Uh oh. What did I do? A6000/16-70 purchase.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
trax87
Regular MemberPosts: 381
Like?
Uh oh. What did I do? A6000/16-70 purchase.
7 months ago

I'm only half joking.  Lol.  Not sure how it happened exactly.  I have a NEX 6 that I am very happy with, along with a few lenses.  I basically have everything covered from ultra wide with the 16mm and adapter  through the 55-210 plus the 35/1.8 prime.  I had been considering the 16-70z, but thought it was a little pricey.  I also was thinking about a DSLR for better AF and/or either a DSLR or m4/3 for greater lens and accessory options.

Next thing I know B&H offers A $300 discount on the 16-70 and A6000 combo.  I wasn't yet sure if I was going to buy the 16-70 and had all but decided not to upgrade the NEX at this point.  But there I was pushing the buy button!  And I don't usually do things like that.

Oh well.  It's still on pre-order, so I guess I'll have some time to consider my actions :).

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sam Rijver
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Uh oh. What did I do? A6000/16-70 purchase.
In reply to trax87, 7 months ago

That's cool. I'm looking forward to following your experience with this lens.

-- hide signature --
 Sam Rijver's gear list:Sam Rijver's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Pixelmator Chameleon +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,851Gear list
Like?

That $300 off the SEL1670Z got a lot of us, didn't it?

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +18 more
Pat Whittingham
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?

All depends on what you are doing.

I like mine just fine thank you for family and travel.

Will use an A7r/35/55/24-70 for more serious work (portrait and landscape) but the A6000/16-70 is a very enjoyable combination. I actually prefer this to my OLY E-M1/12-40 due to the wider zoom range and equally or faster focus (in reasonable light).

Pat Whittingham's gear list:Pat Whittingham's gear list
Sony RX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax K-5 II Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 +12 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

trax87 wrote:

I'm only half joking. Lol. Not sure how it happened exactly. I have a NEX 6 that I am very happy with, along with a few lenses. I basically have everything covered from ultra wide with the 16mm and adapter through the 55-210 plus the 35/1.8 prime. I had been considering the 16-70z, but thought it was a little pricey. I also was thinking about a DSLR for better AF and/or either a DSLR or m4/3 for greater lens and accessory options.

Next thing I know B&H offers A $300 discount on the 16-70 and A6000 combo. I wasn't yet sure if I was going to buy the 16-70 and had all but decided not to upgrade the NEX at this point. But there I was pushing the buy button! And I don't usually do things like that.

Oh well. It's still on pre-order, so I guess I'll have some time to consider my actions :).

You will not regret !

5nex7's gear list:5nex7's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
OhioMom08
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

I've been shooting with this combo for almost a week now. It's been amazing! For what it's worth, I'm not a pro and I'm using the AFC to track small children - not birds in flight, or dogs running in the park. I've been happy enough with the A6000's AF performance to say I'm done with my DSLR. The A6000 combined with 16-70Z gives me results close enough to my Canon DSLR with 24-70L lens in a much smaller package and (in my opinion) a much more pleasurable user experience thanks to the EVF/live view and face tracking feature. I've also tested the AF on the 24 1.8z, the SEL 35 1.8 and SEL 50 1.8 and it hasn't let me down. Even wide open on the 50mm, which if I tried to capture with my NEX6 I would have failed miserably. I think you'll be happy with the combo. I'm sorry I missed out on that deal for $300 off!

Heavens Light
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
In reply to 5nex7, 7 months ago

I found the 16-70 for £530 online from a site I'd bought from before and bought it a couple of weeks ago to go with my Nex 6 and am really pleased with it. Then yesterday I was walking past a camera store and they had the A6000 in stock. You can guess the rest 

looking forward to test driving the combo this weekend

Heavens Light's gear list:Heavens Light's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X A3000 Sony a6000 Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,024Gear list
Like?

trax87 wrote:

I'm only half joking. Lol. Not sure how it happened exactly. I have a NEX 6 that I am very happy with, along with a few lenses. I basically have everything covered from ultra wide with the 16mm and adapter through the 55-210 plus the 35/1.8 prime. I had been considering the 16-70z, but thought it was a little pricey. I also was thinking about a DSLR for better AF and/or either a DSLR or m4/3 for greater lens and accessory options.

Next thing I know B&H offers A $300 discount on the 16-70 and A6000 combo. I wasn't yet sure if I was going to buy the 16-70 and had all but decided not to upgrade the NEX at this point. But there I was pushing the buy button! And I don't usually do things like that.

Oh well. It's still on pre-order, so I guess I'll have some time to consider my actions :).

Check the used market for the NEX-6. It's terrific. Anything without an EVF is terrible.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
alvie
Regular MemberPosts: 206
Like?

Well, it sounds like a lot of us are drinking out of the same Tequila bottle.

le_alain
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
In reply to alvie, 7 months ago

You save yourself buying an M4/3 or DSLR with ither set of lenses no ?

le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Fujifilm X20
trax87
Like?
In reply to OhioMom08, 7 months ago

OhioMom08 wrote:

I've been shooting with this combo for almost a week now. It's been amazing! For what it's worth, I'm not a pro and I'm using the AFC to track small children - not birds in flight, or dogs running in the park. I've been happy enough with the A6000's AF performance to say I'm done with my DSLR. The A6000 combined with 16-70Z gives me results close enough to my Canon DSLR with 24-70L lens in a much smaller package and (in my opinion) a much more pleasurable user experience thanks to the EVF/live view and face tracking feature. I've also tested the AF on the 24 1.8z, the SEL 35 1.8 and SEL 50 1.8 and it hasn't let me down. Even wide open on the 50mm, which if I tried to capture with my NEX6 I would have failed miserably. I think you'll be happy with the combo. I'm sorry I missed out on that deal for $300 off!

That's encouraging.  I'm not a pro by any means and just want good image quality and a fun to use camera for all of the typical things as well as to continue to learn and grow as a photographer. The NEX 6 has been great, but in certain situations, I wanted a manual zoom and something a bit better plus some extra reach.

trax87
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 7 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

trax87 wrote:

Check the used market for the NEX-6. It's terrific. Anything without an EVF is terrible.

I will, Mel. It's good to know.  Not sure what I am going to do just yet. And I have to admit that I am still looking at all of the potential options I mentioned. But one possibility is to keep the NEX 6 as a second body. I had considered at one point getting a less expensive camera from the Emount line as a backup and so I wouldn't have to change lenses often, but I didn't want anything without an EVF either.

trax87
Like?
In reply to le_alain, 7 months ago

le_alain wrote:

You save yourself buying an M4/3 or DSLR with ither set of lenses no ?

I would like to think I saved myself some money, but I'm not sure that is really the case.

Anthony Alongi
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Me too!

I just hit the order button as well.  I have been debating between the Sony combo, an Olympus combo and  Fujifilm combo for about a month since exiting the Nikon 1 system.  I have gone back and forth dozens of times.  That lens is what I have been after with the Sony, but I couldn't justify US$1K for it.  Earlier today while perusing the forums I saw the $300 off and (somewhat impulsively) pulled the trigger.  Looking forward to it.

For me, I love the range in a single lens.  Most of my photography is travel related.  I lived most of the 1990's in Europe and happily shot with just a Minolta Maxxum 7000i and the 24-105 from that system.

Later this year, I'll probably add a low light prime to the kit and be happy - although that 10-18 might eventually suck me in as well.

-- hide signature --

Tony A.

trax87
Like?
Re: Me too!
In reply to Anthony Alongi, 7 months ago

Anthony Alongi wrote:

I just hit the order button as well. I have been debating between the Sony combo, an Olympus combo and Fujifilm combo for about a month since exiting the Nikon 1 system. I have gone back and forth dozens of times. That lens is what I have been after with the Sony, but I couldn't justify US$1K for it. Earlier today while perusing the forums I saw the $300 off and (somewhat impulsively) pulled the trigger. Looking forward to it.

For me, I love the range in a single lens. Most of my photography is travel related. I lived most of the 1990's in Europe and happily shot with just a Minolta Maxxum 7000i and the 24-105 from that system.

Later this year, I'll probably add a low light prime to the kit and be happy - although that 10-18 might eventually suck me in as well.

-- hide signature --

Tony A.

Congratulations and best of luck with it.  It's tough with so many great choices.  We are all very fortunate, but it doesn't make it easy.

PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,162Gear list
Like?

trax87 wrote:

You're going to be in heaven with the new lens and camera I suspect. Those darn specials do turn you into an ordering zombie. I got an A7 and A7R bundle when the trade-in program was in effect at huge savings. BH Photo was to blame by adding another $160 to the $300 trade in deal on top of the $650 bundle discount. Sold the A7 and SEL2470Z (very nice lens but had to keep the cost down) and kept the A7R, LA-EA4 and HVL-60M. I'm blown away by detail the sensor can produce and overall image quality although my NEX-7 and SEL1670Z combo is no slouch.

The SEL1670Z actually does a stellar job on the A7R in crop mode too. The 16-70Z is a lens you'll use for years. The sharpness, color, contrast, focus accuracy and speed improvements from the lens were very noticeable to me on the NEX-7. It must be even better on the A6000. Have fun, I sure am! I think Sony is trying to take over the world, turning one of us at a time into camera junkie zombies.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Jesper Frickmann
Regular MemberPosts: 331Gear list
Like?

Congrats, and good luck with it. At this point, I believe this must be the ultimate allround CSC combo - second to none!

Jesper Frickmann's gear list:Jesper Frickmann's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,858
Like?
Don't see it

I don't see this $300 off combo on their site. This was I wanted to get but settled on body only And received the a6000 body yesterday from Amazon.

-- hide signature --
dquangt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012
Like?
Re: Don't see it
In reply to DezM, 7 months ago

I don't see this $300 off combo on their site. This was I wanted to get but settled on body only And received the a6000 body yesterday from Amazon.

-- hide signature --

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1038726-REG/sony_alpha_a6000_mirrorless_digital.html

Just searched for a6000.

DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,858
Like?
Re: Don't see it
In reply to dquangt, 7 months ago

dquangt wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1038726-REG/sony_alpha_a6000_mirrorless_digital.html

Just searched for a6000.

Thanks, how did B&H swing that? Great deal, although I've already received the body from elsewhere.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads