12-28 wide zoom ...any rumours?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Michael Perham
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?
12-28 wide zoom ...any rumours?
5 months ago

Pentax have had this one on the road map for some time showing "2013 or later".  I am assuming like the 12-24, 10-17 fisheye, et al, it will share optical design with the Tokina lens of that focal length.  Any rumours as to when they may bring this lens out?

Michael Perham's gear list:Michael Perham's gear list
Fujifilm XQ1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +2 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,840Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-28 wide zoom ...any rumours?
In reply to Michael Perham, 5 months ago

We've only seen what's on the roadmap and Pentax are sure to have a lens patent in that FL vicinity so it would be a reasonable assumption.  They might announce some things in the summer and Photokina is this fall (was a dud last time if I recall though).  Ricoh might be on a different schedule than former owners as well.  We don't have a very good rumour mill around here.  I figured out the 645Z by reading SAR.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wheatfield7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,168
Like?

Michael Perham wrote:

Pentax have had this one on the road map for some time showing "2013 or later". I am assuming like the 12-24, 10-17 fisheye, et al, it will share optical design with the Tokina lens of that focal length. Any rumours as to when they may bring this lens out?

Its hard to imagine how they could improve on the 12-24. I would like to see a 10mm or shorter rectilinear though. An 8-16mm would be a cool lens.

Michael Perham
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, 5 months ago

Petroglyph wrote:

...They might announce some things in the summer and Photokina is this fall (was a dud last time if I recall though). Ricoh might be on a different schedule than former owners as well. We don't have a very good rumour mill around here. I figured out the 645Z by reading SAR.

I'll stash $1K in my secret account (the one my wife doesn't know I have) and wait for Photokina and hope for the best.  I think if no indication of the 24-28 by then, I'll spring for the 12-24.

Fujifilm XQ1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +2 more
justin23
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,230Gear list
Like?

There is a patent for a 12-35 mm lens.

I'm 100% certain it will not share a tokina design. The only reason the 10-17 and 12-24 did, was because at the time they were sharing designs. well actually other than the 12-24 tokina were remaking pentax designed lenses. The 12-24 was a Tokina Design.

that said its certain to have WR which is what I'm waiting for and probably DC motor.....

I'm expecting photokina announcement hopefully.

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
Michael Perham
Like?
In reply to justin23, 5 months ago

justin23 wrote:

There is a patent for a 12-35 mm lens.

I'm 100% certain it will not share a tokina design. The only reason the 10-17 and 12-24 did, was because at the time they were sharing designs. well actually other than the 12-24 tokina were remaking pentax designed lenses. The 12-24 was a Tokina Design.

that said its certain to have WR which is what I'm waiting for and probably DC motor.....

I'm expecting photokina announcement hopefully.

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

12-35 would be even better for my purposes.  I am looking for a landscape lens that goes wider than my 16-50, and I would also use it as a walk about lens as I do the 16-50.  My only concern is if the IQ was as good as the Tokina 12-28.   Still, I will hold out till Photokina and see what that brings.

Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,593Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wheatfield7, 5 months ago

Wheatfield7 wrote:

Its hard to imagine how they could improve on the 12-24.

WR and SDM.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +21 more
fotobert
Contributing MemberPosts: 631Gear list
Like?
In reply to Barry Pearson, 5 months ago

leave out SDM and set DC. SDM means Sometimes Device Malfunctions or so?!

Albert

fotobert's gear list:fotobert's gear list
Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads