Odd G1X MK2 focusing quirk

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Mr Sincere
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
Odd G1X MK2 focusing quirk
8 months ago

I hate to admit it, as I'm absolutely infatuated with this camera, but I've been noticing some quirky focusing behavior in low light, and was wondering if anyone had encountered the same.

Jeff Keller mentioned this in the first impressions review:

"In taking the night scene above (which may look familiar to some), the G1 X II absolutely refused to focus. It would just give up, and display the dreaded yellow box, regardless of whether I was using AiAF or single-point focus modes. Having taken this photo hundreds of times with different cameras, this was very unusual."

I'd actually been pretty pleased with the AF performance, and initially paid no attention to that part of the review.

But then the weather finally cleared up, and I went out for a night walk that I like to do with every new camera I purchase. Every other camera I've owned (and it's been quite a few) has done fine in regards to focus on this same walk at night. Some might be slow (x100, x-e1, e-p2) but would still eventually lock onto something. My last compact camera, an LX7, always did exceptionally well.

I'm afraid that wasn't quite the case with the g1x mk2. There were quite a few occasions where even at full wide and 2.0, the camera was just refusing to grab a focus lock on scenes with plenty of contrast, and what I considered adequate brightness. Deflating experience.

I've spent the last few days fiddling with settings, seeing if I could find a workaround of some sort. Oddly enough I did find a quite strange workaround: moving the focus point in any direction just one click seems to somehow enable the camera to focus on objects it would previously fail on (of course reframing to keep the focus point at the same place on the subject).

The following steps have been repeatable now in a few circumstances:

1) Try to focus on an object - yellow square fail.  Repeatable through multiple focus attempts.

2) Move focus point one click in any direction, and recompose accordingly.

3) Try to focus on same object and area - green lock square.  Again, repeatable on subsequent attempts.

4) Move focus point back to center and recompose.

5) Goto 1.

Strange, right?  Does anyone have a possible explanation?

Or has anyone else noticed higher than expected AF fail rates in some lower light situations?  If so, you may want to try moving the focus point, and seeing if anything changes.

I'm tempted to try an exchange, but don't want to open another box if this is just the way things are.

Mr Sincere's gear list:Mr Sincere's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,383
Like?
Re: Odd G1X MK2 focusing quirk
In reply to Mr Sincere, 8 months ago

I had similar issues when I was testing the camera in a canon store. Anything less than ideal light will gave it issues, it even had issues in normal conditions. When it did focus, it didn't do so nearly as quick or accurately as the RX100MII I had.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?

That's strange indeed. I read somewhere (I'm not owning the camera yet) that you can modify the size of the AF square. Have you tried a smaller or larger AF area to see if that helps?

Mr Sincere
Like?
In reply to J_dpr, 8 months ago

J_dpr wrote:

That's sttrange indeed. I read somewhere (I'm not owning the camera yet) that you can modify the size of the AF square. Have you tried a smaller or larger AF area to see if that helps?

Actually the first thing I tried.  Didn't seem to make a difference, which is a shame since that setting is retained through power-ups.  The focus point location isn't, however, which makes it an inconvenient workaround.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 719Gear list
Like?

Mr Sincere wrote:

I hate to admit it, as I'm absolutely infatuated with this camera, but I've been noticing some quirky focusing behavior in low light, and was wondering if anyone had encountered the same.

"In taking the night scene above (which may look familiar to some), the G1 X II absolutely refused to focus. It would just give up, and display the dreaded yellow box, regardless of whether I was using AiAF or single-point focus modes. Having taken this photo hundreds of times with different cameras, this was very unusual."

I'd actually been pretty pleased with the AF performance, and initially paid no attention to that part of the review.

But then the weather finally cleared up, and I went out for a night walk that I like to do with every new camera I purchase. Every other camera I've owned (and it's been quite a few) has done fine in regards to focus on this same walk at night. Some might be slow (x100, x-e1, e-p2) but would still eventually lock onto something. My last compact camera, an LX7, always did exceptionally well.

I'm afraid that wasn't quite the case with the g1x mk2. There were quite a few occasions where even at full wide and 2.0, the camera was just refusing to grab a focus lock on scenes with plenty of contrast, and what I considered adequate brightness. Deflating experience.

I've spent the last few days fiddling with settings, seeing if I could find a workaround of some sort. Oddly enough I did find a quite strange workaround: moving the focus point in any direction just one click seems to somehow enable the camera to focus on objects it would previously fail on (of course reframing to keep the focus point at the same place on the subject).

1) Try to focus on an object - yellow square fail. Repeatable through multiple focus attempts.

3) Try to focus on same object and area - green lock square. Again, repeatable on subsequent attempts.

5) Goto 1.

Strange, right? Does anyone have a possible explanation?

Or has anyone else noticed higher than expected AF fail rates in some lower light situations? If so, you may want to try moving the focus point, and seeing if anything changes.

I'm tempted to try an exchange, but don't want to open another box if this is just the way things are.

No, you're not alone.  Mine has the same problem in low light.  I also am somewhat ruined by the excellent focusing ability of both my LX7 (which I no longer have) and then my GX7.  Both are  very fast and accurate with the GX7 having the ability to focus in pinpoint mode which also works well.  Some conditions just seem to fool the G1XmkII.  I have the best luck finding an edge of some kind either vertical or horizontal very near my desired focus point and then recomposing.  Another option I tried which seemed to work better in low light was the Face AiAf mode.  I normally can't stand that modes imprecision but it did seem to increase efficiency in low light.

I am hoping for a firmware fix of this - we shall see.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,685Gear list
Like?

That is very annoying and downright scary to those of us contemplating getting this camera.  I can't imagine what could make it behave that way.  It also seems to be affecting more than one camera.  I know that misery loves company.  But not so much in this case.

I hope this can be resolved, or that Canon will release a firmware update to correct the issue.  There is too much good about the camera to have something like this spoil the fun.  I am so sorry....

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +34 more
Ranlee
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, 8 months ago

Dale Buhanan wrote:

That is very annoying and downright scary to those of us contemplating getting this camera. I can't imagine what could make it behave that way. It also seems to be affecting more than one camera. I know that misery loves company. But not so much in this case.

I hope this can be resolved, or that Canon will release a firmware update to correct the issue. There is too much good about the camera to have something like this spoil the fun. I am so sorry....

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

This is going to take more study I think. I'm sitting in a relatively dark room. 3 roof windows with shades drawn - early evening. There is about a 3.5' space between my roof windows with knotty oak boards (enough texture contrast normally but with the relative brightness of the windows I can barely make out the grain 6 feet away, naked eye). The MkII will not focus on any area between the windows while the windows are showing in the viewfinder. Zoom in to eliminate the windows and it may focus a little better, not much. Put the focusing reticle even the tiniest bit into any of the window frame lit up by the window and it will focus easily every time. Now the strange thing is that without zooming, simply aiming up above the window at the roof peak where there is no window in the frame it focuses just fine yet it is just as dark if not a little darker. Same wood grain.

Test 2, tried the same thing with my GX7 and 20mm 1.7 and my GM1 with 12-32. Both acted exactly the same as the Canon. Unable to focus in the area between the windows but no problem when the raised above the windows with no strong light in the frame. Both Pany's focus faster and are much easier to focus on a smaller objects accurately. In fact the GX7 can focus on little more than a pinpoint area but they are still unable to focus in the same areas the MkII cannot focus. At least in my inner sanctum.;-)

Long story short, I'm not sure its that much of a problem. More experience will tell. Also, I don't presume to speak for anyone else. We all have different needs and tolerances.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
Hinder
Contributing MemberPosts: 541Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ranlee, 8 months ago

Bummer, I shall wait.  I don't need to keep sending them back six times like I had to do with my sx280.

Hinder's gear list:Hinder's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +17 more
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,685Gear list
Like?

Ranlee wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

That is very annoying and downright scary to those of us contemplating getting this camera. I can't imagine what could make it behave that way. It also seems to be affecting more than one camera. I know that misery loves company. But not so much in this case.

I hope this can be resolved, or that Canon will release a firmware update to correct the issue. There is too much good about the camera to have something like this spoil the fun. I am so sorry....

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

This is going to take more study I think. I'm sitting in a relatively dark room. 3 roof windows with shades drawn - early evening. There is about a 3.5' space between my roof windows with knotty oak boards (enough texture contrast normally but with the relative brightness of the windows I can barely make out the grain 6 feet away, naked eye). The MkII will not focus on any area between the windows while the windows are showing in the viewfinder. Zoom in to eliminate the windows and it may focus a little better, not much. Put the focusing reticle even the tiniest bit into any of the window frame lit up by the window and it will focus easily every time. Now the strange thing is that without zooming, simply aiming up above the window at the roof peak where there is no window in the frame it focuses just fine yet it is just as dark if not a little darker. Same wood grain.

Test 2, tried the same thing with my GX7 and 20mm 1.7 and my GM1 with 12-32. Both acted exactly the same as the Canon. Unable to focus in the area between the windows but no problem when the raised above the windows with no strong light in the frame. Both Pany's focus faster and are much easier to focus on a smaller objects accurately. In fact the GX7 can focus on little more than a pinpoint area but they are still unable to focus in the same areas the MkII cannot focus. At least in my inner sanctum.;-)

Long story short, I'm not sure its that much of a problem. More experience will tell. Also, I don't presume to speak for anyone else. We all have different needs and tolerances.

Thanks for that information, Randy.  Interesting tests and results.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +34 more
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,638Gear list
Like?

I´ve found some focusing quirks on my SL1 also. AF hunting with never ending oscillation, unable to focus to few things and so on. I think pretty every cam has this at some point. But in DPRs review, it looks too much - because only G1X II had that problem here...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
afm
afm
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?

I think any sort of firmware fix will be a long time coming from Canon.  There was no such for the G1X.  Moved to Fuji where firmware updates are the norm.  Good luck with the work around.

afm's gear list:afm's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Max@Home
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,670Gear list
Like?

Mr Sincere wrote:

1) Try to focus on an object - yellow square fail. Repeatable through multiple focus attempts.

3) Try to focus on same object and area - green lock square. Again, repeatable on subsequent attempts.

5) Goto 1.

Strange, right? Does anyone have a possible explanation?

Or has anyone else noticed higher than expected AF fail rates in some lower light situations? If so, you may want to try moving the focus point, and seeing if anything changes.

Indeed it does as-you-described, in low-loight AND in Macro/CloseUp shots... I had not noticed this before, because I almost always move the Focussing Point over my subject(s) first and hardly use the central AF point :-), but indeed, at the Central AF point the AF is 'less smooth and solid' than when you adjust the FP first...

...or perhaps this is a build-in quirk to force G1X-2 users to keep their subjects out of the middle (often makes for less attractive images) and use 'any' of the other AF possibilities...

...€0.02...

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

-- hide signature --

Max@Home - Castricum - The Netherlands (see profile for equipment)
www.pbase.com/max_at_home (mind you, use underscores!)

Max@Home's gear list:Max@Home's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot Pro1 Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 20D +7 more
Mr Sincere
Like?
In reply to Max@Home, 8 months ago

Max@Home wrote:

Indeed it does as-you-described, in low-loight AND in Macro/CloseUp shots... I had not noticed this before, because I almost always move the Focussing Point over my subject(s) first and hardly use the central AF point :-), but indeed, at the Central AF point the AF is 'less smooth and solid' than when you adjust the FP first...

Glad to read this (well, sorta), because it makes me feel like I wasn't completely insane for noticing it.

...or perhaps this is a build-in quirk to force G1X-2 users to keep their subjects out of the middle (often makes for less attractive images) and use 'any' of the other AF possibilities...

Perhaps.  I do use an old school "focus and recompose" technique, always using center AF point then recomposing.  It's really hard for me to imagine shooting any other way.  90% of my shots are "off the cuff" where I don't really feel like I have time to move focus points around.

If there's interest, I can cut up and upload a video I took demonstrating this phenomena.  It's terrible quality though.

Mr Sincere
Like?

Ranlee wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

Randy

Thanks for doing that testing Randy.

It's interesting to read you found that the GX7 didn't do much better than the G1X mk2.  I was using an em5 with a few different lenses as my "control", and found it did reliably better in circumstances that troubled the g1x mk2.  This wasn't surprising, but gave me some confidence I wasn't just picking subjects that lacked the contrast for CDAF.  Again, I'm not even talking about speed, I'm talking about the ability to even focus.

If you find another subject that your g1x mk2 fails to lock on, try to move the focus point one click in any direction, and then try again.  I've found this simple change makes a world of difference.  It makes zero sense from a technical point of view, but I've found again and again that there's a large difference.  Definitely feels like a firmware bug of some sort.

Thanks again for the contribution.

Ranlee
Like?

Mr Sincere wrote:

Ranlee wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

Randy

It's interesting to read you found that the GX7 didn't do much better than the G1X mk2. I was using an em5 with a few different lenses as my "control", and found it did reliably better in circumstances that troubled the g1x mk2. This wasn't surprising, but gave me some confidence I wasn't just picking subjects that lacked the contrast for CDAF. Again, I'm not even talking about speed, I'm talking about the ability to even focus.

If you find another subject that your g1x mk2 fails to lock on, try to move the focus point one click in any direction, and then try again. I've found this simple change makes a world of difference. It makes zero sense from a technical point of view, but I've found again and again that there's a large difference. Definitely feels like a firmware bug of some sort.

Your welcome of course but I'm sorry I haven't helped.  I did wander around the house for a half hour this evening finding dark things the MkII didn't want to focus on and then trying your moving the focus point technique, and either fortunately or unfortunately I couldn't make it work as yours does.  I also tried the GM1 again and once again it mimicked the MKII in focusing proficiency.  I accidently left my GX7 at my woods so its out of the picture for now.

You've probably tried everything but I'll drop a couple options anyway just in case they help.  First, you can save the moved focus point to Custom 1 or 2.  You might try that since yours is more sensitive one notch moved.  At least you wouldn't have to move it off center each time you power up.

The other thing is more complicated to describe.  I normally do as you do with the center focus and then recompose method.  The problem I have when it can't achieve focus is it usually leaves me with a totally unfocused screen.  In these cases (such as my window test shooting)  switching to AiAF mode may not grab the focus area I wanted but it always focused on something so then I could use the AF/MF option to manually focus as a fine tune so to speak since I was already quite close to having focus where I wanted it.  Hope that makes sense.

Overall, in my case, I think I was guilty of expecting too much from the MkII as far as focusing.   The comparison to the Pany's showed me I wasn't judging fairly.  I do wish the focusing reticle could be made smaller than its smallest size.  I'm not sure why it's not allowed.  I noticed that using the touch focus option on occasion leaves a very small reticle (about 1/4 the size) so its certainly should be possible.   Oh well.  I hope you can sort yours out.  Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Randy

Mr Sincere
Like?

Ranlee wrote:

Mr Sincere wrote:

Ranlee wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

Randy

It's interesting to read you found that the GX7 didn't do much better than the G1X mk2. I was using an em5 with a few different lenses as my "control", and found it did reliably better in circumstances that troubled the g1x mk2. This wasn't surprising, but gave me some confidence I wasn't just picking subjects that lacked the contrast for CDAF. Again, I'm not even talking about speed, I'm talking about the ability to even focus.

If you find another subject that your g1x mk2 fails to lock on, try to move the focus point one click in any direction, and then try again. I've found this simple change makes a world of difference. It makes zero sense from a technical point of view, but I've found again and again that there's a large difference. Definitely feels like a firmware bug of some sort.

Your welcome of course but I'm sorry I haven't helped. I did wander around the house for a half hour this evening finding dark things the MkII didn't want to focus on and then trying your moving the focus point technique, and either fortunately or unfortunately I couldn't make it work as yours does. I also tried the GM1 again and once again it mimicked the MKII in focusing proficiency. I accidently left my GX7 at my woods so its out of the picture for now.

That's mildly reassuring.  Hopefully whatever I noticed isn't a systematic issue.  It's hard for me to imagine a mechanical issue that would vary from camera to camera that would cause what I noticed, but who knows.

You've probably tried everything but I'll drop a couple options anyway just in case they help. First, you can save the moved focus point to Custom 1 or 2. You might try that since yours is more sensitive one notch moved. At least you wouldn't have to move it off center each time you power up.

Thank you!  This tip alone may have gained my g1x mk2 a reprieve from a return trip to B&H.  I don't mind working with the focus area one click removed from center, and your tip does in fact mean I don't have to reset it on each power up.  This may be all I need.

Overall, in my case, I think I was guilty of expecting too much from the MkII as far as focusing.

I'm the first to argue the the g1x mk2 is fairly priced, but I don't think it's unfair to expect good focusing performance from a $800 camera.  But on the other hand, if yours is performing the same as your GX7 and GM1, then there's probably nothing to worry about.

I do wish the focusing reticle could be made smaller than its smallest size. I'm not sure why it's not allowed.

Have you noticed you can downsize it one notch?  At that smaller setting I found it a pretty good size.  You just need to click the focus area select button, then rotate the inner lens ring.  I'm sure you've already done this, but worth pointing out again in case you haven't.

Thank you again.  Very helpful.

GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,105Gear list
Like?
In reply to afm, 8 months ago

afm wrote:

I think any sort of firmware fix will be a long time coming from Canon. There was no such for the G1X. Moved to Fuji where firmware updates are the norm. Good luck with the work around.

I was unfortunate enough to have the Fuji X10 where it took a year, after plenty of denials, for the company to do something about punch holes in your image. Good luck with that.

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G1 X II Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
snofox
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?

FWIW I found the same problem with the G1X trying to focus on cars at dusk or just before dark. I found that if I moved the focus point to a point of strong contrast (e.g. the contrast between bumper and darkened grill area) the camera focused much better. Not one photo from that camera was out of focus using this method, so it might be useful info. BTW, I was usually at a pretty small aperture (f8 or higher), so that helped to keep the entire car in focus once I achieved a lock. But I could always get a lock.

snofox's gear list:snofox's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
shg
shg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,376Gear list
Like?

I have the focusing problem too where the camera can't focus and I get yellow focus frame. This happened with me indoor with tungsten light when I was using macro and again the other night in a club with low lights where the camera could not focus even the focus assistant light was on. Solution was to focus and recompose and this was very annoying, it took at least 4-5 seconds trying different focus area until successful focus was obtained. This happened several times with different objects at different locations in the same club.

shg's gear list:shg's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +2 more
grey-ghost
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
In reply to shg, 8 months ago

shg wrote:

I have the focusing problem too where the camera can't focus and I get yellow focus frame. This happened with me indoor with tungsten light when I was using macro and again the other night in a club with low lights where the camera could not focus even the focus assistant light was on. Solution was to focus and recompose and this was very annoying, it took at least 4-5 seconds trying different focus area until successful focus was obtained. This happened several times with different objects at different locations in the same club.

I am frequently baffled by a forum post and thread that describes the direct opposite of my experience with a camera - and this one is so much the opposite of my experience that I have decided to respond with another view.

I took the G1X MK II test shot below in our basement rec. room (and it is a test shot, using the most readily available low lit object) - no lights on at all and the only illumination coming from north facing french doors about 18 feet away to the left (and I might add on a very dark and rainy day.)  As can be figured from the exif data, the ambient light was about 13 stops below sunny f/16!!!  Shutter assist beam was NOT used, focus frame was set at default location (middle of image), focus was quick and accurate (slight image blur is likely due to shutter shock, camera movement at low shutter speed or extremely narrow DoF.)

Granted the subject has distinct lines and reasonable tonal contrast, but it is certainly a low light  example.  Am I missing something?  What more could one ask for in terms of low light focusing performance?

Low light focus test.

-- hide signature --

Carpe Diem,
Mike

grey-ghost's gear list:grey-ghost's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads