Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,583Gear list
Like?
A6000 - a couple of insects
8 months ago

All taken today, with the SEL18200.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +18 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
Re: A6000 - a couple of insects
In reply to Dirk W, 8 months ago

1st is neat. Rayonnant background emanates from the bug's belly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Canadian Club
Forum ProPosts: 41,423
Like?

Wow!  Super shots.  Well done.

Trying to decide if I want to get the 18-200 or and adapter for my A lenses.  These are compelling.

CC

Sphinx_man
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?

Excellent shots!

Newgumshoe
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?

Great shots - I assume these are cropped?

Dirk W
Like?
In reply to Canadian Club, 8 months ago

Thank you! The 18-200 is a really excellent and versatile lens; I use it 90% of the time for anything from landscapes, portraits, sports, birds to flowers and insects in pseudo macro. For me, the 18-200 is one of the major reasons I am using the Sony E-mount system and I can really recommend it.

Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +18 more
Dirk W
Like?
In reply to Newgumshoe, 8 months ago

Thanks! Yes, they are cropped, but not so much actually. The old 18-200 has a very close minimum focus distance that allows pseudo macro shots with 200mm length.

Canadian Club
Like?

Dirk W wrote:

Thank you! The 18-200 is a really excellent and versatile lens; I use it 90% of the time for anything from landscapes, portraits, sports, birds to flowers and insects in pseudo macro. For me, the 18-200 is one of the major reasons I am using the Sony E-mount system and I can really recommend it.

thanks for the info.

Did you consider getting an adapter to use your A mount lens, as I see you have a 70-400?

CC

Dirk W
Like?

Did you consider getting an adapter to use your A mount lens, as I see you have a 70-400?

I have both the LA-EA1 and LA-EA2 and I use the 70-400 mainly on the EA2 and really like it. The nice thing is you get a lot of reach and yop can also go REALLY close for such pseudo macros. BUT the lens is HUGE and the combination is quite heavy to bear. And you don't have ILIS so you need very short shutter speeds, which boost up the ISOS especially since the SLT in the adapter eats some light. Therefore I only use this combo sometimes for birding and such in very good light.

Canadian Club
Like?

Dirk W wrote:

I have both the LA-EA1 and LA-EA2 and I use the 70-400 mainly on the EA2 and really like it. The nice thing is you get a lot of reach and yop can also go REALLY close for such pseudo macros. BUT the lens is HUGE and the combination is quite heavy to bear. And you don't have ILIS so you need very short shutter speeds, which boost up the ISOS especially since the SLT in the adapter eats some light. Therefore I only use this combo sometimes for birding and such in very good light.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have the 18-270 Tamron with ILIS, and was looking at the LA-EA4 at $349.99 Canadian vs the LA-EA2 at $449.95.  Any thoughts?

Sure appreciate your help.

Thanks

CC

Dirk W
Like?

I have the 18-270 Tamron with ILIS, and was looking at the LA-EA4 at $349.99 Canadian vs the LA-EA2 at $449.95. Any thoughts?

I don't know the Tamron but the range and ILIS sure sounds good. Is the EA4 cheaper than the EA2? Well, then you could go for the EA4 IMO; there is no difference except for the inner diameter AFAIK. I would maybe compare the Tamron to the SEL 18200 before I would invest so much money in the adapter. Just to make sure. In case the 18-200 is a lot sharper than the Tamron (which I could imagine - but that is pure speculation), maybe it would be worth to sell the 18-270 and save the money for the adapter, buying the SEL 18-200.

Canadian Club
Like?

Dirk W wrote:

I have the 18-270 Tamron with ILIS, and was looking at the LA-EA4 at $349.99 Canadian vs the LA-EA2 at $449.95. Any thoughts?

I don't know the Tamron but the range and ILIS sure sounds good. Is the EA4 cheaper than the EA2? Well, then you could go for the EA4 IMO; there is no difference except for the inner diameter AFAIK. I would maybe compare the Tamron to the SEL 18200 before I would invest so much money in the adapter. Just to make sure. In case the 18-200 is a lot sharper than the Tamron (which I could imagine - but that is pure speculation), maybe it would be worth to sell the 18-270 and save the money for the adapter, buying the SEL 18-200.

Again, thanks for the quick reply and information.

The SEL 18-200 is $900.00 Canadian vs the LA-EA4 at $349.99 Canadian. Oh! we also have to add 13% Taxes to those amounts so the 18-200 goes over a thousand dollars.

I've been very pleased with the Tamron 18-270 on my A65 and A77.

It is up to me to decide but I'm sure grateful for all the info and suggestions you have made.

Thanks

CC

Dirk W
Like?

You are very welcome.

Since you also use A-mount cameras this is of course a very strong reason to keep the 18-270 and just add an adapter. I just sold my A77 and I am so happy with my new A6000 that I will probably not add another A-mount camera again (well, let's see what comes out in A-mount the near future), so I am in a different situation. But I will keep the 70-400 since this focal length does not exist in e-mount. And the lens is fantastic for wildlife.

Canadian Club
Like?

Dirk W wrote:

You are very welcome.

Since you also use A-mount cameras this is of course a very strong reason to keep the 18-270 and just add an adapter. I just sold my A77 and I am so happy with my new A6000 that I will probably not add another A-mount camera again (well, let's see what comes out in A-mount the near future), so I am in a different situation. But I will keep the 70-400 since this focal length does not exist in e-mount. And the lens is fantastic for wildlife.

I have seen so many fantastic pictures from the 70-400, just wish I could lift one.  

This is why I like the Tamron 18-270 on the A65.  We were doing a 4 plane formation and just before the T-51 broke away i capture this shot.

I'll probably wait a week more to get more experience with the A6000 and the kit lens then make up my mind.

Thanks again.

CC

little al
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?

Thanks for sharing these Dirk. I enjoyed seeing how well you have captured and framed the shots.
Cheers.

little al's gear list:little al's gear list
Sony a6000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads