a leather one. But it doesn't have the padded insert.

buy an inconspicuous messenger bag that looks good, and then buy the camera insert separately (~$30-40 on adorama, etc.)

Probably not enough protection huh?

Opinions?

EvilKarma
Like?
Good idea
In reply to miro3, 5 months ago

I thought about this just now actually. They're even 15-20 on eBay. I could use my own bag:

Maybe I will try that first. Only downside is this bag has thick heavy leather. Might give it a go.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads