Florida Keys - Places to photograph

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,403Gear list
Like?
5 months ago

I'll be driving to the Florida Keys in a couple of weeks and I've never been south of Key Largo. I could be there just over a week if I chose to, so I'll have time.

Please suggest places I should see and photograph.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Pantyhose Bandit
Contributing MemberPosts: 598Gear list
Like?
Re: Florida Keys - Places to photograph
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 5 months ago

Take a boat to the Dry Tortugas.

Other than that, sunsets and sunrise. The architecture isn't that interesting. I can't remember the name o fthe street with all the bars but that's a bit boring.

I liked Key West when I went. I had a look into visiting the place where Key Largo was filmed then found the bar was totally fictitious and a Hollywood set.

Have a look at my trip to Key West .

Pantyhose Bandit's gear list:Pantyhose Bandit's gear list
Leica S2 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Brother MFC-J6910dw Echo One File Juicer Vertu Ti +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,885Gear list
Like?

Key West is the primary destination.

5d2 + 35L @ f/1.4

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S III
jackdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
Like?

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

I'll be driving to the Florida Keys in a couple of weeks and I've never been south of Key Largo. I could be there just over a week if I chose to, so I'll have time.

Please suggest places I should see and photograph.

Rent scooters, get a map and explore. You will see plenty of photo ops from a scooter.

Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,827Gear list
Like?

Find one of the bars with a sunset view. Order a margarita. Put the camera down. Drink the margarita.

You'll have plenty of opportunities to take photos of sunsets, but only a few to have a margarita while watching one in the Keys.

But seriously, consider taking the ferry out to Dry Tortugas National Park, which i think might be right up your alley for nature photography.

http://www.nps.gov/drto/index.htm

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Andaremos
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?

Check out Bahia Honda State Park. It has a nice beach. I have been wanting to bring down the kayaks to explore the flats around Big Pine Key, Summerland, and Sugarloaf Keys. Photos from the water could turn out to be your most interesting ones.

Eduardo
http://www.andaremos.com

Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 5 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

But seriously, consider taking the ferry out to Dry Tortugas National Park, which i think might be right up your alley for nature photography.

But it my understanding that there is no place to stow your camera out there if you want to go in the water??

-- hide signature --

Florida
I'm going to the Florida Keys in early May. Offer suggestions in the thread below. Thanks.
Winter Wonderful Land Flickr Set
Fall Colors 2013 Flickr Set

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Like?
In reply to jackdan, 5 months ago

jackdan wrote:

Rent scooters, get a map and explore. You will see plenty of photo ops from a scooter.

Your suggestion seems to indicate that getting around in a car is a bit of a chore?

-- hide signature --

Florida
I'm going to the Florida Keys in early May. Offer suggestions in the thread below. Thanks.

Pantyhose Bandit
Contributing MemberPosts: 598Gear list
Like?

I'd say don't bother with scooters. Driving is an immense chore. Walking is the way everybody gets around. Mind out for the chickens on the loose too!

Everything in Key West is within a 20 minute walk.

Pantyhose Bandit's gear list:Pantyhose Bandit's gear list
Leica S2 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Brother MFC-J6910dw Echo One File Juicer Vertu Ti +2 more
Like?
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, 5 months ago

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Unlikely that it will keep me entertained for a week, thought, right?

-- hide signature --

Florida

jackdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
Like?

jackdan wrote:

Your suggestion seems to indicate that getting around in a car is a bit of a chore?

You can decide how to get around after you are there, but yeah you will probably not want to do much driving. Scooters are a common basic,practical mode of transportation. Check Google maps to get the lay of the land. Here are some walking maps that will give you an idea of distances.

http://www.mapmywalk.com/us/key-west-fl/

Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,885Gear list
Like?

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Unlikely that it will keep me entertained for a week, thought, right?

Nighttime, it is pretty much the place the be; but daytime, there are a lot of other opportunities.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S III
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,827Gear list
Like?

Jim Salvas wrote:

But it my understanding that there is no place to stow your camera out there if you want to go in the water??

-- hide signature --

Florida

I think that's true. We did not go in the water when we were there years ago. Another downside was that, if you make a day trip, you're there only in the middle of the day. It was still an interesting trip.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
jvceac
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 5 months ago

Think about going to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park near Key Largo, reserve a spot on the snorkeling boat that takes you out to the reef. If you have or can get a waterproof camera (I took am Olympus Tough) take it with you. I had a 5' or better spotted eagle ray swim right under me.

jvceac's gear list:jvceac's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305Gear list
Like?

If you want to photograph a variety of Florida birds up close as well as some flying ones, you might want to stop at the Florida Keys Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center 93600 Overseas Hwy Tavernier, FL.

Since they feed the injured birds, many wild birds show up for the food.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,177
Like?
Key West: Fort Zachary Taylor

Nice beaches, adjacent to the fort. They have a large collection of Civil War - Era cannon there...

Key West, within walking distance of the Fort, free parking too!

Schooner off Key West

One of many cannon at Fort Zachary Taylor

Like?
In reply to jvceac, 5 months ago

jvceac wrote:

If you have or can get a waterproof camera (I took am Olympus Tough) take it with you.

I thought about that. I don't know if it would be worth it to get a good one because I won't use it much. I don't know if it would be worth it to get a cheap one because of the IQ.

I do plan to do some snorkeling so it would be nice to be able to do that. Any thoughts on $$ vs IQ?

Thanks to all who are responding.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Like?
In reply to jvceac, 5 months ago

jvceac wrote:

Think about going to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park near Key Largo, reserve a spot on the snorkeling boat that takes you out to the reef.

How far in advance do you have to do that?

-- hide signature --

Florida

Beachcomber Joe
Regular MemberPosts: 427
Like?

It's been a few years since my last workshop in Key West so things may have changed a bit. Traffic probably hasn't, so a car is an inconvenience. Scooters are a bit better but they still need to be parked. A bicycle or walking is what many choose. Also consider buying a pass for the Trolley, there are several competing companies. You can get on and off all day and it stops at many of the spots you will want to photograph.

Photographing the sunset and people at Mallory Square at sunset is fun. After dark you can then stroll around, shooting the street life along Duval, the Tropic Cinema, and the ships and shops along the waterfront.

During the day there are a number of interesting old houses on the side streets around Duval Street. The Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory is worth a stop as is Martello Tower. The graveyard also makes an interesting photo op. There are also a number of photographers with galleries that are worth a visit. Alan S. Maltz is probably the most widely known.

On the drive down take your photo ops as you see them. There is all sorts of interesting stuff along US1. The Seven Mile Bridge is probably the most photographed. Look for the Key Deer as you pass through Big Pine and No Name Keys. If you get to Key Largo around lunch time take Card Sound Road instead of US1 and have lunch at Alabama Jacks.

PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,671
Like?
It's a place of color

for whatever reason, however irrational, when I got back from Key West, I couldn't help but want to oversaturate every photo I took...

Artistes

Sculpture

Bars

Glass-bottom boats

Architecture

Starfish

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads