### Weekly Garden&Flower ### 25 April 2014

Started 8 months ago | Photos
WhyNot
Senior MemberPosts: 2,991
Like?
### Weekly Garden&Flower ### 25 April 2014
8 months ago

Welcome to Vol 1 #13 of the Garden & Flower Thread … This thread is an invitation for you to share your pictures of

Gardens

Flowers in gardens or in the studio

Insects that contribute to or threaten the flowers

Critters that live in the garden

No restrictions as to camera or system. No PP requirements. Just a desire to see what your interests and imagination will bring.... However, please limit insects and critters to a garden/flower context – There are other Threads and Forums for Close-Up/Macros and Wildlife.

Comments I'm sure will be welcomed but are your option ...Be courteous, appreciate what you find here, and provide information and comments that add to the pictures shown when you can....

I will look at and enjoy all entries but may only comment as my time permits

PLEASE reply to this post …. Replace the title with your own .. responding to other posts will probably result in few seeing what you have worked so hard to share...

Now show us what you're garden interests are..... Thank you for participating.

WhyNot

WhyNot
Like?
** Commentary **
In reply to WhyNot, 8 months ago

The Roses have finally started to bloom, that is the early Knockout Roses. It will be 80F before the end of this week in the SE USA. Can Summer be far away here in the Northern Hemisphere ?… which I guess means it's getting cooler in the Southern Hemisphere. Looking foreword to seeing what you have to share with us this week...

If you have comments on this thread, the words used to describe it, want to volunteer to take it over or assist, or anything else that needs to be said about this thread – then reply to this entry...

WhyNot

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WhyNot
Like?
The Subject is Roses.

I took several long walks in the gardens this week with the camera but, as the Roses have just stared to bloom, these are what I'll share this week. While I love the 105mm macro lens, often at the gardens or with roses I need a little more working distance -- the ZD70-300 gives that to me and is the lens I had on the E-30 for these pictures... The first to bloom was this pink knockout rose...252mm;f/8@1/640;ISO 200

Then next day there were a couple more pink roses and this red knockout rose ….163mm;f/9@1/400sec;ISO 640

When one blooms many bloom … 141mm; f/9@1/400sec;;ISO 640

ISO 640 was needed as there were heavy clouds this second day as well as showers .. Here is the pink rose after one of those showers …. 178mm;f/8@/250sec;ISO 640

Comments and critiques are always appreciated .. Thanks for stopping by...

CrisPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 659Gear list
Like?
I am the first with a bee here ...

This is my favorite of the week, so glad winter is gone and we have this nice light in springtime.

I am discovering the macro capabilities of my new "old" FT tele zoom...

500 ISO 1/320s Exposure f/5 Aperture 165mm Focal Length E-M1 Camera

EM1 with 50-200SWD and EC14

This bee is actually quite small, max 10mm. Don't know the species ...

-- hide signature --

OM-D + Sam7.5, PL25, O60, O75
O12-40, O50-200

CrisPhoto's gear list:CrisPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Rich Z
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,695Gear list
Like?
Hospital Roses

St. Joseph Hospital in Eureka has been enlarged, remodeled and landscaped over the last few years.  Somebody decided to plant hybrid roses and I just found out as I left, day before yesterday.  I only saw them because I had to wait for traffic in parking lot.  I just wanted to get out of there.  Well, I went home, got camera and tripod and went back.  Like typing, one handed photography is possible, but very slow.  The results do look as good to me as if done by someone with a pair of opposable thumbs.  And, I got a first chance to use my new and inexpensive ring light, as it was cloudy and raining and late in the afternoon.  I like the way it lights so smoothly.  I didn't think to shoot at slower SS for smaller aperture for more DOF, I was in too much distress, novocaine wearing off.  I ought to change my forum name to Lefty;  Rich

All four with E5, ZD 50mm macro and Bolt VM-110 ring light.

http://photobucket.com/dfr49_pix

Ravenwing Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Tiger Lilies

From the archives again, E-30 and 35mm macro with EC-14.  Best enlarged, and comments/criticism appreciated.  Sadly, these are pretty much just a memory now.  Had a bad Lily beetle infestation three or four years ago.  Since then, although not quite killed off, the plants never really make it to maturity before being eaten.  They decimated the Tiger Lilies and Asiatic Lilies, but at least they seem to have no taste for Day Lilies.  I guess they're about impossible to get rid of without spraying, and I won't do that because of all the other insects/bees, birds, etc.  Hopefully the little buggers will move on at some point.

-- hide signature --

Nate
"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Ravenwing Photo's gear list:Ravenwing Photo's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 +6 more
WhyNot
Like?
Re: Hospital Roses
In reply to Rich Z, 8 months ago

Must be fun manipulating a camera and tripod with one hand! (Last time I played with a frame the way you did it took two stitches and a tetanus shot...) The results seem to be pretty good though, probably better than me with two hands....   And that ring-light looks interesting. I bought one recommended by another web site that turned out to have a working distance in inches! But this one looks like it would be usable.. Says the working distance is 4.9' or 1.5m …. Tempting... Nice pictures by the way... Very nice ...

WhyNot
Like?
Re: Tiger Lilies
In reply to Ravenwing Photo, 8 months ago

Nice shots.. Lilies are still in the future.. Gardens always seem to have something. My wife, the gardener in the family, is fighting Rose fungus, rabbits that eat the tops off flowers, the squirrels that dig up the bulbs, and the birds that eat anything red that grows, especially berries. ...... I assume that the snow is mostly gone in your neighborhood and that the flowers should follow...

WhyNot
Like?
Re: I am the first with a bee here ...
In reply to CrisPhoto, 8 months ago

Nice...  Two suggestions ... I almost missed your post myself as it really should be entered as a reply to the first entry and if you had entered the picture from your DPR gallery then I could have enlarged the picture and better seen the bee....  Thanks for sharing..

Rich Z
Like?
Re: Tiger Lilies
In reply to Ravenwing Photo, 8 months ago

Beautiful lilies, Nate.  Have you thought of finding out what the beetles like better than lilies and put some out to decoy them?  Maybe something sweet like fruit.  Just a thought as I feel the same way about insecticides, but those lilies are too beautiful to be beetle grub.  Great photography;  Rich

Rich Z
Like?

I can use the middle, ring and little finger on right hand (very carefully) so I can grasp like a chimpanzee to support.  I read customer comments on this light at B&H before I bought.  4.9 feet is a slightly conservative rating.  The roses were shot at around 3 feet at half power, and with the non-tinted diffuser.  I keep the light on and adjust metering.  You can also set it to flash.  With diffuser on or off, it is way too bright at full power to look at at 5 feet.  I buy almost everything at B&H.  Recently, they sent me an ad saying " Buy this, it's good and $10 off".  Their return policy is easy, so I did, and glad of it.  Thanks for your comment on my pix.  Rich

cameron lyall
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
Tulips in the sky

A fisheye picture of some tulips in back garden

cameron lyall's gear list:cameron lyall's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-450 Olympus E-5 +32 more
CrisPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 659Gear list
Like?
Barberry with Bee

Sorry, my first post was not correct. I try again, this is a good exercise, for example did I learn that gallery photos have better size options. Here we go again, hope you all enjoy the little bee in full size:

This photo was my favorite of the week. The barberry branch was in shadow but the background was lit by evening sun, I am so glad winter is gone and we have this nice light in springtime.

I am discovering the macro capabilities of my new "old" FT tele zoom...

EM1 with 50-200SWD and EC14

Edit: the photo is again in a small format, have to find out how you did your wonderful large format posts...

-- hide signature --

OM-D + Sam7.5, PL25, O60, O75
O12-40, O50-200

CrisPhoto's gear list:CrisPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Ravenwing Photo
Like?
Re: The Subject is Roses.

I hear some knocks about the 70-300, but obviously you've got it figured out!  Nice Roses, and nice job with the low light.

-- hide signature --

Nate
"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Ravenwing Photo
Like?

Kudos for turning a painful situation into a photo op, Rich.  Hope you're on the mend, and dammit, cut it out.  That is not the way to go "full-frame"!  (sorry man, bad joke) 

Love these Roses, and looking forward to more work from you with that ring light.  Looks like a keeper for sure, and gives very natural looking results.  Picked up an Oly twin-flash a while back, now if only the flowers would get started.  I haven't had much chance to play with it yet.  Dead grass, mud and last year's dead leaves don't seem to inspire me much! 

-- hide signature --

Nate

Ravenwing Photo
Like?
Thanks! Snow almost gone.......

but still have some along the edges of the yard and in the woods.  In fact, it snowed most of the day yesterday, but never really stuck on the ground.  I'm thinking another couple of weeks should see quite a difference.

Hmm....squirrels and bulbs, yes.  Put in 50 crocus bulbs last fall, haven't seen any sign of them yet.  They dug up all my tulips a few years back, so I gave up on those!

-- hide signature --

Nate

Ravenwing Photo
Like?
That's a thought, Rich.....

Rich Z wrote:

Beautiful lilies, Nate. Have you thought of finding out what the beetles like better than lilies and put some out to decoy them? Maybe something sweet like fruit. Just a thought as I feel the same way about insecticides, but those lilies are too beautiful to be beetle grub. Great photography; Rich

But I'm skeptical about them liking anything better than Lilies!  I've tried picking them off by hand, but they're clever.  As soon as you jiggle the plant, they drop off and land belly-up so you can't see them.  Bright red beetles, but with dark brown bellies.  Maybe a military surplus flame-thrower?? 

-- hide signature --

Nate

Ravenwing Photo
Like?
Re: Tulips in the sky
In reply to cameron lyall, 8 months ago

Cool!  Never thoughts about flower photos with a fish.  You may have just given me my excuse for needing a fish-eye!

-- hide signature --

Nate

Ravenwing Photo
Like?
Re: Barberry with Bee
In reply to CrisPhoto, 8 months ago

Don't know why that is, but when I click on your gallery link, I can expand the photo there.  Good to see the bees out and about again, and I didn't realize Barberry's had such nice little flowers!  Yes, the 50-200 is such a workhorse of a lens, capable of so much.  Wildlife, landscape, portrait, macro, sports...just a great and reasonably priced chunk of glass!

-- hide signature --

Nate

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,664Gear list
Like?

A very nicely done set Rich, one handed and all. The ring light looks like it did a good job for you. That is a very attractive rose in the first. It looks to be of two colours, but that is possibly the lighting.  Hope you are mending well.

Andrew

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads