**** Weekly Wildlife Thread 4-26 to 5-1 ****

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
myssvictoria
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,964Gear list
Like?
Re: A Land of Giants
In reply to Paul W Smith, 8 months ago

Good eye, Paul! Lots going on here, and it all works.

-- hide signature --
 myssvictoria's gear list:myssvictoria's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
myssvictoria
Like?
Re: Crow, House Finch, and Eagle
In reply to sb123, 8 months ago

Steve, I agree with Rodger, the Finch is the standout. However, I find it amazing that I can see good detail inside the Eagle's mouth!

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +7 more
myssvictoria
Like?
Re: Cormorant
In reply to paul katinas, 8 months ago

Look at that detail! Really great shot, Paul.

-- hide signature --
myssvictoria
Like?
Re: Mixed wildlife from Costa Rica - FZ200
In reply to Rodger1943, 8 months ago

Fantastic, Rodger. They are all great. The Magnificent Frigatebird is truly a magnificent BIF. That Howler Monkey looks menacing, looks like it's ready to pounce on you. Very interesting squirrel! Too bad the Osprey came up empty but this is a great shot, nonetheless. I've been waiting for the Ospreys to return to our local lake. It's pretty dramatic how they dive head first into the water.

-- hide signature --
myssvictoria
Like?
Thanks to all for your comments (NT)
In reply to myssvictoria, 8 months ago
-- hide signature --
myssvictoria
Like?
Re: Swallow and Sapsucker

paul katinas wrote:

Wonderful images Vickie!

Does your West coast Sapsucker drill rows of holes to store food too?

Take care, Paul

Thanks, Paul. No, the Red-breasted Sapsucker doesn't store food that I know of. They drill holes to form sap wells where they return to sip sap and eat trapped insects. I've seen Hummingbirds frequent these sap wells.

-- hide signature --
paul katinas
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?

myssvictoria wrote:

paul katinas wrote:

Wonderful images Vickie!

Does your West coast Sapsucker drill rows of holes to store food too?

Take care, Paul

Thanks, Paul. No, the Red-breasted Sapsucker doesn't store food that I know of. They drill holes to form sap wells where they return to sip sap and eat trapped insects. I've seen Hummingbirds frequent these sap wells.

-- hide signature --

Thanks Vickie for the clarification and wonderful description on behavior.

Here's an image of my tree out back, excavated by a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker.

Take care, Paul

Panasonic FZ18, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker holes

nicodimus22
Senior MemberPosts: 1,160Gear list
Like?
Huh! I never noticed that geese used Rain-X on their chests...

Look at that beading action.

-- hide signature --

"If I handed my 5-year old daughter my iPhone and asked her to take a picture of that, would your photo look any different from hers?" -Scott Kelby

nicodimus22's gear list:nicodimus22's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 +3 more
Briansdad1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,110Gear list
Like?
Golden finch?

The grey in this little guys yellow is throwing me off. Is it a Golden Finch?

Shoot through the glass, full reach, tripod. Best I could do with processing. Birds here are really shy - maybe because it's a new feeder. Have to peek around the curtains to get anything.

Golden finch?

-- hide signature --

I'm not a pro. Images I post are unrestricted. Copy, edit, re-post here as part of the tread or elsewhere. C&C always welcome and encouraged - I'm not touchy about the negatives.

Briansdad1's gear list:Briansdad1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +6 more
Briansdad1
Like?

GReat shots, V. Must be nice TC

-- hide signature --

I'm not a pro. Images I post are unrestricted. Copy, edit, re-post here as part of the tread or elsewhere. C&C always welcome and encouraged - I'm not touchy about the negatives.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +6 more
Briansdad1
Like?
Re: Anna's hummingbird ( male)
In reply to winniepoo, 8 months ago

Beautiful!

-- hide signature --

Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,798Gear list
Like?
Re: Mixed wildlife from Costa Rica - FZ200

myssvictoria wrote:

Fantastic, Rodger. They are all great. The Magnificent Frigatebird is truly a magnificent BIF. That Howler Monkey looks menacing, looks like it's ready to pounce on you. Very interesting squirrel! Too bad the Osprey came up empty but this is a great shot, nonetheless. I've been waiting for the Ospreys to return to our local lake. It's pretty dramatic how they dive head first into the water.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for all those comments Vickie. The Howler Monkey shot is a bit misleading because it looks like I was on the same level at it, but in fact I was looking up and it was looking down at me. There was no signs of aggression from the monkey. I was busy eating leaves.

With regards to the osprey, its the first time I've managed to get a shot of one. I do have pre and post dive shots as well and might post them at a later time.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Briansdad1
Like?
Washington DC Squirrel

Went to the Capital looking for nuts. Hit the jackpot!

-- hide signature --

paul katinas
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: Golden finch?
In reply to Briansdad1, 8 months ago

Hi Bill,

That's an American Goldfinch.They will develop a vibrant yellow color and black cap during breeding, usually late in the season.

They love the Thistle plant, use it's down to weave their nests.

It's tough here in Florida identifying tiny birds.They usually visit in their non-breading colors.

Happy trails, Paul

Briansdad1
Like?
Re: Golden finch?

Thanks for the info.

-- hide signature --

Briansdad1
Like?
Re: A sideways glance.
In reply to Adsum, 8 months ago

What a post. Did you thank him? Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Briansdad1
Like?
Re: You talking to me???
In reply to estero, 8 months ago

"I am so sick of salad and this diet is getting me nowhere."

Good shot. Lost of character.

-- hide signature --

Briansdad1
Like?
Re: A Land of Giants
In reply to Paul W Smith, 8 months ago

That is just gorgeous! great composition, light, angle, content,  . . . . One of the more interesting images I've seen here., especially in the bird category.

-- hide signature --

Briansdad1
Like?
Re: Cormorant

Nice shot. Is that a natural eye color or a play of the light?

Bill

-- hide signature --

Briansdad1
Like?
Re: Crow, House Finch, and Eagle
In reply to sb123, 8 months ago

Yup, fond of the finch, but you sure nailed the "focus on the eye' on the crow image.

Bill

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads