Tempted by X100 converters but will they be orphans?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
jsam
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Tempted by X100 converters but will they be orphans?
5 months ago

I enjoy my X100. Part of the enjoyment is not carrying extra gear "just in case".

However, I'm considering violating that and buying the wide and tele converters because...because will I just can, ok? And, yes, that probably means carrying the flash. So that'd be a bag too. Sigh.

What stops me buying them is the thought of the X200 not being compatible. Is anyone else in my boat - dithering because the future is uncertain?

-- hide signature --

John

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MrChristopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?
Re: Tempted by X100 converters but will they be orphans?
In reply to jsam, 5 months ago

Someone posted something similar the other day. The question to ask yourself is do you plan to abandon your x100 when the x200 comes out?

I sure as heck don't and I can't wait to buy the 50mm tele when it hits stores.  I'm not interested in the wide angle one, 23mm is enough for me.

What is more important to you, taking photos or owning the latest hardware?

-

http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jsam
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrChristopher, 5 months ago

I tend to buy every other generation of technology. I passed on the X100S. I expect (hope?) the X200 will be so good that, yes, I probably would stop using the X100. 
Spending £500 on the extra kit for maybe what, a year, two years, of use isn't exciting. 
If I knew the converters would also suit the X200 I'd not hesitate.

-- hide signature --

John

darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,323Gear list
Like?

jsam wrote:

I tend to buy every other generation of technology. I passed on the X100S. I expect (hope?) the X200 will be so good that, yes, I probably would stop using the X100.
Spending £500 on the extra kit for maybe what, a year, two years, of use isn't exciting.

If you plan on getting the X200, you probably shouldn't buy the converters until you know what kind of lens the X200 will have.

On the other hand. Lets say the X200 is one year away. You spend £500 on the converters and get £300 for them in resale. The converters will only cost you £17/month, £9/month if the X200 is two years away.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?

I have the X100 and do have the WCL with it.  As of right now I have no plans to ever part with the X100, there's just something about it that no matter what else comes along, I will continue to have an attachment to it.  I don't plan on getting the teleconverter though.

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
MrChristopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?

jsam wrote:

-- hide signature --

John

That makes sense.  We lack even any rumors of what an x200 will look like, and I would wager it will only be an improved x100s with more megapixels and better usablility. I don't see them changing the lens, especially since they will want to sell these teleconverters.  Once Fuji moves into 22-24mp territory I doubt we'll see an x200.

The notion of a FF x200 (in the same package) is utter folly.  And the 23mm lens matches the overall range finder vibe.

But yeah, until we see some worthy rumors you're in a holding pattern.  Come to Texas sometime and I'll let you borrow my 50mm tele once I have it in hand

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,323Gear list
Like?

Of course, if you just want to play around with the converters there are much cheaper alternatives. They won't have the same IQ, could end up with some neat effects, but they won't break the bank either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-HD-Wide-Angle-Telephoto-Lens-Set-for-Fujifilm-Finepix-X100-/151005562827

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,239Gear list
Like?
Hedge your bet by limiting investment to just converters.

jsam wrote:

I enjoy my X100. Part of the enjoyment is not carrying extra gear "just in case".

However, I'm considering violating that and buying the wide and tele converters because...because will I just can, ok? And, yes, that probably means carrying the flash. So that'd be a bag too. Sigh.

What stops me buying them is the thought of the X200 not being compatible. Is anyone else in my boat - dithering because the future is uncertain?

Sure converters ten to be orphaned in a few years.  I gone through that with the Canon S1/3/5 and similar cameras.

The thing is these Fuji converters are excellent quality and cost around $300 each.  That's a lot less money to invest than getting into the Fuji-X interchangeable mirrorless system.

A bigger danger would be you go all-in on the Fuji-X interchangeable stuff, and end up hardly using your teleconverters.

But, consider I just pulled the trigger by spending $4000 on the X-T1, my first set of Fuji lens, and a flash.  If Fujifilm doesn't make it, I'm out that money.

If you stick with the X100s w/ converters you are out just $1900 and you don't have to buy them all at once.  Also they do make a nice set that you can sell together when you save up for the X200 whatever.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
WhiteSwan
Contributing MemberPosts: 631
Like?

I'm perfectly happy with my X100S and it's beautiful lens. For other focal lengths I use other cameras.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads