Fuji RAF files are bigger than the JPG...cropping!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
David Strachan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,180Gear list
Like?
Fuji RAF files are bigger than the JPG...cropping!
8 months ago

Hi

I'm having trouble viewing my full sized RAF files from my XE-1. Only FastStone shows them at the right size.

Even in Silkypix the RAF file crops to the JPG size. So I cannot convert anything in RAF at full size...the JPG is always cropped on the top and bottom, and on the sides.

See below...

I've done some considerable web searching...but cannot find much about crop/size/display problem.

As I say even the native converter, Silkypix Raw File Converter Ex, does not open or even display for work, the full size raw file...always crops to JPG size.

I prefer the perspective from the RAF vs the reduced JPG size. The wider and deeper RAF files look more to work with and distortions are easy to work with now in PP.

I'm aware there is a workaround in Lightroom, which unfortunately I am on CS4 so the latest raw decoders for Fuji don't work. I've tried Lightroom several times but always take it off my computer.

Can we do an experiment...

Perhaps someone would like to open a Fuji RAF in the latest Lightroom, to see if it shows full image??

Can anyone offer advice?? Or thoughts on this matter? I want my full image file back!!!

Is there a way to work with the full image??

Your advice sought with thanks.

cheers Dave S

PS image from one actuation of shutter JPG+RAF, Fujinon 18mm f2 @ f2.0

David Strachan's gear list:David Strachan's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Leica M8 Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
photogeek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,380
Like?
Re: Fuji RAF files are bigger than the JPG...cropping!
In reply to David Strachan, 8 months ago

That's because it's not the "right size". Your camera applies digital distortion correction to JPEG. It also puts correction information into the RAW file, so if your software can take advantage of it (which it will, in the case of LR or Aperture at least), it will be applied to your conversion.

This makes it possible to create smaller/lighter lenses. Fuji designs them under-corrected, and uses digital correction.

David Strachan wrote:

Hi

I'm having trouble viewing my full sized RAF files from my XE-1. Only FastStone shows them at the right size.

Even in Silkypix the RAF file crops to the JPG size. So I cannot convert anything in RAF at full size...the JPG is always cropped on the top and bottom, and on the sides.

See below...

I've done some considerable web searching...but cannot find much about crop/size/display problem.

As I say even the native converter, Silkypix Raw File Converter Ex, does not open or even display for work, the full size raw file...always crops to JPG size.

I prefer the perspective from the RAF vs the reduced JPG size. The wider and deeper RAF files look more to work with and distortions are easy to work with now in PP.

I'm aware there is a workaround in Lightroom, which unfortunately I am on CS4 so the latest raw decoders for Fuji don't work. I've tried Lightroom several times but always take it off my computer.

Perhaps someone would like to open a Fuji RAF in the latest Lightroom, to see if it shows full image??

Can anyone offer advice?? Or thoughts on this matter? I want my full image file back!!!

cheers Dave S

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sw88
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

Yup, if you look carefully (it is pretty obvious though), the distortion of the painting on the wall is gone!

Conrad567
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?
In reply to photogeek, 8 months ago

Yep...look at the difference in the coffee table, the curvature is gone in the j-peg.  BTW not all fuji lenses digitally correct.  But both zooms do.  The 14mm for example is corrected optically.

photogeek wrote:

That's because it's not the "right size". Your camera applies digital distortion correction to JPEG. It also puts correction information into the RAW file, so if your software can take advantage of it (which it will, in the case of LR or Aperture at least), it will be applied to your conversion.

This makes it possible to create smaller/lighter lenses. Fuji designs them under-corrected, and uses digital correction.

David Strachan wrote:

Hi

See below...

cheers Dave S

Conrad567's gear list:Conrad567's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +8 more
David Strachan
Like?
In reply to sw88, 8 months ago

Thanks guys.

I wonder if I'm still getting a 20mm lens field of view...I think cropped, I'll  have to live with if I can't get full uncorrected view (RAF).  Id wondered about the lens correction.

I just want it without the correction.  RAW openers should show uncorrected raw files such as RAF.  It should not be cropped in a raw editor editor before applying lens corrections..

As I say it opens in FastStone without any corrections, not in bridge, or CS4, or other file viewers.

I really just want the full size from the RAF files.

cheers Dave S

Edward Chatlos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,803Gear list
Like?

It is not a crop problem. Most all RAW converters are using the Fuji lens corrections and Faststone isn't.

See how the table is curved in your first image? That is with FastStone, Correct? it isn't doing any distortion corrections.

Are you getting Less in the image than what is being shown in the viewfinder or the LCD screen.

Here is a series of shots. First is the Jpeg from the camera, second is the RAF converted to Jpeg, third is a Picture of the LCD screen before the shot was take and forth is a shot of what the LCD displays by viewing the shot.

OOC Jpeg.

RAF converted to Jpeg for posting.

What is displayed on the LCD before the shot was taken.

What is displayed when Viewing the shot.

In all honesty they all look the same. Even what is displayed on the LCD screen before and after, when viewing, the shot.

Sorry to say but you are making way to much out of this and you are using the wrong viewing program.

Edward Chatlos's gear list:Edward Chatlos's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Edward Chatlos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,803Gear list
Like?

Take One Step backwards, you'll get more in the shot.

You are getting exactly what you are seeing in the viewfinder or what is displayed on the LCD screen.

See my other post below.

Edward Chatlos's gear list:Edward Chatlos's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
David Strachan
Like?

I want all the wide RAF file to work with. I don't want to step back. I just want those extra side pixels which I should be getting with my XE-1 and the native raw converter. That way I'm getting the full width that I should be with this lens..I'd really like my full 18mm width, and it's base character.

But it looks like the impossible dream. I can view and save in FastStone to JPG or TIFF but not save to DNG or RAF....I still get the full sized image that way; but just no longer in a raw file..

cheers Dave S

Carefully study the comparison images I posted in OP. I prefer without corrections...if I could

Edward, thanks for the pics but they don't address the information. Your viewers are also opening the "crippled" image. They are all just the manufactured JPG, and are missing this extra non-corrected information which can be viewed in FastStone. I do not have any other file browsers which open this "corrected" image in it's "uncorrected" view.

Sebastien Guyader
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?

The RAF files are not cropped themselves. They retain everything, including distortion in the field of view. However, within the RAF file there will always be a JPG thumbnail, which has been corrected for distortion in-camera.

When you simply view your raw files in any converter, what the preview shows is in fact the embedded JPG, corrected for distorsion. With any RAW converter that recongnizes Fuji's lens distorion data, when you develop the RAF file it actually does some distortion correction in-computer. I don't use LR nor ACR, so I don't know if you can disable lens distortion correction, I hope it is possible.

Otherwise, develop your RAF files with a program which doesn't auto-correct lens distortion (but remember that even in those converters you will probably see a corrected preview, that of the embedded JPG).

Sebastien Guyader's gear list:Sebastien Guyader's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Gimp +2 more
David Strachan
Like?
In reply to Sebastien Guyader, 8 months ago

Thanks Sebastien

You are on the right track.

Looks like I can only develop to a simple JPG, or Tiff,  and no PSD, DNG, Or useable RAF.

cheersĀ  Dave S

David Strachan
Like?

I have found Photo Ninja does give the whole image before lens correction.

So I have purchased it and finding the work flow etc very comfortable; opens all raw files fully uncropped.

Thanks for your comments.

cheersĀ  Dave S

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads