Nikon 1 V3 assorted daylight snaps

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,222Gear list
Like?
Nikon 1 V3 assorted daylight snaps
7 months ago

It seems that a couple or a few people were wondering about the camera since I am pushing it at night, so wanted to share a few snaps I took in the last few days in daylight.  I will also post 1-2 photos taken in daylight in the other thread.

Note: these are snaps. I do not consider them photographs even if some approach that. This should not reflect my usual work and it's just for reference of what the equipment does like in daylight.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Raist3d
Like?
A few more...
In reply to Raist3d, 7 months ago

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Raist3d
Like?
Important note- all photos processed form LightRoom

all the photos I have been posting are from LightRoom from RAW.

I think the JPEG engine of Nikon is good enough for ISO 1600 in BW and some color (but I am not a big fan of many color situations with Nikon- don't like their JPEG color).  For high ISO like ISO 6400/12800 NR mode B&W can work if you are resizing down to even something like 2 mp (1600x1200).

-- hide signature --

jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,862Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 1 V3 assorted daylight snaps

Underexposed, over saturated colors, high contrast, and very little dynamic range shown in these photos.  I am surprised these were shot in RAW and post processed as they have the look of over processed JPEGs. The one positive is the resolution, which is a noticeable improvement over the 10MP sensor, which will make pixel peepers and heavy croppers happy anyway.

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Raist3d
Like?
In reply to jonikon, 7 months ago

jonikon wrote:

Underexposed, over saturated colors, high contrast, and very little dynamic range shown in these photos. I am surprised these were shot in RAW and post processed as they have the look of over processed JPEGs. The one positive is the resolution, which is a noticeable improvement over the 10MP sensor, which will make pixel peepers and heavy croppers happy anyway.

Thanks for the candid feedback

I don't think the shots are under exposed but this is more or less the color default coming out.  I could certainly tone it down.   The light in which these were shot was clear sky, so it follows it's going to be high contrast- as you note.

The DR to be frank of the Nikon 1 is not all that competitive vs its class (Sony, and some m/43rds).  And my pentax Q7 at the lowest ISO has more DR.

I can try and post process for more DR, more shades, etc. if that's what you want to see.

Again- thanks for the candid focused thoughts.  As for the extra resolution- I think what the extra resolution brings is better IQ through sampling down compared to the previous Nikon 1's. The DR, color seems to me about the same of what those were.

- Jon

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
Two more

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
Is this more to your liking?

I lifted the shadows, increased exposure half a stop, dialed down the clarity and - I had increased vibrance, so it was punchier than default, so since the default seemed not too different I dialed vibrance -10.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
I would also say...

that looking at the shots you posted here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53551766

I don't see much in the dynamic range realm either, and I do find the photos a bit too low contrast (the first metal horse may be ok - to me), and the color is just a bit drab.

Except the landscape house/mountain shot- that one to me shows good color, good DR, exposure.

I find the cat well exposed but it mixes luminance wise/brightness wise and shape wise with the background a bit much, but the cat itself looks pretty good.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
Another re-master

I lifted the shadows, in this case I had also given it some vibrancy. The contrast was already at -12 so I left it that way. Took out some of the clarity.

I find this treatment ok and works though the shadows when looked at a bigger resolution does show noise. But since the camera has 18 MP at some reasonable print sizes it should still look good.

I personally in a way like more the original because I wanted to put more emphasis on the house on the back, but I can see this other treatment having its appeal also.

Do keep in mind that this is a situation of *severe* high contrast in the shot itself (of course someone could argue shooting the right subject in the right light but these are snaps just to see what the camera can do).

So the house was effectively very bright and the shadow relatively speaking very dark.

-- hide signature --

samfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 947Gear list
Like?

Would you care to try some picture control settings from here? http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3657845

Raist3d
Like?
Nominal, -1 ev, +2.3 ev (shadow lift) snap

This is to show shadow lifting. ISO is 160 (base).  Forgot if active lighting was on- important since I think that shifts the raw file like 1/3rd-1/2 a stop down to recover more highlight at expense of shadows even in RAW (from what I have seen) but should give a pretty good idea anyway.

Nominal - the shot as taken

-1 ev

+2.3 ev/shadow lift (shadows lifted ONLY by moving exposure, not using shadow slider)

at 100% there's definitively some noise/color noise but again, for reasonable print sizes it looks good.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
This is exactly one of the reasons Nikon should have in-camera RAW conversion
In reply to samfan, 7 months ago

but they don't.  That means me taking shots in daylight with the controls. It's night now and tomorrow I work.  If I still have it on Saturday I could.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
Re-osting this one here

I think this is probably one of the best shots I have seen for tonality/DR in a shot.

-- hide signature --

Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,774Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more

Market Street on a sunny day is a good place to test cameras. In shooting JPEGs there is an "Auto" setting for contrast (all the way to the left) which might help with the changing light of a day on Market Street.....:-)

-- hide signature --

Bob

Ross's gear list:Ross's gear list
Leica M8 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Nikon 1 V2
VertigonA380
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?

jonikon wrote:

Underexposed, over saturated colors, high contrast, and very little dynamic range shown in these photos. I am surprised these were shot in RAW and post processed as they have the look of over processed JPEGs. The one positive is the resolution, which is a noticeable improvement over the 10MP sensor, which will make pixel peepers and heavy croppers happy anyway.

- Jon

There are few opinions worth listening to here Jon and yours is one of them. The other disturbing thing is the lack of detail considering the supposed development of the sensor and the omission of the AA filter. Surely there has to be more.

bleeboo
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
In reply to VertigonA380, 7 months ago

It is what it is, but, I'm finding that compared to the V2, the V3 seems exponentially better with noise, and detail, than the V2.

I own both, and always loved the V2's speed and feel, but was never wild about the noise and the V2 being bereft of what I considered acceptable detail.

I took this shot today, with the V3 and the 18.5mm 1.8 lens, 400ISO:

Picture Control +1 Sharpness +1 Saturation Flat Contrast

No post. SOOC JPEG Fine.

I'm not a pro, or even a close approximation of a photography expert, but, I like the way the V3 produces images, considering its speed, and size.

bleeboo's gear list:bleeboo's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 60D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon 1 V2 +1 more
Raist3d
Like?
In reply to VertigonA380, 7 months ago

If you look carefully there is actually good detail in some of these shots. Keep in mind subjects moving etc

As for opinions and checking thigs I think we all have our respective credentials an its good to examine to what's presented from all sides.

Obviously I just got the camera so it follows I am not going to be makin the eat of it in all situations necessarily. I welcome all comments.
--

Raist3d
Like?
In reply to bleeboo, 7 months ago

The reference you make vs the v2 is good to know.

What I am seeing is more or less the same quality at pixel level but given the v3 has more
Megapixels that actually is an improvement in image quality.

My only concern on the noise is banding when Iso is pushed hard but it's not too bad as other cameras I have seen with that issue but its there. I get the impression the v2 sensor is more resilient to that but have not seen many v2 Raws
--

VertigonA380
Like?
In reply to bleeboo, 7 months ago

Thanks for posting, I had a look at the image full size and it does well for noise, even though ISO400 isn't really the tipping point for grain. It's also a contrasty image, just by virtue. You would expect the V3 to be better just through evolution and price, how much better I'm not quite sure yet.

VertigonA380
Like?

I realise that when you get a camera you snap away like crazy, it's what I do to. I also realise these are street shots, light varying by the shot and that subjects are moving.

I can see some potential in the hair of the lady with the blue puffer jacket moving away from the camera. As for the others, not really. Oh and I didn't enlarge every shot.

This doesn't mean the V3 can't give more, it's just that in my opinion it hasn't given enough yet. As things go, someone might make a set of jaw dropping images, it does happen. It might be from a total newbie or someone we know on the forum. I saw the press release shots for the camera, and they were ok, given that Nikon don't seem to push for stunning shots in any camera release, the potential does remain for someone to knock us over with the clarity, dynamic range, tonal graduation and nuances of faint light that I am hoping to see out of this camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads