A6000- Just picked it up. Question on focus

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
starstreak
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
A6000- Just picked it up. Question on focus
8 months ago

Ok, excited to get the camera today (Best Buy pre-order came in yesterday) and I'm shooting a stationary object with the default lens.  I have manual focus point on the object, I'm shooting in A mode at f10 @1/10 and it's about 1.5ft away.  I have anti-shake off, and camera is on the table as I push the shutter.

I HAD a 5n until the screen cracked I could do that same shot and it would be in focus.  I prefocus then click the shot.  The object is slightly blurry.  I tried a few shots and one of 3 shots came out sharp.  I went to F8 and still having same issue.  Am I doing something wrong or forgetting to turn off something?

-- hide signature --

I make spelling errors. Ignore it. You're not my spelling teacher.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
Re: A6000- Just picked it up. Question on focus
In reply to starstreak, 8 months ago

you say your are using a manual focus point does that mean you are using flexible spot autofocus or manual focus?

assuming the former a few have reported AF-s is less accurate than AF-C for focus (even though it should be the opposite) so give that a try.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
starstreak
Like?
In reply to ryan92084, 8 months ago

you say your are using a manual focus point does that mean you are using flexible spot autofocus or manual focus?

assuming the former a few have reported AF-s is less accurate than AF-C for focus (even though it should be the opposite) so give that a try.

I'm using the flexi-spot where you can pick a spot to auto focus. I'll mess with the AF-C/AF-S. Not sure what I have it to.
--

NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,348Gear list
Like?

starstreak wrote:

Ok, excited to get the camera today (Best Buy pre-order came in yesterday) and I'm shooting a stationary object with the default lens. I have manual focus point on the object, I'm shooting in A mode at f10 @1/10 and it's about 1.5ft away. I have anti-shake off, and camera is on the table as I push the shutter.

1/10 shutter speed. Are you for real? Or is this a joke?

I HAD a 5n until the screen cracked I could do that same shot and it would be in focus. I prefocus then click the shot. The object is slightly blurry. I tried a few shots and one of 3 shots came out sharp. I went to F8 and still having same issue. Am I doing something wrong or forgetting to turn off something?

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

" All you need is love"

starstreak
Like?
In reply to NeilJones, 8 months ago

Neil- I think that's what the shutter speed was. ISO was 400. At the moment it was just to see how the focus was. Not so much for brightness or subject matter.
--

ryan92084
Like?

starstreak wrote:

Neil- I think that's what the shutter speed was. ISO was 400. At the moment it was just to see how the focus was. Not so much for brightness or subject matter.
--

What I think he's trying to get at (and a point I would have made if I had noticed) is that 1/10 isn't a particularly reasonable shutter speed to hand hold without at least some bursting to get one of the shots without motion blur from your own movement.  OSS helps but it doesn't mean you can shoot that slow and expect perfect shots.

dquangt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,037
Like?

Ok, excited to get the camera today (Best Buy pre-order came in yesterday) and I'm shooting a stationary object with the default lens.  I have manual focus point on the object, I'm shooting in A mode at f10 @1/10 and it's about 1.5ft away.  I have anti-shake off, and camera is on the table as I push the shutter.

I HAD a 5n until the screen cracked I could do that same shot and it would be in focus.  I prefocus then click the shot.  The object is slightly blurry.  I tried a few shots and one of 3 shots came out sharp.  I went to F8 and still having same issue.  Am I doing something wrong or forgetting to turn off something?

-- hide signature --

As Neil pointed out 1/10 is really slow. I didn't see you mention that you are using the timer. I don't think the focus is the issue assuming you focused correctly, it's more like camera shake as you are pushing down the shutter button. Try to use 2 second timer, then get back to us.

ryan92084
Like?

ryan92084 wrote:

starstreak wrote:

--

What I think he's trying to get at (and a point I would have made if I had noticed) is that 1/10 isn't a particularly reasonable shutter speed to hand hold without at least some bursting to get one of the shots without motion blur from your own movement. OSS helps but it doesn't mean you can shoot that slow and expect perfect shots.

Bah, my reading skills are way down tonight I didn't notice or just forgot about the table.  I'd edit or withdraw this post if I could but the time limits on this forum are really tight.

Anyway you used a table for the 1/10 which may or may not work depending on the stability of the table and the environment you are in.  Also, as another poster mentioned, use a timer otherwise your shutter press is moving the camera.

Good luck and sorry for sounding like a doofus in my quoted post.

starstreak
Like?

starstreak wrote:

--

What I think he's trying to get at (and a point I would have made if I had noticed) is that 1/10 isn't a particularly reasonable shutter speed to hand hold without at least some bursting to get one of the shots without motion blur from your own movement.  OSS helps but it doesn't mean you can shoot that slow and expect perfect shots.

As i mention,I turned off the OSS. And the camera is sitting on the table. ALSO, I'm putting slight pressure down either one hand and pushing the shutter with other hand so I don't move the camera.
--

starstreak
Like?

ryan92084 wrote:

starstreak wrote:

--

What I think he's trying to get at (and a point I would have made if I had noticed) is that 1/10 isn't a particularly reasonable shutter speed to hand hold without at least some bursting to get one of the shots without motion blur from your own movement. OSS helps but it doesn't mean you can shoot that slow and expect perfect shots.

Bah, my reading skills are way down tonight I didn't notice or just forgot about the table.  I'd edit or withdraw this post if I could but the time limits on this forum are really tight.

Anyway you used a table for the 1/10 which may or may not work depending on the stability of the table and the environment you are in.  Also, as another poster mentioned, use a timer otherwise your shutter press is moving the camera.

Good luck and sorry for sounding like a doofus in my quoted post.

I replied to your previous post. Lol. But the table doesn't move. It's mounted to the wall.

Btw, camera was set to AF-A. When I get back to work tomorrow, I'll try setting it to AF-S. Maybe it was trying to re-focus as I pushed the shutter down completely?
--

Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,237Gear list
Like?

ryan92084 wrote:

This blows my mind.  I've been doing a lot of precious AF-S accuracy testing and it is absolutely bullet-proof perfect.  I can do macro shots that were previously impossible with my NEX-6.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
ryan92084
Like?
In reply to Bart Hickman, 8 months ago

Bart Hickman wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

This blows my mind. I've been doing a lot of precious AF-S accuracy testing and it is absolutely bullet-proof perfect. I can do macro shots that were previously impossible with my NEX-6.

Bart

-- hide signature --

I've seen two fairly solid tests (one here and one on a French forum) showing it with the 18-200.  The user who reported it here also says they have it on some other lenses.  Can't say I've noticed it myself but I don't have an 18-200 to test.

Bart Hickman
Like?

ryan92084 wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

This blows my mind. I've been doing a lot of precious AF-S accuracy testing and it is absolutely bullet-proof perfect. I can do macro shots that were previously impossible with my NEX-6.

Bart

-- hide signature --

I've seen two fairly solid tests (one here and one on a French forum) showing it with the 18-200. The user who reported it here also says they have it on some other lenses. Can't say I've noticed it myself but I don't have an 18-200 to test.

Interesting.  I only have the "trio"--10-18, 16-50, and 55-210.  All perfect.  Maybe there's some lens or camera bug pertaining to some lenses.

Bart

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
starstreak
Like?

Ok, I set it to AF-S (single focus).  I think it was AF-A(it chooses if its on a stationary or moving object).  And now it focuses correctly.  5 shots are clear.  When I had it on AF-A, 2 of 5 shots was slightly out of focus.

-- hide signature --

Bart Hickman
Like?

starstreak wrote:

Ok, I set it to AF-S (single focus). I think it was AF-A(it chooses if its on a stationary or moving object). And now it focuses correctly. 5 shots are clear. When I had it on AF-A, 2 of 5 shots was slightly out of focus.

-- hide signature --

Unless someone has found a good use for it (I haven't), it's best to just avoid AF-A IMO.

Bart

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads