Sigma 35 or 24-105 ART for Cuba?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
digitalphotographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
Sigma 35 or 24-105 ART for Cuba?
8 months ago

All of the sudden on the eve of my first trip to Cuba, I'm having doubts about my camera/lens list.

At first I was going to just bring the RX1R and GR, since my favorite FLs are 35mm and 28mm for street and architecture. But then the more I think about it, the more confused I get. Any thoughts for the following alternatives?

1. D800E + Sigma 35mm ART for best IQ, RX1R as backup 35mm, GR in pocket (missing longer FLs)

2. D800E + Sigma 35mm ART for best IQ, Df + Sigma 24-105mm to cover important FLs (but may be too heavy)

3. D800E + Sigma 24-105mm ART (potentially outresolved by camera), RX1R as backup 35mm

4. Df + Sigma 24-105mm ART (definitely not outresolved by camera), RX1R as backup 35mm

Your feedback is welcomed, my pre-trip jitters are not helping me think clearly.

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX1R Nikon Df Nikon D750
ANSWER:
Nikon D800E Nikon Df Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
M Palma Mir
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: Sigma 35 or 24-105 ART for Cuba?
In reply to digitalphotographer, 8 months ago

Can I as what you intend to shoot and where in Cuba.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gotompoes
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?

digitalphotographer wrote:

All of the sudden on the eve of my first trip to Cuba, I'm having doubts about my camera/lens list.

At first I was going to just bring the RX1R and GR, since my favorite FLs are 35mm and 28mm for street and architecture. But then the more I think about it, the more confused I get. Any thoughts for the following alternatives?

1. D800E + Sigma 35mm ART for best IQ, RX1R as backup 35mm, GR in pocket (missing longer FLs)

2. D800E + Sigma 35mm ART for best IQ, Df + Sigma 24-105mm to cover important FLs (but may be too heavy)

3. D800E + Sigma 24-105mm ART (potentially outresolved by camera), RX1R as backup 35mm

4. Df + Sigma 24-105mm ART (definitely not outresolved by camera), RX1R as backup 35mm

Your feedback is welcomed, my pre-trip jitters are not helping me think clearly.

Option 4 would be my choice. RX1R beats in my opinion the D800E + Sigma 35 combination in IQ but not in AF. Option 3 is pretty close.

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
digitalphotographer
Like?
In reply to gotompoes, 8 months ago

gotompoes wrote:

Option 4 would be my choice. RX1R beats in my opinion the D800E + Sigma 35 combination in IQ but not in AF. Option 3 is pretty close.

Thank for the feedback. I know RX1(R) is pretty special but do you really think its 24MP Zeiss f2 can best Nikon's 36MP D800E+Sigma 35mm?

I don't mind the slower AF.

wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 471Gear list
Like?

I would just take the one lens. I don't think you're going to get any more out of the other options that would make it worth your while to bother with them.

Look forward to you posting some images.  I've wanted to go to Cuba for years but kids aren't old enough yet.

best, David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
gotompoes
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?

gotompoes wrote:

Thank for the feedback. I know RX1(R) is pretty special but do you really think its 24MP Zeiss f2 can best Nikon's 36MP D800E+Sigma 35mm?

I did compare the DF Sigma 35 mm combination with the Sony R X1 and came to the conclusion that the Sony R X1 had the better IQ. I know that the D800E has more resolution.
Both must be pretty good.

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
digitalphotographer
Like?
RX1R better than D800E+Sigma 35mm?
In reply to gotompoes, 8 months ago

gotompoes wrote:

I did compare the DF Sigma 35 mm combination with the Sony R X1 and came to the conclusion that the Sony R X1 had the better IQ. I know that the D800E has more resolution.
Both must be pretty good.

Sorry, just to clarify, did you compare the D800E + Sigma 35mm, DF + 35mm, or both?

I'm not surprised if RX1R wins over DF + 35mm, but curious about D800E + Sigma 35mm with its higher pixel count. I wish I had the Sigma 35mm to run some comparisons.

igzy
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?

My choice would be option #4. I've taken my D700 to Cuba before and the lens I used the most there was 24-120... Wide for street photos and tele for wildlife, etc...

igzy's gear list:igzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-A1
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,666Gear list
Like?

I always recommend one zoom that has not too much weight and plenty of range, plus one 35mm prime for indoors when it's dark.

So D800, 24-105 and a prime.
If you feel the need for a backup, take the Df or Sony, but leave it in the room safe.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
RichyjV
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?

gotompoes wrote:

For IQ the RX1(R) is by all accounts very good, but it wont beat the d800E sigma combo. It is very difficult to measure like for like here but basically both take really excellent IQ shots at their native resolution which hardly require pp sharpening, but the simple resolution advantage of the nikon will mean that it would have the advantage when downsized to 24mp, or higher acuity than the RX1R upsized to 36mp.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads