My new DSLR has me appreciating my m43 setup much more

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Wesley Byrne
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
My new DSLR has me appreciating my m43 setup much more
6 months ago

When I bought into m43 about 18 months ago I did so because I could get good images, direct camera control, and decent high-ISO performance at a very good price. The small size was a bonus. Over time, I have really come to appreciate the lenses we are able to choose from in the wide to mid telephoto range. Overall, I have been very happy with my m43 gear.

I recently decided to buy a new DSLR to use alongside my m43 gear for the usual reasons (to use with specific lenses, fast AF + tracking, slightly better DR and high-ISO performance). After first trying the 70D, which I did not like, I bought a D7000 that I am pretty happy with. It performs well, as expected, but after 18 months without a DSLR I had forgotten how big and heavy these things are. By comparison to my G3s, it is pretty big.

The D7000 has a good reputation and I am enjoying mine, but I hadn't realized how nice the m43 gear is. Most of the time my m43 gear gets me the photo I need or want, and it really is compact and lightweight.

Canon EOS 70D Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dandeluca
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
could not agree more
In reply to Wesley Byrne, 6 months ago

I have a pentax K-5, which is great, and three thousand or four dollars worth of lenses, many just fantastic, but most of the time I end up bringing my EPL5 with me, maybe with one of the sigma primes I got for a hundred dollars a piece when they introduced new versions (30 and 19), or maybe the delightful Oly 45, which I got for a whoppin' 349.

So light, so easy to bring along, and great photos, 95% of what I get from the pentax with 600 or 800 dollar lenses on it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
R V C
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
Re: could not agree more
In reply to dandeluca, 6 months ago

Hi Dandeluca

Have you tried using one of your K mount lenses with adapter on your m43? I would like to know your experience. I recently purchased a SMC 50mm A f1.4 for a song after i did some online R&D. wating for my adapter.

-- hide signature --

"Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly until you learn to do it well."
-- Zig Ziglar

R V C's gear list:R V C's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Re: My new DSLR has me appreciating my m43 setup much more

There's almost nothing an APS-C DSLR can do that Micro Four Thirds can't do except fast moving action shots. My E-PL5 is absolutely tiny and fits in the palm of my hand and yet it fits some very serious lenses.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
R V C
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lumixdude, 6 months ago

The way is see it, given a few years, the speed at which the sensors are developing, even that might become a nonissue. wating for that day.

-- hide signature --

"Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly until you learn to do it well."
-- Zig Ziglar

R V C's gear list:R V C's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to R V C, 6 months ago

I'm waiting for the next Micro Four Thirds sensor we've seen two years with the 16 megapixel sensor technology, hopefully by the end this year we'll see a new sensor with better AF speeds for sport and action and I'll have a reason to buy a full sized body to go with my E-PL5.

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
photohounds
Contributing MemberPosts: 530Gear list
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

There's almost nothing an APS-C DSLR can do that Micro Four Thirds can't do except fast moving action shots. My E-PL5 is absolutely tiny and fits in the palm of my hand and yet it fits some very serious lenses.

And even THEN, some fast shotts can easily be had with the touch screen enabled to focus and shoot.  In fact, where there's LOTS to lock onto it can be a superior method!

-- hide signature --

Well designed gear performs better for longer than well marketed gear.
Odd that people complain a lens is not sharp enough,
and then proceed to make pics where 95% is OOF ..
General Pics:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/
Oly and other .. Gear test samples - even RB-67!:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests
How DO OMDs cope with dim-light action and smoke?
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Performing-arts

photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +8 more
Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,032Gear list
Like?
Almost means there is still something ;)

Lumixdude wrote:

There's almost nothing an APS-C DSLR can do that Micro Four Thirds can't do except fast moving action shots.

I am not taking sides here, but few points spring to mind

• availability of specialized dedicated lenses, as for portraits, macro, etc. After all f/1.4 on APS-C (with AF) is not what f/1.8 on mFT is. Or 18-35/1.8 on APS-C is not what the closest (and heaviest) FT f/2 on mFT is. Same as 150mm macro (with AF) is not what 60mm macro on mFT is, and so on.
  • closer integration to the larger (FF) system, should one chose to upgrade later on. Same lenses can be re-used on FF, as they are not tied to one size only.
  • as you said, dSLRs are faster, especially when acquiring fast focus on one tiny detail (say eyelashes, or butterfly's head while it is flipping her wings, etc,)

So may not seem like a big deal, or what is of any interest to you, but it is there.

My E-PL5 is absolutely tiny and fits in the palm of my hand and yet it fits some very serious lenses.

Which is bonus also, if you travel light, and do not want heavier and bulkier stuff around your neck, you can always chose a smaller lens, and enjoy your day walking :-). If this is for less dedicated photography, I agree, mFT in quite many cases can simply be a better choice than APS-C dSLR cameras.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Lumixdude
Like?
Re: Almost means there is still something ;)
In reply to Sergey_Green, 6 months ago

Well, you have the 25mm F/1.4 PanaLeica lens, and the Voightlander 25mm F/0.95. If you're doing portraits then a manual focus lens should not be an issue. Focus speed on fast moving objects should not be an issue at all for portraits in fact you've got the Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 for environmental portraits as well and the voightlander 42.5 F/0.95 for head and shoulders.

There is no lack of portrait lenses, or if there is you can buy a full frame lens such as just about any fast 50mm F/1.4 lens for SLRs and adapt it for Micro Four Thirds and have a manual focus 100mm lens.

You've got me one thing and that's system integration with other cameras, but the same is the case with Nikon and Canon and Pentax. In fact it's the inverse, you cannot mount a Pentax lens on a Nikon body and retain auto focus  but you can mount an Olympus lens on a Kodak or Panasonic body and still retain autofocus, in fact with an EM1 or a Panasonic GX7 you can mount Olympus Four Thirds DSLR lenses without a problem.

DSLRs are faster at present but that's a matter of time and development of Micro Four Thirds sensor technology.

007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,325Gear list
Like?
Exactly! Owning DSLR = M43 Appreciation.

I have been saying for a while now:

Owning a DSLR makes one Appreciate the "Beauty of M43"

There is simply no reason for a stupid M43-vs-DSLR WAR.  The more people owning a DSLR also = more people owning a M43 down-the-road.

Rarely have I'd seen Point/Shooter jump staright into M43.  I dare say an overwhelming 80% Majority of M43 Enthusiast were former Ex-DSLR shooter.

As such, M43 camera should focus on designing to appeal more to DSLR enthusiast (Olympus E-M5/10, Pansonic GX7/G5/GH4), and less toward the P&Shooter (Olypmpus E-PM2, E-PL5, Panasonic GF5/GF6)

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Alan_W1
Contributing MemberPosts: 719
Like?

Its not quite so straightforward for me,

After 3yrs with my gh2, I am still bowled over by its video capabilities, but I do appreciate the handling, button/dial layout, build quality/ size/weight etc of my aging dslr, when I use it for stills.

Its like coming home to a comfy old pair of slippers, when I use it.

Unfortunately the sensor IQ qualities of my dslr really shows its age above A4 printing, and even the relatively old gh2 is potentially superior at larger print size/crops etc.

Not sure if its because I am a left-eyed shooter, but I still remain frustrated with the cramped layout of my gh2.....during the heat of the action, and I often have to remove my eye from the vf if the need to change certain settings arise {something I never need to do with my dslr}.

Although my old 135 slr film cameras were not much larger than my gh2 {without auto-winders/motor drives attatched}, only the top-plates had dials/buttons etc....so were far less cluttered.

However, my present dslr will be my last. A gh3/4 sized body would be more to my liking....further down the road, although i shall remain with my gh2 for video for now {or maybe grab a g6}.

SkiHound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,246
Like?

I'm not a fan of format/brand wars. Size and weight were big considerations for me and the way I generally use cameras. I had an E620 and was really looking at the D7000 and D7. The issue was that even thought eh 620 was among the smallest and lightest SLRs I knew I actually wanted smaller and lighter. My uses are mostly walking around town, travel, hiking. I can throw the E-M5 and a couple of lenses into a day pack and hardly know it's there. Or I can put it and a couple of lenses in a small waist pack and hardly know it's there. I've put body caps on it and stuck a fast prime in a pocket and gone into venues that don't allow "professional cameras." And ungripped body with a prime and no hood is way less conspicuous than an SLR on the street. That can be a disadvantage as well cause sometimes big equipment gets respect. I'd like an SLR with a killer CAF/tracking system for action photography. You have to kind of go old school if shooting action with an E-M5. And if you need the ultimate IQ you should be going FF. Ive lusted after FF cameras but I know they'd end up staying at home or in my trunk a lot. Last weekend we went on a group dog hike. A guy looked at my camera and said, what is that? He said he never took his SLR on these walks because it was just to big and heavy. Different systems have different advantages.

Dave Stott
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?
In reply to SkiHound, 6 months ago

I have a crop frame dslr and a more recently acquired m43 (a g5 - the form factor suits me).

I use the m43 for the majority of what I do,  and the dslr for wildlife.  I hope that in 1 to 2 years I will be able to cut over to m43 completely, but I don't think it's quite time yet.

Dave

Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to Dave Stott, 6 months ago

It isn't there yet, but the ability to have a camera with near professional grade lens and body quality that fits in a small top load DSLR bag with three lenses is the main reason I am here.

I am waiting for the next round of "pro" bodies to evaluate whether the G6 or OMD will meet my needs or whether I'll have to buy a larger format body as well. So far I've been able to do everything except capture wildlife in motion.

Rocky ID Olympian
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Agree with you
In reply to 007peter, 6 months ago

At this stage, I agree with you. I'd even say maybe even more than 80% of currrent m43 users are ex DSLR users, not from point and shoot camera users.

Rocky ID Olympian's gear list:Rocky ID Olympian's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +13 more
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,952Gear list
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

Well, you have the 25mm F/1.4 PanaLeica lens, and the Voightlander 25mm F/0.95. If you're doing portraits then a manual focus lens should not be an issue. Focus speed on fast moving objects should not be an issue at all for portraits in fact you've got the Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 for environmental portraits as well and the voightlander 42.5 F/0.95 for head and shoulders.

The Voightlander 25mm F/0.95 is almost as heavy as the heaviest mFT camera. While costing $1000 for a lens that only gives you the equivalent DOF and light gathering of an F1.9 lens on FF , with no AF. The voightlander 42.5 F/0.95 is another $1000 option , though it is a bit of a bargain compared to the Panasonic F1.2 42.5 at $1600 

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 +13 more
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814Gear list
Like?
Moved from Canon 1D3/1Ds3. 'Nuff said. N/T
-- hide signature --

jacquescornell.com

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Elemental Photography
Contributing MemberPosts: 650Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sergey_Green, 6 months ago

Sergey_Green wrote:

Which is bonus also, if you travel light, and do not want heavier and bulkier stuff around your neck, you can always chose a smaller lens, and enjoy your day walking :-). If this is for less dedicated photography, I agree, mFT in quite many cases can simply be a better choice than APS-C dSLR cameras.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

A different kind of dedication is neither less nor more, simply different

-- hide signature --

A photograph is a creative interpretation of reality.

Elemental Photography's gear list:Elemental Photography's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
Re: could not agree more
In reply to R V C, 6 months ago

R V C wrote:

Have you tried using one of your K mount lenses with adapter on your m43? I would like to know your experience. I recently purchased a SMC 50mm A f1.4 for a song after i did some online R&D. wating for my adapter.

The Pentax 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar is a fantastic lens. You'll love it!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?

Wesley Byrne wrote:

When I bought into m43 about 18 months ago I did so because I could get good images, direct camera control, and decent high-ISO performance at a very good price. The small size was a bonus. Over time, I have really come to appreciate the lenses we are able to choose from in the wide to mid telephoto range. Overall, I have been very happy with my m43 gear.

I recently decided to buy a new DSLR to use alongside my m43 gear for the usual reasons (to use with specific lenses, fast AF + tracking, slightly better DR and high-ISO performance). After first trying the 70D, which I did not like, I bought a D7000 that I am pretty happy with. It performs well, as expected, but after 18 months without a DSLR I had forgotten how big and heavy these things are. By comparison to my G3s, it is pretty big.

The D7000 has a good reputation and I am enjoying mine, but I hadn't realized how nice the m43 gear is. Most of the time my m43 gear gets me the photo I need or want, and it really is compact and lightweight.

When I was looking for an new interchangeable lens camera 3+ years ago, after much research and the obligatory agonizing ;-), I narrowed it down to a GH2 and D7000. As a long time Nikon shooter since the mid-80s, I REALLY wanted a Nikon, but after numerous trips to B&H and handling both, I decided to go with the GH2. I just couldn't make peace with the D7000. Actually, the D7000 made me laugh every time I handled one… and not in a good way.

SO, size and weight were the main and determining factors for me, but also the ability to adapt my old Nikon lenses. Since a system is really about the lenses, when considering M4/3 the Panasonic 7-14mm and Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f0.95 were big deciding factors. Those were the two lenses I really wanted. It took a 7 month wait to get the Voigtländer, but it was well worth it!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads